MSW Applications Fall 2020

IvySWCu

Hi! Have been following this thread for a little while. I have been accepted to a Michigan, USC, and today BU with $61k scholarship! Does anyone have any thoughts on BU? I don’t know much about the program as I’m from California, but now am definitely considering attending!! Any positive or negative things about BU and Boston in general would be helpful:) 

47 minutes ago, Msw 2020!!! said:

Hi! Have been following this thread for a little while. I have been accepted to a Michigan, USC, and today BU with $61k scholarship! Does anyone have any thoughts on BU? I don’t know much about the program as I’m from California, but now am definitely considering attending!! Any positive or negative things about BU and Boston in general would be helpful:) 

woah that’s a big scholarship! congrats!! i grew up in boston and I love it. housing is very expensive and it can get crowded but that’s about all the negatives I have. It’s a great place for internships and is pretty diverse.  BU is also a great school and well known in MA. Feel free to ask me anything! I live 10 mins away from BU atm

1 hour ago, Polcc said:

woah that’s a big scholarship! congrats!! i grew up in boston and I love it. housing is very expensive and it can get crowded but that’s about all the negatives I have. It’s a great place for internships and is pretty diverse.  BU is also a great school and well known in MA. Feel free to ask me anything! I live 10 mins away from BU atm

thank you!!! i have been trying to figure out how much housing costs but am struggling a little... do you think its possible to find a room or studio under $1000? also, do you know how many people attend bu msw? thanks so much for your help :)

1 minute ago, Msw 2020!!! said:

thank you!!! i have been trying to figure out how much housing costs but am struggling a little... do you think its possible to find a room or studio under $1000? also, do you know how many people attend bu msw? thanks so much for your help :)

you can def find a room to rent around 800-1000 if you look in allston, brighton area. i would check craigslist or trulia. I don’t know an exact number but I know advanced standing is around 25 ppl so I wanna say maybe the whole program is 100?

Does anyone have any thoughts on Boston College vs Columbia University? I have been accepted to both with scholarship. I’m very conflicted because I didn’t expect to get into both programs and I can see myself happily attending either. Any insight would be very appreciated :) 

Edited by NicoleDes

I just got my acceptance to UC Berkeley!! I honestly thought this was a school I would definitely be rejected from, so it came as a huge surprise. I was wondering if folx have an option UC Berkeley versus Columbia? I am waiting for aid from Berkeley, but got $18k per year at Columbia + Work Study. But now I am conflicted between the programs. 

Edited by avizenoi96

7 hours ago, NicoleDes said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Boston College vs Columbia University? I have been accepted to both with scholarship. I’m very conflicted because I didn’t expect to get into both programs and I can see myself happily attending either. Any insight would be very appreciated :) 

are you doing clinical or macro and what are you planning on focusing on for specialization? what interests you?

I would do a side by side pros and cons list with tuition/aid/extra loans you might need to take out and then COL in both areas with the differences in each program! plus i’m sure there’s people on here who can give you thoughts on Columbia who will be attending there! I don’t know enough about their program to give any input 

12 hours ago, Msw 2020!!! said:

WOW... congrats!

1 hour ago, Polcc said:

are you doing clinical or macro and what are you planning on focusing on for specialization? what interests you?

I would do a side by side pros and cons list with tuition/aid/extra loans you might need to take out and then COL in both areas with the differences in each program! plus i’m sure there’s people on here who can give you thoughts on Columbia who will be attending there! I don’t know enough about their program to give any input 

I’m doing clinical! I’m planning on focusing on child welfare. I’m also really interested in trauma/ early adversity! I’ve been doing pros/ cons lists and I’m still really conflicted. If you could give your thoughts on BC that’d be awesome!

1 hour ago, NicoleDes said:

I’m doing clinical! I’m planning on focusing on child welfare. I’m also really interested in trauma/ early adversity! I’ve been doing pros/ cons lists and I’m still really conflicted. If you could give your thoughts on BC that’d be awesome!

