MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

21 minutes ago, Jen985 said:

You seem offended somehow. Nothing I said was meant that way- I was simply echoing what the other person said, and trying to help. Best of luck to you! 

Omg NO!!! I wasn’t offended in the least. I’m sorry if my tone came off like that- sometimes I know it’s hard to gage online. I was just trying to tell you that I agree with your thoughts and had it been more applicable to me I’d likely be doing what you said!!! Sorry again for any confusion.. I genuinely value everyone’s opinion on here. Best of luck to you too :) 

Edited by NicoleDes

1 hour ago, Mswstudent101 said:

Yep! Just got in. To those that applied priority... there is still hope. I truly am rooting for ALL of you. Doesn’t feel right celebrating when my fellow peeps are still waiting. You all got this! 

I also got in today, did you get scholarship  just curious as I did not ?

27 minutes ago, Jen985 said:

Congrats!! Do you have any thoughts on where you might choose?! :)

Thank you!! I'm definitely going to Penn :) I was really interested in their GRI program and I've worked in prisons before so it's definitely a fantastic fit for me. Plus I love the Philly area! I visited the campus back in September for an info session and fell in love with the school/program

Edited by msw715

5 hours ago, SWColumbia said:

Was anybody else able to the scholarship appeal and receive more funds?? P.S. this works at other schools as well, not just CU.

I did at Penn and am still waiting! They say 3-4 weeks for review

5 hours ago, msw2020hi! said:

another question!! for those of you who are applying to washU, did you select being considered for merit-based scholarship? I got nervous about the required video interview component but can't tell if it's better to just go for it regardless! also, i don't know if they are generous with the need-based scholarship too. thoughts?

I got a merit based scholarship. About $30k. It wasn't a video interview though, it was responding to questions in a recorded video....maybe similar? No idea how generous they are with need based scholarships. Hopefully very generous!

11 hours ago, macoh002 said:

Wow, congrats on Berkeley!!! Did they send an email or do a phone call?

Thanks! It was via email - an email saying that there was an update on the portal. I got a message on the portal yesterday from the overall Berkeley grad school department. Then today I got an email from the school of social welfare. I think they are quite early in the process though.. 

They gave me no money though. I probably going to end up in Columbia :) 

Edited by avizenoi96

7 hours ago, NicoleDes said:

OMG Fulbright? That is awesome!!

Thank you so much for the encouragement and kind words. Everyone on this forum is truly great, and I value what everyone has to say. Cheering you on as well!!! ❤️ 

Ahhh yesss Fulbright it’s prestigious but my ethics behind don’t align BUT nonetheless an experience life has bigger plans trust the process!!! I’m certain you will do amazing ❤️

Hi all! 

I've been reading this thread since the fall and wanted to hop on and actually share my thoughts! I only applied to NYU and Columbia and was accepted to both! Im having a really difficult time deciding which program. I received very similar scholarships, so I'm even more torn. I'm hoping to either be a school based social worker, child welfare or work within juvenile detention centers. I'm not sure what my ideal job would be, I just know I am very interested in working with youth and using trauma informed care. If anyone has any tips or insight, Id love to hear it. Also!! I went to University of Denver for undergrad, I took a few classes in the school of social work. So if anyone has any questions about the school/campus or Denver in general, Id love to chat!! Feel free to send me a PM! Thanks :)

@JilltheGradgal I'm in the exact same boat, deciding between the two. I did my undergrad at NYU, let's chat!

Also, I'm so excited to see acceptances from everyone on this thread! I've been with y'all since before apps are do, and I feel like I practically know everyone! We did it, friends! 

Edited by simonsays

12 hours ago, Mmgaf said:

I did at Penn and am still waiting! They say 3-4 weeks for review

Awesome! Let us know if it ends up well for you.

I am surprised schools are taking that long, as some people would need to see the revised amount before accepting?

Good Luck!

1 hour ago, PsychedOnCaffeine said:

@msw715 I would love to hear about your interview experience, if you're willing! I have my interview next week and just have no idea what to expect tbh.

Mine was with Casey McGovern and it was just a really nice and casual conversation! She really only asked me about the two summer courses I took and my internships. I was expecting more questions but I have a big mouth so it still took up a decent amount of time. She talked a lot about the program and made me even more excited/hopeful to go there :D We also talked about what kind of field placements I would be open to doing since I plan on applying for the GRI but that only covers one year. Of course you also have the chance to ask questions at the end. I'm pretty sure it took about 30 minutes. I think most people have also described their Penn interviews as being super laid-back and chill - I really liked how this application process went, especially considering how they notified me less than a week after the interview! Compared to Columbia who took almost 3 months just to waitlist me, that's pretty good LOL 

Good luck with your interview!!!

Edited by msw715

11 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

I think I’m going to try this with them

I should hopefully hear back next week and will let you know how it goes! Waiting til then to submit my deposit 

8 minutes ago, SWColumbia said:

Awesome! Let us know if it ends up well for you.

I am surprised schools are taking that long, as some people would need to see the revised amount before accepting?

Good Luck!

Penn gives until April 1 so they have a pretty generous timeline, assuming they’d just expect you to extend other offers if you’re waiting to hear about aid 

4 minutes ago, msw715 said:

Mine was with Casey McGovern and it was just a really nice and casual conversation! She really only asked me about the two summer courses I took and my internships. I was expecting more questions but I have a big mouth so it still took up a decent amount of time. She talked a lot about the program and made me even more excited/hopeful to go there :D We also talked about what kind of field placements I would be open to doing since I applied for the GRI but that only covers one year. Of course you also have the chance to ask questions at the end. I'm pretty sure it took about 30 minutes. I think most people have also described their Penn interviews as being super laid-back and chill - I really liked how this application process went, especially considering how they notified me less than a week after the interview! Compared to Columbia who took almost 3 months just to waitlist me, that's pretty good LOL 

Good luck with your interview!!!

I agree with all of this! I interviewed with Penn twice (MSW and MSSP) and both were super chill. Mary Mazzola is the best, she told me she was skipping half the questions because she got enough info from my application/essays, and basically told me she was recommending me for admission then and there. I don’t think she normally does interviews (I had a last minute change of interviewer) but if you have her you are a lucky person!! As a whole, very chill process and nothing to stress about. 

22 minutes ago, Mmgaf said:

Penn gives until April 1 so they have a pretty generous timeline, assuming they’d just expect you to extend other offers if you’re waiting to hear about aid 

Ahh - makes sense, are you set on Penn?

Just had my interview with Bryn Mawr, and it seemed to go really well! She was very relaxed and ended the interview by asking what do I do outside of social work. She then said she’d write up her report and then turn it over to the admissions committee and I should know by next week.

11 hours ago, Djedi22 said:

Ahhh yesss Fulbright it’s prestigious but my ethics behind don’t align BUT nonetheless an experience life has bigger plans trust the process!!! I’m certain you will do amazing ❤️

Thank you so much, I'm certain that you will as well ❤️ !

3 hours ago, PsychedOnCaffeine said:

@msw715 I would love to hear about your interview experience, if you're willing! I have my interview next week and just have no idea what to expect tbh.

My gal asked me about what I really wanted to do with my future, whether I thought I'd be more macro or clinical. Told me a little about the school. Asked what type of field placement I'd be interested in and what skills I thought I could bring that would be an asset to the community. Then pretty much answered any questions I had. Maybe 45 minutes. :)