I am applying! Have you already received acceptances and rejections? Where did you apply?

Me: I have a MPP ('15) and have worked in social or health policy since 2013. I have healthcare experience prior to that. I did research as an undergraduate at Cornell for 3 years cumulating in an honors thesis. I also did a research/capstone project for my masters degree. I have volunteered as a rape crisis advocate, patient care advocate, NAMI course instructor, and right now, an assistant case manager at a housing non-profit.

Hello! I am applying this year for social welfare PhD programs. I am finishing my MSW this year and am applying to Case Western and University at Buffalo. Both applications are done and now I am waiting for probably a long time. I have some strong points to my applications but also some weaknesses- super low GRE math score (146), not much experience in the social work field, and a sorta mediocre undergrad gpa (3.4). Strengths are 4.0 masters gpa, 2 (coauthored) publications, 5.5 writing and 160 verbal GRE, and well-polished recs, written sample, and SOP. I am curious to see how this turns out, not really sure what to expect. I reached out to admissions and the program director at UB earlier in the semester but didn't do that for case western. 

Hi! 

I am looking to apply for PhD program at the York university in Canada. I have two Masters in International Development, the recent one from UK and have over 5 years of experience in my field. 

I could find only one professor whose interest is closer to my own at York and she also seems positive about my topic. However, the professor happens to be in the department of Social Work, on which I have little idea and I am unsure if a PhD in Social Work would be the right choice for me at this point. I would prefer academia after graduation but as we all know competition is very tough so I am also open to industry opportunities especially research.  

I would appreciate advice from someone with Social Work experience especially those who have transitioned into PhD Social Work from another interdisciplinary field. How hard is it to cover theory and concepts? Is it better, say career-wise, than ID, Political Science or Sociology? What are your thoughts on the career prospects ahead for someone who comes from a different field?   

Your thoughts on York university is welcome as well. Many thanks.