MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

I have been closely monitoring this thread throughout my entire application process. My anxiety would not allow me to post (lol) but now that I have acceptances, I feel the courage to. I've applied to NYU, Columbia, Fordham and Temple (online). I'm from NYC, work full-time and will be attending part-time, hence why I haven't applied to any full-time programs like Hunter. So far, I've been accepted to NYU, Columbia and Fordham.

Still trying to decide, but my heart is set on NYU. Is anyone else planning on attending NYU and/or will be a part-time student?

Also, congrats to all those who have been accepted, hoping for all those who are waitlisted, as well as waiting for decisions and sharing hugs with those who have received rejection letters.

Edited by MyMSW2020

OMG I got into columbia today!!! Congrats to everyone else who did, so exciting! I honestly cried a little bit. Does anyone know how long it takes to get scholarship/financial aid info? Also, does anyone know how long the scholarship appeal process for NYU takes? I submitted one about a week ago and haven't heard anything. 

I'm starting to really freak out about deciding where to go. I pretty much ruled out Umich because the friends I know that are in the program really regret it. So right now I'm deciding between NYU, Denver, and Columbia. Anyone else deciding between the same schools or have any input/advice on how to decide??

12 minutes ago, socwork2020 said:

OMG I got into columbia today!!! Congrats to everyone else who did, so exciting! I honestly cried a little bit. Does anyone know how long it takes to get scholarship/financial aid info? Also, does anyone know how long the scholarship appeal process for NYU takes? I submitted one about a week ago and haven't heard anything. 

I'm starting to really freak out about deciding where to go. I pretty much ruled out Umich because the friends I know that are in the program really regret it. So right now I'm deciding between NYU, Denver, and Columbia. Anyone else deciding between the same schools or have any input/advice on how to decide??

Congratulations!!!

8 hours ago, socwork2020 said:

These are my schools to decide between, too! I have Penn on the table as well but I'm not sure they can give me what I'm looking for. 

13 hours ago, socwork2020 said:

why do your friends at umich regret it?

4 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

These are my schools to decide between, too! I have Penn on the table as well but I'm not sure they can give me what I'm looking for. 

no way!! we should definitely chat then, I got the same scholarships to both NYU and Denver as you! which one are you leaning towards? and whats your concentration? 

40 minutes ago, socwork2020 said:

no way!! we should definitely chat then, I got the same scholarships to both NYU and Denver as you! which one are you leaning towards? and whats your concentration? 

Definitely leaning CU because I want to go into refugee and immigration policy and welfare. Plus they do more research, and I'm about to publish for the first time so it's important for me to continue with this. The big decision will happen when i go and visit campuses this weekend. when I went and visited places for undergrad I had a lot of gut feelings that led me somewhere totally unexpected, so I'm hoping it's equally as helpful this time. 

Then I'd say my rankings go NYU, Denver, Penn. 

15 minutes ago, SWKSU said:

I've applied to the University of Houston, Texas State, and am thinking about applying to UT's program for spring admission. So far I've been accepted into Houston! such exciting and nervous times.

Congrats on Houston!!! I toured that program last September and they are so nice! I ended up not applying because I realized that I hated the Texas heat? It is such a nice program, Hope all goes well with Texas State and UT!

If anyone was deferred/waitlisted or whatever you want to call it for Boston University like me, I called today and they basically said "You're not deferred or waitlisted, we are just waiting to review your application with the Feb 10th deadline people to get the full picture" I was like... "So it's a deferment??" crazy. Anyways, she said in the next week or two we should hear back!

On 3/2/2020 at 3:41 PM, basw said:

I know this is a disappointing outcome for you, I'm so sorry! UMich waitlisted me, so I'm trying to remind myself that a waitlist doesn't mean a "no"! Just remember to be kind to yourself and remind yourself that you are worthy. I know it isn't personal, they can't possibly know all the magnificent things about you just by reading your application. 

UMich also waitlisted me lol. I know it's not a no, but I don't really agree with people saying it's a yes. I'm essentially benchwarming, I'm not really playing for the team. I am so happy I'm never applying to schools again, the process is so unbelievably frustrating.

I'm honestly so irritated with CU...I applied Nov 1st, I hear nothing except for social impact live emails until March 2nd when I finally call them. Then I coincidentally get an updated portal yesterday, the day I finally called? Like if you knew I was waitlisted why couldn't you have told me, I find it hard to believe they just made the decision yesterday. It is so annoying it took four months just for them to give a "maybe". Ugh. Kept me waiting SO long just to wait some more. And I don't wanna sound paranoid, but CU was the only application I disclosed that I have Borderline Personality Disorder because I assumed they would be chill about the disorder (it is SO stigmatized) because of the DBT program, which I would've wanted to do, which I talked about in my essay. Now I'm thinking I shot myself in the foot by disclosing that. I'm regretting that essay so much rn. Just needed to vent.

Also, CONGRATS to everyone that got in!!!! You got into a freaking IVY!!!!

Does anyone know when Hunter is supposed to release decisions? Having trouble getting in touch with their office...

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on how the Hunter msw program is regarded? I have gotten so many mixed opinions on Hunter. 

18 minutes ago, NYCMSW2020 said:

Does anyone know when Hunter is supposed to release decisions? Having trouble getting in touch with their office...

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on how the Hunter msw program is regarded? I have gotten so many mixed opinions on Hunter. 

I have only heard really awesome things about their program. I know someone that went there and now owns their own private practice and loved it. Also, I know someone attending CU who recommended Hunter. It’s really well regarded- especially in the NY area. 

15 hours ago, CluMSW said:

Just finished my interview with CU.. I think it went ok but I don't know what to think at this point!

General question!! Did everyone whose been accepted so far do an interview? Or are those on an as-needed basis? 

15 hours ago, IPmsw2020 said:

I'm honestly so irritated with CU...I applied Nov 1st, I hear nothing except for social impact live emails until March 2nd when I finally call them. Then I coincidentally get an updated portal yesterday, the day I finally called? Like if you knew I was waitlisted why couldn't you have told me, I find it hard to believe they just made the decision yesterday. It is so annoying it took four months just for them to give a "maybe". Ugh. Kept me waiting SO long just to wait some more. And I don't wanna sound paranoid, but CU was the only application I disclosed that I have Borderline Personality Disorder because I assumed they would be chill about the disorder (it is SO stigmatized) because of the DBT program, which I would've wanted to do, which I talked about in my essay. Now I'm thinking I shot myself in the foot by disclosing that. I'm regretting that essay so much rn. Just needed to vent.

Also, CONGRATS to everyone that got in!!!! You got into a freaking IVY!!!!

I’m so sorry. I know it must be mad frustrating to wait that long. I’ve only been waiting a month or less & I’m going stir-crazy. As far as what you mentioned in your essay- that is your truth!! Stand in it. You want a program who knows your strengths & can play on them to develop you as a social worker. If not them, I’m sure you’ll get accepted to another amazing school and be grateful it happened that way. ? sending you love! 

1 hour ago, Allanaj said:

General question!! Did everyone whose been accepted so far do an interview? Or are those on an as-needed basis? 

I think for CU only international applicants do interviews!

Edited by CluMSW