OISE Master of Teaching 2020

esquid

Hi Guys,

Hope you’re all doing well.

I’ve been trying to sign up for this site and was always having issues with my email, but I’m finally here!

So I graduated this year from UTM with a double major in Bio for Health Sciences and French Studies. I had applied for the P/J and J/I with FSL on November 12, 2019 and had gotten waitlisted for them both on July 10th. 
I’ve been constantly following up with them since February and am trying to remain optimistic but am failing to... it would mean a lot if I’d get in as I rejected the Queens offer this May due to COVID concerns. They were starting the program in May and practicums were already cancelled and there was just no clarity at that time.

OISE would be my dream school, and I’d love to get in but I’m losing hope at this time.

20 minutes ago, FK123 said:

Hi Guys,

Hope you’re all doing well.

I’ve been trying to sign up for this site and was always having issues with my email, but I’m finally here!

So I graduated this year from UTM with a double major in Bio for Health Sciences and French Studies. I had applied for the P/J and J/I with FSL on November 12, 2019 and had gotten waitlisted for them both on July 10th. 
I’ve been constantly following up with them since February and am trying to remain optimistic but am failing to... it would mean a lot if I’d get in as I rejected the Queens offer this May due to COVID concerns. They were starting the program in May and practicums were already cancelled and there was just no clarity at that time.

OISE would be my dream school, and I’d love to get in but I’m losing hope at this time.

I feel you, its been really hard waiting! I've been waitlisted for P/J since April 14th (I applied February 5th). We have exactly 2 weeks today to hear back if we'll make it in off the waitlist. Fingers crossed for all us waitlisters and hopefully we get some good news soon

Do you guys know what would happen if i pay for first semester for another university cause the fee is due but then I end up getting off the waitlist for oise? Would I be able to get the money back by canceling my registration? 

Edited by tennnnnn

5 hours ago, Shamash said:

I wish I could answer your question, tennnnnn. Maybe call/email them and ask them what their refund policy is?

Has anyone heard anything yet?

nothing yet :( are you in the facebook group? if so, has anyone mentioned anything about the waitlist?

On 11/25/2019 at 6:59 PM, esquid said:

I know it's super early but I figured we could use a thread like those from previous years to discuss applications, admissions (eventually), and anything else while we're waiting to hear results!

I'm applying to the Intermediate/Senior stream with teachables in Social Sciences and Geography. I'm in my fourth year studying psychology at McGill, my GPA's not great (3.29 last year, 3.22 overall), which is the main thing I'm concerned about with regards to my application.

I have 1800+ hours of teaching and related experience, including working full time over the past three summers running a math and science tutoring/exam prep program for grade 10 and 11 students in two Cree communities in Northern Quebec, and teaching summer school courses in the same communities during the past two summers. I've also done both volunteer and paid one-on-one tutoring, worked at a summer math camp, and facilitated workshops in high schools on a variety of topics (consent/sexual assault, mental health, etc.). 

The MT is the only program I've applied to, so I'm pretty nervous!

Can I ask your GPA in percentage? In different universities a 3.29 GPA can mean different things. Congrats on getting in. 

On 1/9/2020 at 5:48 PM, Datawraith said:

Hi, I applied last year but didn't get in, so I'm trying again this year with some lessons learned.

I'm applying for I/S Math and Physics after studying mechanical engineering at uWaterloo. My GPA also wasn't great (82% average in my final year whatever that translates to in GPA), but I'm hoping my teaching experience makes up for it seeing that UofT doesn't take the program into account when looking at GPAs for whatever reason. I've got over 3000 hours of teaching and related experience including high school classroom teaching through co-op placements as well as mentoring several robotics teams including my former high school's FRC team.

Your application looks really strong too, so hopefully we'll both get it; MT seems to be a really good program (although the political landscape isn't great for teachers right now).

Did you have all of the experience when you applied. You said you learned your mistakes, but I did not get what the mistakes were.

On 2/10/2020 at 4:35 PM, mambaforever said:

thanks! my GPA wasn't the greatest - 3rd year avg was 3.2 and the condition requires a mid B in my final year as well. my experience profile consists of 5 years of teaching dance/music, some tutoring experience, and volunteering in P/J classrooms for a total of over 1300 hours of experience working with children. I'm pursuing a BA in communication studies and got accepted to the P/J stream. I received an interview for MACSE as well so I think I probably had a strong statement of intent along with my experience profile because my GPA was not very competitive.

Can I asked your GPA in percentage? Different university have different percentage to GPA equivelants. 

Hi everyone -

I've checked this page every day since June, and appreciated the support. For those of us who didn't get in, I wish us the best of luck in reapplying, applying elsewhere, or pursuing a different path. Despite this not being what I planned for, for those of you who want to be teachers, this is another year we can improve ourselves and acquire new knowledge to share with the students we'll be teaching one day. ?

Cheers!

18 minutes ago, FK123 said:

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share that I received acceptance to the P/J program today morning! 

I know it is a week late but am super excited to start this program!! 

I hope you are all doing well, and that you receive some good news soon :)

FK I actually just saw your post on the Facebook group! That's amazing, congratulations!!! I hope it goes well this semester for you.