Fall 2020 Cognitive Psychology Interview Invites

brainsRus

Those applications are in and now we wait! Here's a thread for us to gather together in anxiety, stress, and encouragement.

Here's a little template we can use:

School:

Type: PhD/MA/MS/etc

Date of invite:

Type of invite: Mass email, email from PI, phone call, etc.

Interview date(s):

Edited by neuromorgan
Forgot to input Master's degrees

• 2 weeks later...

AAH! So excited to be able to fill this out!!

School: Notre Dame

Type: PhD

Date of invite: December 17, 2019

Type of invite: Email from PI (Initials JK)

Interview date(s): THIS Thursday or Friday (omg so quick) via Zoom with another faculty member

Don't want to spam BUT I SOMEHOW GOT TWO INVITES IN A DAY.

School: Wayne State University

Date of invite: December 18, 2019

Type of invite: Email from PI (Initials NO)

Interview date(s): February 28, 2020 with social days before and after. 

3 hours ago, Amelia_450 said:

Has anyone heard from USC Brain and Cognitive Science about interviews yet? 

I applied USC brain and cognitive science as well. Haven’t heard anything yet this cycle nor did I reach out to the PI-lab beforehand because I noticed they listed they were accepting students on the lab website.

If it is helpful I applied there two cycles ago as well and was contacted regarding a phone interview mid-late December which got scheduled for early January. Ultimately, wasn’t invited to their onsite interview, which seems to very small.

LSS: I wouldn’t be too stressed if you haven’t hear back from them just yet.

Good Luck and cheers to hearing from them soon. 

On 12/19/2019 at 1:45 PM, Amelia_450 said:
4 hours ago, acryliciris said:

School: Cornell University

Date of invite: December 19, 2019

Type of invite: school visit

Interview date(s): Feb 7-8

Congrats! I didn’t apply to  these specific programs but out of curiosity did you have informal Skype or phone interviews first?

On 12/19/2019 at 8:56 AM, fake187 said:

@neuromorgan did Notre Dame give any indication about whether there will be formal interviews? And did you skype with this PI before submission?

I did Skype with the PI before I submitted my application! My interview was today and all the formal interviews are over Zoom. They invite people to their campus AFTER they have put out offers so its not as stressful for students and more of a recruitment event.

36 minutes ago, terrycherry said:

Did anyone apply to any Canadian schools? I heard that there's less competition there, and I haven't seen many people mention it. Maybe they're just not handing out interviews yet?

I applied to four Canadian programs. No news yet for any interviews or indication on timelines from PIs.

Sorry for the late post

School: U of T, Dallas 

Date of invite: 12/13

Type of invite: email from head of grad students of psych department

Interview date(s):1/30-2/1 

still waiting for the others. This was a quick response though. I’m still hoping for penn state. 

Hey, again! Sorry to keep asking, but has anyone heard from UCLA for their cognitive area within Psychology? I heard that preliminary Skype interview invitations have been sent out for Behavioral Neuroscience, so I was thinking Cognitive may have already been sent out, as well. The formal interviews are on the same day for the two divisions, but just checking in to see if anyone else has applied and also hasn't heard back. 

On 12/19/2019 at 5:45 PM, hg92 said:

I applied USC brain and cognitive science as well. Haven’t heard anything yet this cycle nor did I reach out to the PI-lab beforehand because I noticed they listed they were accepting students on the lab website.

If it is helpful I applied there two cycles ago as well and was contacted regarding a phone interview mid-late December which got scheduled for early January. Ultimately, wasn’t invited to their onsite interview, which seems to very small.

LSS: I wouldn’t be too stressed if you haven’t hear back from them just yet.

Good Luck and cheers to hearing from them soon. 

Ah, thank you!! Makes me feel better knowing there's another person who hasn't heard back. I haven't found anything else online to indicate that others have heard back from PI or the program. The only thing that's a little worrisome is their interview day is January 24th, so I was hoping to hear back by now. Hang in there, we got this! Happy holidays! 

1 hour ago, terrycherry said:

Did anyone apply to any Canadian schools? I heard that there's less competition there, and I haven't seen many people mention it. Maybe they're just not handing out interviews yet?

I applied to one Canadian school and was told by the PI that they won't really start looking through applications until January. This may just be school specific (I was told this by other U.S. programs, as well) but worth looking into for any Canadian programs you applied to. :) It's still rather early!