MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

55 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

I'm doing the two year program! I have visited Boston before and I really love the area. The certificate options are also very appealing to me. However, I've heard from many that degrees from Boston are very well respected but more so if you would like to remain in the Massachusetts area. Would you mind sharing the job locations of which the people you know received offers? That might be helpful for me. My main issue is that I am from NY and I also love Boston... so with no preference in location it makes it even harder to decide. I really appreciate your input SO much, so thank you!! :)  

Sure! I know some people who work for BAGLY( for lgbtq+ youth) doing therapy, at community health centers and hospitals, in home therapists, child therapists in RI, mental health centers in Brookline/Brighton area. So kind of all over! So mostly in MA I don't know many outside other than RI

Edited by Polcc

41 minutes ago, ABCMSW said:

I applied Dec. 15th and was admitted on Jan. 22nd. Hoping they send out the need based awards soon. How much did they give you in merit scholarship, if you don't mind me asking?

About $30k. I got about $40k for Case Western. You?

1 minute ago, savannah723 said:

Did anyone apply to UT Knoxville/have you heard back yet?

omg this made my heart so happy, I went to UT Knox for undergrad!!! I didn't apply there for my MSW but if you get in and have questions about anything pls let me know

On 2/20/2020 at 11:25 AM, HKC said:

Just got my financial aid offer from Michigan, FAFSA and merit based. Not great.... was hoping for more. Did anyone else feel like they didn't get the best offer from UMich? 

I got into a special program and a dean's scholarship but because I am out of state it still does not beat my offer from WashU or even UChicago - makes me sad cause I was really pumped about the special program :(

41 minutes ago, perfectamity said:

About $30k. I got about $40k for Case Western. You?

Nice, congrats on that! WashU gave me 60k. It is my most competitive offer so far but I am waiting on all of the financial packages before making a decision. UChicago told me they are trying to get the financial aid packages out asap but because they have a later start date it can take longer. Fingers crossed...

4 minutes ago, ABCMSW said:

Nice, congrats on that! WashU gave me 60k. It is my most competitive offer so far but I am waiting on all of the financial packages before making a decision. UChicago told me they are trying to get the financial aid packages out asap but because they have a later start date it can take longer. Fingers crossed...

wow, 60k! That's money in the bank right there!

On 2/20/2020 at 11:15 AM, NicoleDes said:

Anyone else here SO indecisive???? I really did not expect to have the options that I do and I am so torn. It's been all I can think about... I'm on the younger side of applicants (or so I assume), I'm graduating in 3 years with my BA this May and coming straight from undergrad... I want to make the best possible decision but deciding on something this big at my age seems so crazy to me lol... if anyone else is also stressing feel free to message me to talk 

I don't expect this is advice you want to hear, but my #1 piece of advice as someone who went straight from undergrad to grad school is to either defer for at least a year to get some work experience/perspective or make sure to keep the amount of student debt to a minimum. Like many, I took out loans to help with living expenses, and I am now bogged down with six figures of student debt. Try to avoid that if you can -- it all sounds theoretical now but it is a lot to manage long term.

3 hours ago, NicoleDes said:

Anyone else here SO indecisive???? I really did not expect to have the options that I do and I am so torn. It's been all I can think about... I'm on the younger side of applicants (or so I assume), I'm graduating in 3 years with my BA this May and coming straight from undergrad... I want to make the best possible decision but deciding on something this big at my age seems so crazy to me lol... if anyone else is also stressing feel free to message me to talk 

This is literally me 100%. Deciding a big portion of my future at 20 was not what I expected when I entered college two and a half years ago. I'm visiting several schools soon but am completing full Ginn models to try and weigh where would fit best with my wants and needs. I am SO LOST THOUGH. 

On 2/20/2020 at 1:45 PM, SMLDC said:

I don't expect this is advice you want to hear, but my #1 piece of advice as someone who went straight from undergrad to grad school is to either defer for at least a year to get some work experience/perspective or make sure to keep the amount of student debt to a minimum. Like many, I took out loans to help with living expenses, and I am now bogged down with six figures of student debt. Try to avoid that if you can -- it all sounds theoretical now but it is a lot to manage long term.

I hate to say this but I second this advice. It can be really hard to go right into grad school from undergrad because you run into the trap of being over qualified but under experienced.. I have many friends who did this and they were passed over for jobs because the entry level positions did not require a masters degree and the ones that werent entry level required more experience. @NicoleDes its so commendable that you want to move straight through and just be done- totally get that- but if you do decide to work for a year and defer... then at least you get some experience under your belt and have a grad program waiting for you at the end of that year. Take it from someone in their 30's- there is no need to rush :) Jobs and such will be waiting for you no matter when you do grad school. 

