MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

On 3/18/2020 at 11:31 AM, Allanaj said:

All I can say is.. I’m not paying this insane tuition for some of these universities without getting the full experience! For an online degree I might as well stay in state and get it at my local university lol. That’s atleast my opinion on it. No way I can pay 24k a semester to sit on a computer! 

I completely agree !!! If everything is going the way it is until August/ September, (which I think is completely unlikely) I would rather just be deferred for a year than do online. I'm currently having to work remotely from home, as I'm sure most are, and I don't like it as much as I thought I would. So let's all hope that this virus slows down by then not only for everyone to get the experience we all worked for but for the health and safety of us all ! I'm very optimistic that things should return to "normal"  by at least the end of April but let's all wait and see. Congrats to everyone and their acceptances! Stay safe !

I just called Columbia to check on my application and their admissions line went straight to voicemail ? it’s 2PM on a Thursday. This wait is killing me! Especially now that I won’t be able to see any of the schools in person. 

57 minutes ago, Allanaj said:

I just called Columbia to check on my application and their admissions line went straight to voicemail ? it’s 2PM on a Thursday. This wait is killing me! Especially now that I won’t be able to see any of the schools in person. 

Columbia told me to expect a decision last Friday or early this week... But nothing really came out and it's already Thursday. I hesitated to call or email since it's both Spring Break + city lockdown for both NYU and Columbia. But I agree this wait is just much pain. 

On 3/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, asap_julez said:

Congratulations!!!! That is an amazing aid offer, and you should totally revel in that pride! I really hope you'll be able to pursue your MSW soon. Can you perhaps defer for a year? (I'm not sure about UChicago's policies on that). 

Also, may I ask if you received an email notification to check the app. portal, or did you just check yourself? I'm still waiting on a decision from them and am so antsy. 

Have you heard anything yet? You should get an email saying your status changed.

On 3/12/2020 at 11:29 PM, NTN244 said:

I've gotten acceptances from both programs I'd applied to, Stony Brook and Hunter. The long waiting game is over for me, but now I only have about a week and a half to make a decision on where to attend in the Fall. Hopefully you all will be hearing back soon if you haven't heard back already.

Did you receive scholarships from either?

On 3/17/2020 at 2:35 PM, bragierrnot said:

Heads up to anyone that also applied UMB-SSW. I just got an email saying they're allowing their admissions committee to adjust to working at home and will start reviewing apps in order of when they were submitted starting next week. 

Thank you for the heads-up! I was wondering why I haven't heard back from them and I submitted my app back in Jan, so I was getting super anxious!

On 3/18/2020 at 3:56 PM, StressedOutSandy said:

Omg this! I got accepted to George Mason (still waiting on others), but I’m not accepting an out of state if they make it online. Waiting on admission decisions is stressful and now the uncertainty of programs is even more stressful. 

I also got into GMU! Did they address financial aid in your letter (e.g. graduate loans, work study, etc.)? All they stated is that they haven't determined who will get the GA/TA positions in my letter. I was debating whether I should call Monday and ask about that or just wait to see if a separate email will be sent out regarding our financial aid packages.

On 2/27/2020 at 5:00 PM, Shuklaklakla said:

Did you apply for advance standing? I had to wait too because of the field evaluation. I noticed with USC Suzanne-Dworak and Denver University that I got my decisions really fast (like 1-2 weeks) and I wondered if that was because it was advanced standing. Or it could of been that the programs start a little earlier. I hope thats the case with Columbia too but this program does start a little early but still before Fall 

Yes I applied advanced standing! 

3 hours ago, chiligirl said:

I also got into GMU! Did they address financial aid in your letter (e.g. graduate loans, work study, etc.)? All they stated is that they haven't determined who will get the GA/TA positions in my letter. I was debating whether I should call Monday and ask about that or just wait to see if a separate email will be sent out regarding our financial aid packages.