Sure! Are you doing 2-year or advanced? I really like BC for the atmosphere, courses, and internship opportunities. I've also only heard good things from the BC MSW program and know 5+ who have done it either advanced or 2 year. I know other practitioners that have graduated from there and where they've gotten jobs. I also like the certificate options, I've been told with an MSW it doesn't matter much for a certificate but depending on where you want to end up I feel like it will help a lot, plus I just want to be more informed and learn about things that interest me! I'm not sure about BC's research in the program seeing as I don't think research course is required, which is fine for me but might be a deterrent for others. I'm sure you can take it as an elective or something. I also have a bias towards Boston ?‍♀️

23 hours ago, perfectamity said:

Anyone else waiting to get a final scholarship decision from Washington University in St Louis?

Do you mean the FAFSA or merit scholarship? They have not sent out the FAFSA packages yet, they told me that would begin in early March. The merit scholarship would have been awarded in your letter. If you are trying to appeal for more funding, they finally got back to me yesterday and said they only do that for a few specific reasons and they do not do scholarship negotiation. In the cases where they will increase merit scholarships, they say it is only be 2-5k. Hope this helps! Were you awarded a scholarship in your acceptance letter?

13 hours ago, qnmsw1998 said:

For those who already got acceptances from Columbia, if you don't mind sharing, what are the dates for their admitted students day? 

They have an accepted students reception on March 2nd, and admitted students day in NYC, SF, and LA, on 4/4, 4/15, and 4/17, respectively :)

10 hours ago, NicoleDes said:

I don't know a ton about BC's Social Work, but I grew up in the area (my grandparents practically live on the campus!) and moved to NYC in 2015, so I can speak a bit to living in both places, although I'm a bit biased towards NYC. Boston is really quaint and has a strong education culture, due to having a high concentration of universities. There are also a ton of young students and working professionals, so despite being a historical city, it feels young. However, it really lacks diversity and culture, especially compared to New York, and Newton (the suburb) feels this even more so. I also was surprised that there isn't a huge difference in the cost of living between NYC and Boston. Congrats on having two really excellent options! 

16 minutes ago, ABCMSW said:

Do you mean the FAFSA or merit scholarship? They have not sent out the FAFSA packages yet, they told me that would begin in early March. The merit scholarship would have been awarded in your letter. If you are trying to appeal for more funding, they finally got back to me yesterday and said they only do that for a few specific reasons and they do not do scholarship negotiation. In the cases where they will increase merit scholarships, they say it is only be 2-5k. Hope this helps! Were you awarded a scholarship in your acceptance letter?

Yes, I have the merit scholarship. As you said, that was included in my acceptance letter. Waiting on any need based awards and scholarships that may come my way. Weird, I was told that I would hear no later than March 1st. When did you apply or get accepted? Maybe it's dependent on that date or the time frame has shifted further back.

11 hours ago, avizenoi96 said:

I just got my acceptance to UC Berkeley!! I honestly thought this was a school I would definitely be rejected from, so it came as a huge surprise. I was wondering if folx have an option UC Berkeley versus Columbia? I am waiting for aid from Berkeley, but got $18k per year at Columbia + Work Study. But now I am conflicted between the programs. 

Wow, congrats on Berkeley!!! Did they send an email or do a phone call?

1 hour ago, Polcc said:

Sure! Are you doing 2-year or advanced? I really like BC for the atmosphere, courses, and internship opportunities. I've also only heard good things from the BC MSW program and know 5+ who have done it either advanced or 2 year. I know other practitioners that have graduated from there and where they've gotten jobs. I also like the certificate options, I've been told with an MSW it doesn't matter much for a certificate but depending on where you want to end up I feel like it will help a lot, plus I just want to be more informed and learn about things that interest me! I'm not sure about BC's research in the program seeing as I don't think research course is required, which is fine for me but might be a deterrent for others. I'm sure you can take it as an elective or something. I also have a bias towards Boston ?‍♀️

