Hi All,

I got invited for interviews at WUSTL and NYU for next week and I had an interview with BU last week! Still awaiting responses from Michigan and U of Chicago SSA.... Anyone else apply/hear from these schools? 

Hey everyone! I just found this thread and figured I’d introduce myself— I also started a PhD social work thread a few months back, if any of you are interested in checking it out! 

This is my first time applying to doctoral programs and I applied to three schools: Michigan State University (MSU), the University of Denver (DU), and the University of Michigan (UM) joint program in Social Work and Sociology. As of right now, I have been accepted at MSU and received an interview invitation at DU. My interview is next week (2/7) and I’m very nervous/excited! I haven’t heard from UM yet— I believe those decisions are usually released in mid-February. 

I have an MSW from UM and almost 2 years of post-MSW experience. I currently work in research at Johns Hopkins and have spent much of my career doing political activism around LGBTQ+ rights. In a PhD program, I want to specifically focus my research on transgender and nonbinary health equity with a special emphasis on rural communities. I’m interested in working with trans people of all ages as well as those with multiple intersecting marginalized identities. 

Additional stats: I have one publication that actually just got accepted 2 weeks ago (not first author), my GRE scores are 150 verbal, 140 quant, and 5 in writing, and my grad GPA was a 3.8. My stats are not the strongest, but I’ve really focused on my personal statement, research experience, and tried to find a strong faculty fit at each school I’ve applied to.

I’m excited to have found this thread and hope we all receive some good news in the near future! 

8 hours ago, BrendonSW said:

Hey everyone! I just found this thread and figured I’d introduce myself— I also started a PhD social work thread a few months back, if any of you are interested in checking it out! 

This is my first time applying to doctoral programs and I applied to three schools: Michigan State University (MSU), the University of Denver (DU), and the University of Michigan (UM) joint program in Social Work and Sociology. As of right now, I have been accepted at MSU and received an interview invitation at DU. My interview is next week (2/7) and I’m very nervous/excited! I haven’t heard from UM yet— I believe those decisions are usually released in mid-February. 

I have an MSW from UM and almost 2 years of post-MSW experience. I currently work in research at Johns Hopkins and have spent much of my career doing political activism around LGBTQ+ rights. In a PhD program, I want to specifically focus my research on transgender and nonbinary health equity with a special emphasis on rural communities. I’m interested in working with trans people of all ages as well as those with multiple intersecting marginalized identities. 

Additional stats: I have one publication that actually just got accepted 2 weeks ago (not first author), my GRE scores are 150 verbal, 140 quant, and 5 in writing, and my grad GPA was a 3.8. My stats are not the strongest, but I’ve really focused on my personal statement, research experience, and tried to find a strong faculty fit at each school I’ve applied to.

I’m excited to have found this thread and hope we all receive some good news in the near future! 

Is your signature from the past? It says that you were accepted and going to UM.

For those of you that have been accepted, did that school do an admitted students day? Wisconsin is paying for me to go out there for theirs. I was just curious if this was typical.

24 minutes ago, LisaOh said:

Is your signature from the past? It says that you were accepted and going to UM.

I went to UM for my MSW. Since I’m on mobile, I can’t see my signature so I had no idea it was even there. ?

24 minutes ago, LisaOh said:

For those of you that have been accepted, did that school do an admitted students day? Wisconsin is paying for me to go out there for theirs. I was just curious if this was typical.

MSU didn’t/hasn’t mentioned this. That’s pretty awesome of Wisconsin to pay you to go! 

Hi all! I just found the Social Work forum! I'm still waiting to hear from UNC-CH, UPenn, and a fellowship at WUSTL. I am now obsessively checking the results page because anxiety. Good luck to everyone! 

I've been accepted to WUSTL and UT-A and have an interview with UMich ANTH on Monday. 

My stats: MSW/MPH 2020, 8 pubs, lots of varied research experience, 3.5/3.9/3.8 GPA for UG/MSW/MPH, GRE 310. I was (am?) a birth doula for 10 years and have a couple of years social services experience. 

Working to reduce birth trauma/health disparities through doula use.

3 hours ago, LisaOh said:

WUSTL pays for accepted/interviewees to attend interview day. I think this is pretty standard at the bigger schools. 

12 hours ago, BrendonSW said:

Oh, hey, fancy seeing you here :)

On 2/1/2020 at 12:13 PM, BrendonSW said:

Will be applying to DU and U & M PhD Social Work/Psychology program later this year. 

Good luck with your interviews! 

I had my Zoom interview with the University of Denver this morning! The interview was 20 mins and more laid back than I anticipated. The committee was very kind, warm, and easy going. For anyone interviewing with them, they told me they admit on a rolling basis, meaning you could hear back a few days after your interview, a few weeks, or a couple of months. The Co-Associate Director of Doctoral Education said I/you can email him at anytime to get an update on the status of your application— he said they would be transparent about your status (accepted, rejected, undecided). 

Now, I wait to hear back from them and U-Michigan!  

I just heard from Boston College - a rejection for the PhD program. They had a record number of applicants for PhD admissions. It is unlikely that I would have went there, so no sweat off my back.

I was accepted to WashU and SLU. I am in St. Louis and have chosen SLU over WashU because I want to work with a specific faculty member. 

I believe offers were made early to those who applied to both WashU and SLU programs. The two programs share overlap, share classes, and opportunities. 

SLU has a smaller cohort than WashU.

I only applied to the two programs and five fellowships.