Question for people who applied to UMichigan by the Feb. 1st deadline- has anybody heard back yet? I know Dec. 1st people have heard back..but.. have Feb. 1st deadline people heard anything? I realize its SUPER early to even ask this.. I'm just curious :) 

Also, is anyone doing Columbia's two year online MSW (Rather than residential)? I'm having second thoughts on denying my admission to Columbia..and I'm now weighing Michigan Vs Columbia... or rather- 16 mo MSW at Michigan compared to 24 month (2 year) online MSW at Columbia. Being in my 30's Im not entirely sure I want to do the whole... on campus experience thing again.. it sounds exhausting haha! 

Hope everyones having a good day!

4 minutes ago, msw2020hi! said:

have people who applied dec 1 for uchicago still waiting for a decision? i had a rec letter submitted 2 weeks late so just wondering if thats why? 

As frustrating as it is to wait, sometimes the schools just get backed up and theres no rhyme or reason for the delay. It definitely could be the letter but it also could just be that they haven't had a chance to review you yet. Hang in there! :) It'll all work out as its meant to. 

8 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Is it ok to be really annoyed that Columbia extended their application deadline but still hasn't gotten back to me about a decision? I know that they are still releasing but WTF.

Hey it's ok to be annoyed at whatever you feel annoyed by :)

8 minutes ago, perfectamity said:

Truth. Feelings are feelings. It's normal to feel them. How you act on them can be a different story.

10 minutes ago, Jen985 said:

Hey it's ok to be annoyed at whatever you feel annoyed by :)

these are such wholesome replies, it's almost like we're all social workers

20 minutes ago, madisonc7 said:

Is it ok to be really annoyed that Columbia extended their application deadline but still hasn't gotten back to me about a decision? I know that they are still releasing but WTF.

Madison at this point I'm emotionally invested in your decision and really hope you get in!!!

3 minutes ago, basw said:

Madison at this point I'm emotionally invested in your decision and really hope you get in!!!

honestly same lol, I've been reading the threads and hoping for good news from CU for you

12 minutes ago, Polcc said:

honestly same lol, I've been reading the threads and hoping for good news from CU for you

17 minutes ago, basw said:

I appreciate the good vibes y'all are sending out into the universe for me. Know it is 100% mutual for your success! This thread has been such a good community to be a part of. It's so nice to know that no matter what, there's someone hundreds of miles away who shares in your feelings. 

2 hours ago, SMLDC said:

I don't expect this is advice you want to hear, but my #1 piece of advice as someone who went straight from undergrad to grad school (MPH at Emory) is to either defer for at least a year to get some work experience/perspective or make sure to keep the amount of student debt to a minimum. Like many, I took out loans to help with living expenses, and I am now bogged down with six figures of student debt. Try to avoid that if you can -- it all sounds theoretical now but it is a lot to manage long term.

I totally agree. I am not accepting any offer without negotiating financial aid. That is something very important to me, which is essentially what is making my decision difficult. However, I am certain that I would like to go straight from undergrad into the program. Although I may not have the professional experience, I have a great deal of experience with regards to clinical research. So I’m confident that this is what I want to do! Thank you so so much for you Input :) 

Edited by NicoleDes

1 minute ago, SWColumbia said:

Was anybody else able to the scholarship appeal and receive more funds?? P.S. this works at other schools as well, not just CU.

Just submitted mine for BC and waiting, I was told I'll hear by mid-march and asked for decision extension until then (even though I've decided to go there lol). I'll update y'all when I hear back tho!

1 hour ago, Jen985 said:

I hate to say this but I second this advice. It can be really hard to go right into grad school from undergrad because you run into the trap of being over qualified but under experienced.. I have many friends who did this and they were passed over for jobs because the entry level positions did not require a masters degree and the ones that werent entry level required more experience. @NicoleDes its so commendable that you want to move straight through and just be done- totally get that- but if you do decide to work for a year and defer... then at least you get some experience under your belt and have a grad program waiting for you at the end of that year. Take it from someone in their 30's- there is no need to rush :) Jobs and such will be waiting for you no matter when you do grad school. 

I totally respect your opinion. And I completely agree. However, I’m very certain that this is what I want and I’m ready to achieve my goals now, even if that means working a bit harder or proving myself more than those with more professional experience have to. As an undergrad, I was fortunate enough to be involved with a clinical lab so I have a lot of strong research experience with regards to my specific area of focus. I’ve also been employed for a non profit program. Had I not been involved with these things, I would think deferring would be way more applicable for my needs.