In state vs out of state grad schools

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of applying to grad schools and I'm unsure if I should stay in state or go out of state. I live in Rhode Island and there's only one graduate program in my state (URI), which is where I am for undergrad. I would stay and continue through the master's program, but I really want to work and live in Massachusetts or Connecticut after I graduate. Financially, it definitely makes more sense for me to stay at URI but I don't know that much about licensure and how it works in different states. If anyone can give any info or advice I'd really appreciate it!!

3 hours ago, speechpathologystudent099 said:

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of applying to grad schools and I'm unsure if I should stay in state or go out of state. I live in Rhode Island and there's only one graduate program in my state (URI), which is where I am for undergrad. I would stay and continue through the master's program, but I really want to work and live in Massachusetts or Connecticut after I graduate. Financially, it definitely makes more sense for me to stay at URI but I don't know that much about licensure and how it works in different states. If anyone can give any info or advice I'd really appreciate it!!

I don’t know what your stats are but my professors “golden rule” is to apply to at least 3 schools. So I would at least apply to URI and then one in Massachusetts and one in Connecticut. 

Here is information about licensure from ASHA about licensing in the states you're interested in:

Rhode Island: https://www.asha.org/advocacy/state/info/RI/licensure/

Connecticut: https://www.asha.org/advocacy/state/info/CT/licensure/

Massachusetts: https://www.asha.org/advocacy/state/info/MA/licensure/

Also if you express to whatever grad school you go to about practicing in another state they should be able to help you or contact ASHA if you have questions. As long as the program is credited by ASHA and you are able to get your license and degree that's all that matters! You can always apply for instate residency if you do move out of state to save on costs!

On 11/28/2019 at 12:12 PM, Gracie_whatevs said:

I'm in CA but University of Rhode Island is on my list of schools to apply to! By chance could you tell me anything about it?? I've never been to that area

Rhode Island is beautiful and it's a great school! I've heard the program is challenging but I think that's true everywhere. The school is in a great location with the beach only 15 minutes away, Newport is also around a 30 minute drive, and Boston is less than two hours away. I haven't been to California and I'm dying to go but I would say the biggest difference might be the weather because we do get a decent amount of snow and it's pretty cold all winter! I've lived here most of my life though and I wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else!