MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

53 minutes ago, SWColumbia said:

via email! Nothing on the portal had my award info. 

thank you!! yeah i received my original award via email too- just getting impatient to hear back. i want to submit my deposit and make it official!!! 

On 2/24/2020 at 1:53 PM, NYCMSW2020 said:

Feeling frustrated as I still haven’t received my financial aid award info from Columbia yet and it has been two weeks since I was accepted. Is anyone else facing this problem? I imagine they are waiting for their first round picks to accept their packages before they offer aid to others?

I wouldn't overthink it that much re: top picks! Their finc. aid office could just be backed up because the March 3rd deadline for deposit is approaching- I know I submitted an appeal over a week ago and many on this forum have too so I am sure they are just super busy. I recommend calling the office directly. I did when it was taking awhile to hear back about my original award letter and they were so nice and told me when I would hear back (which wound up being exactly right)! 

15 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

That seems to be the standard, which is sort of a bummer. I guess I'll do that ?

UPenn was a little weird to be honest. I went in January, days before their semester started back up. Faculty and students were in and out of the buildings but because I was not a student I was not allowed access inside most buildings. I am not sure if it is different during the regular semester but I didn't have a badge. Maybe there's a guest badge? Just FYI. I saw the outside of most buildings and I was able to get a feel for the campus, but I only got to see inside one building. The security guard let me in to see a few classes. 

9 minutes ago, perfectamity said:

UPenn was a little weird to be honest. I went in January, days before their semester started back up. Faculty and students were in and out of the buildings but because I was not a student I was not allowed access inside most buildings. I am not sure if it is different during the regular semester but I didn't have a badge. Maybe there's a guest badge? Just FYI. I saw the outside of most buildings and I was able to get a feel for the campus, but I only got to see inside one building. The security guard let me in to see a few classes. 

Hmm. I'll email in to some people a few days before I visit and see what I can work out. 

On 2/24/2020 at 3:44 PM, SWColumbia said:

I applied to GMU in early October and heard back mid October? Although once I inquired about further info, like class schedule, aid, email set up etc, they were very unorganized and virtually never got back to me. I crossed them off as an option a while ago - so I stopped following up. For UMB I applied early October (10/11) and Heard back mid Nov (11/22ish). 

As long as you fill the FASFA form out, you should be eligible for the general federal unsubsidized loan I mentioned. You do not need to sign up for anything specifically, as they determine what they can offer you and how many loans they offer. The one I mention is the the base one they offer to every grad student. If you want to know specific amounts, call your schools FASFA office and they should be able to tell you. Another loan FASFA can offer is called grad plus loan, but that one requires a credit check I believe. 

I think every U.S. Citizen qualifies for FASFA and certain eligible non-citizens.

I received the same vibes from them too, the person I spoke to on the phone sounded like she didn't know what she was doing. They're most likely understaffed. I also crossed off GMU awhile ago, especially since I applied back in November and still haven't heard back yet. 

That makes sense, thank you for explaining!

Just got an email from CU saying my application is complete... But I submitted on 12/1 and they told me my application was complete when I called them, anyone knows if this means anything?

3 minutes ago, CluMSW said:

Just got an email from CU saying my application is complete... But I submitted on 12/1 and they told me my application was complete when I called them, anyone knows if this means anything?

idk for sure but im pretty sure i got multiple emails about my application being complete. i think it's a tech error but idk for sure

21 hours ago, Mrobocop said:

Anyone still waiting on Rutgers? I applied to 4 schools on 12/12 and have heard back from everywhere except RU.

I submitted my app to Rutgers on 1/20 and got my acceptance on 2/3! Maybe you should reach out to them?

2 hours ago, CluMSW said:

I got that email too and I had submitted earlier in February. Maybe they were waiting until after the deadline? I dont really know. 

33 minutes ago, Shuklaklakla said:

I got that email too and I had submitted earlier in February. Maybe they were waiting until after the deadline? I dont really know. 

Hey I just called and the lady was super sweet. She said my application was completed in Dec and has been under reviewed, and it's a 'strange one' that I didn't get that confirmation earlier. So I guess it's just a tech issue! She says her best guess is I'd hear by the next week or two, fingers crossed lol. Best of luck to you!!

7 minutes ago, ahhhhh said:

Hi! How long is the average on hearing back from Columbia (advanced standing/residential)? I had to apply late to include my field eval. I would like to have some idea about the length of waiting! 

All of it is really all over the place. Some heard back like a month and a half after, some are waiting for 3 months or more. 

8 hours ago, perfectamity said:

@madisonc7

I scheduled an appt to talk to admissions and was able to walk around the SP2 building while I was there, and then also walked around Wharton, their student center, and got a guest pass to the library. Not sure what else specifically you’d be hoping to access since most everything would be in the SP2 building besides a couple elective classes, but I didn’t find it to be hard to navigate!

On 11/4/2019 at 9:50 PM, SWColumbia said:

Hello All!

I am currently in the application process for MSW programs for Fall 2020. I applied to 7 schools and have heard back from 2 so far! I created this post to discuss the application process, decision, stats and any insight anyone can share. How is everyone else's applications going? 

Schools I'm applying to:

George Mason University - Applied 10/01/2019 - Accepted

University of Maryland - Applied 10/04/19

Rutgers University - Applied 11/3/19

Boston College - Applied 10/29/2019

Boston University 

University of Illinois - Chicago - Applied 10/01/19 - Accepted

University of Chicago

University of Texas - Austin - Applied 10/23/2019

Hello! I also applied to Rutgers MSW and receive feedback of admission about a week ago! Have you heard back yet? Has anyone else received admission for Rutgers MSW?

I applied to both Rutgers and Penn. I got into Rutgers on 2/19, I have an interview with Penn the second week of March. Rutgers sent me a letter with no financial aid information. I spoke with them today. Apparently the awards are listed separately on the Financial Aid section of the website. They did not do my package yet, so no idea how much it will cost. They gave me two weeks to give an answer, but they said I can email for an extension.

Penn had info sessions earlier this year, I went to one and heard admissions information. The University also runs general campus tours, it might be listed on the undergraduate website. My tour did not include the Social Work school, but I saw a lot of different parts of the campus.