I'm doing the two year program! I have visited Boston before and I really love the area. The certificate options are also very appealing to me. However, I've heard from many that degrees from Boston are very well respected but more so if you would like to remain in the Massachusetts area. Would you mind sharing the job locations of which the people you know received offers? That might be helpful for me. My main issue is that I am from NY and I also love Boston... so with no preference in location it makes it even harder to decide. I really appreciate your input SO much, so thank you!! :)  

1 hour ago, simonsays said:

They have an accepted students reception on March 2nd, and admitted students day in NYC, SF, and LA, on 4/4, 4/15, and 4/17, respectively :)

I don't know a ton about BC's Social Work, but I grew up in the area (my grandparents practically live on the campus!) and moved to NYC in 2015, so I can speak a bit to living in both places, although I'm a bit biased towards NYC. Boston is really quaint and has a strong education culture, due to having a high concentration of universities. There are also a ton of young students and working professionals, so despite being a historical city, it feels young. However, it really lacks diversity and culture, especially compared to New York, and Newton (the suburb) feels this even more so. I also was surprised that there isn't a huge difference in the cost of living between NYC and Boston. Congrats on having two really excellent options! 

Thank you so much. Since the two schools are essentially equal for me, I feel that I can't go wrong with either. However, the atmosphere and diversity of the location is very important to me. I have not heard from anyone yet that has been able to directly compare Boston and NYC, so I really value your opinion. If you have any other strong opinions on either location I would love to hear more. Thank you so much for your insight--- and congratulations to you as well! :) 

11 hours ago, avizenoi96 said:

I grew up in the bay area, so I can speak to Berkeley a little--the environment is going to feel so different than NYC. Berkeley isn't right on top of Oakland or SF, it feels more like an average norcal town than part of the larger city system. I'd guess that cost of living is pretty similar between the two, but Berkeley is a bit more driving heavy (lots of mopeds on campus as well). I think besides of course considerations of which program is the best fit, you should definitely consider what part of the country you want to be in long term! Both areas have a ton of need in terms of social work careers, but cross country moves are a huge ordeal and if you're on either coast, I'd suggest picking the one you could see yourself staying in at least for a few years post MSW. I also visited Berkeley's building for a fellowship interview--it's set in a bucolic little forested corner of campus, and if that is your vibe, it was very pleasant. 

If you have or are willing to get a vehicle, Berkeley also encourages you to live anywhere in the area and commute for class, and they'll try to place you with a field placement closer to your housing. For example, I grew up in Napa and they said I could live there if I still had family in the area (10/10 would not suggest commuting from Napa) but looking at American Canyon or Vallejo makes the cost of living look way more manageable. Plus, tuition is way lower since it's public!

I'm definitely biased towards the bay area, but if you've never visited I would highly suggest it! Both are phenomenal schools, I'd just hazard a guess that they feel very, very different from each other. 

Anyone else here SO indecisive???? I really did not expect to have the options that I do and I am so torn. It's been all I can think about... I'm on the younger side of applicants (or so I assume), I'm graduating in 3 years with my BA this May and coming straight from undergrad... I want to make the best possible decision but deciding on something this big at my age seems so crazy to me lol... if anyone else is also stressing feel free to message me to talk 

14 hours ago, avizenoi96 said:

Edited by Mindfu1ness

43 minutes ago, NicoleDes said:

Thank you so much. Since the two schools are essentially equal for me, I feel that I can't go wrong with either. However, the atmosphere and diversity of the location is very important to me. I have not heard from anyone yet that has been able to directly compare Boston and NYC, so I really value your opinion. If you have any other strong opinions on either location I would love to hear more. Thank you so much for your insight--- and congratulations to you as well! :) 

No problem at all! Of course I'm a little biased because I left Boston for you New York, but if you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me :)

1 hour ago, perfectamity said:

Yes, I have the merit scholarship. As you said, that was included in my acceptance letter. Waiting on any need based awards and scholarships that may come my way. Weird, I was told that I would hear no later than March 1st. When did you apply or get accepted? Maybe it's dependent on that date or the time frame has shifted further back.

I applied Dec. 15th and was admitted on Jan. 22nd. Hoping they send out the need based awards soon. How much did they give you in merit scholarship, if you don't mind me asking?