No they didn’t! I got admitted Feb. 25th and I still have yet to hear about financial aid. I emailed admissions soon after to determine when their deadline to confirm admission was and they said like two weeks before classes start. For financial aid they said I would have to contact the SW Department. I’ve emailed the department (the contact was the same contact that was on my letter) multiple times and still no response. Honestly, it’s annoying because I am really leaning towards GMU, but their lack of response (even before the whole public health issue) is really off putting. But if I hear anything I will make sure to update you! ? 

9 hours ago, MSWSW2020 said:

Columbia told me to expect a decision last Friday or early this week... But nothing really came out and it's already Thursday. I hesitated to call or email since it's both Spring Break + city lockdown for both NYU and Columbia. But I agree this wait is just much pain. 

When did you apply? I didn’t even realize it was spring break for them. 

4 hours ago, hmd2020 said:

I got into NYU today with a 10k scholarship and Fordham with 3k. I want to ask for more, as both schools are still a bit too much out of my price range. Has anyone received merit scholarships higher than this from either schools, or gone through the process of asking for more?

I got into NYU on a 17k scholarship. The max they technically give out is 15k and that’s strictly based on application. He said they make a couple exceptions and will give out 17k and 20k ones rarely. It’s such an expensive school so I completely understand your dilemma! 

2 hours ago, Allanaj said:

I got into NYU on a 17k scholarship. The max they technically give out is 15k and that’s strictly based on application. He said they make a couple exceptions and will give out 17k and 20k ones rarely. It’s such an expensive school so I completely understand your dilemma! 

Hey there! did you get these amounts originally or after you appealed for more aid? 

15 hours ago, StressedOutSandy said:

No they didn’t! I got admitted Feb. 25th and I still have yet to hear about financial aid. I emailed admissions soon after to determine when their deadline to confirm admission was and they said like two weeks before classes start. For financial aid they said I would have to contact the SW Department. I’ve emailed the department (the contact was the same contact that was on my letter) multiple times and still no response. Honestly, it’s annoying because I am really leaning towards GMU, but their lack of response (even before the whole public health issue) is really off putting. But if I hear anything I will make sure to update you! ? 

That is really weird, I would think that they would have told you by now what aid you qualify for. That was also my problem when I was trying to figure out when a decision would be made, I applied back in November and just now heard back! GMU seems like a great program but I can't justify out of state tuition unless I get a good offer for aid lolol. But thanks! Hopefully, we'll hear back soon!

19 hours ago, hmd2020 said:

I got into NYU today with a 10k scholarship and Fordham with 3k. I want to ask for more, as both schools are still a bit too much out of my price range. Has anyone received merit scholarships higher than this from either schools, or gone through the process of asking for more?

I originally got a 12k scholarship from NYU. I emailed them and submitted a request for more funding. It took about a month for a response to the request but I ended up getting a couple thousand more a year! I think I'm going to submit my deposit for NYU today! 

22 hours ago, Behaviorscience said:

Have you heard anything yet? You should get an email saying your status changed.

I received an email on Monday saying "the review process is taking longer than expected" and that I can expect a decision "soon." :( 

So vague, lol.

I was hoping something would come through today, so I keep refreshing my portal. They're the last school I have yet to hear from so my patience is nonexistent!!!

1 hour ago, socwork2020 said:

I originally got a 12k scholarship from NYU. I emailed them and submitted a request for more funding. It took about a month for a response to the request but I ended up getting a couple thousand more a year! I think I'm going to submit my deposit for NYU today! 

Thats super helpful thanks! Do you know when the decision deadline is?

16 hours ago, Madsby said:

Hey there! did you get these amounts originally or after you appealed for more aid? 

Originally! I called to appeal because I didn’t know what their max was and he was basically like “you got the max we give out” and refused to give me instructions for appealing. I got my financial aid breakdown today (around 3 weeks later) and it was just tons of loans & a 3k work study! 

24 minutes ago, mswusername2020 said:

Congratulations! When did you apply? I submitted my application on 2/15 and am anxiously waiting a response ?

Thanks!! I applied on 01/15. They told me that their review process is taking longer than expected. I think they are still releasing decisions for people who applied in January! Don’t stress it too much. Best of luck to you!

Edited by msw2020waiting