Fall 2020 Cognitive Psychology Interview Invites

brainsRus

18 hours ago, neuromorgan said:

I applied to four Canadian programs. No news yet for any interviews or indication on timelines from PIs.

I heard back from UofT this week (Skype interview), though I emailed the PI before applying. She said it's likely going quiet for the next few weeks, unless profs want to send emails over break. Probably picks up again in January.

UofT was late getting to applications this year because ETS was dragging their ass with sending the GRE scores.

17 hours ago, gre.egg said:

UofT was late getting to applications this year because ETS was dragging their ass with sending the GRE scores.

Gaaah what is it with ETS and sending scores to Canadian schools this year? Last year everybody got them in like a week, two weeks was the max. This year after a month and a half programs say they will use the unofficial scores until the official arrive because they still haven't received them.

3 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Gaaah what is it with ETS and sending scores to Canadian schools this year? Last year everybody got them in like a week, two weeks was the max. This year after a month and a half programs say they will use the unofficial scores until the official arrive because they still haven't received them.

Yeah, on my application it still says "documents pending" because of the GRE scores. But when I spoke to the POI (and admissions) she said she had them.

UofT also doesn't receive scores electronically, they get paper copies from ETS and then hand transcribe them. Why? Who knows.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard from UCR yet?

My situation is a little tricky: I had an informal Skype interview with a faculty at UCR, visited his research lab, and did a presentation in his lab meeting. All of these happened before the application deadline. The school admission said that faculty will interview applicants whom they want to work with via Skype/phone after viewing their application (they don't have in-person interviews.) So, I'm not sure things that happened before their application deadline mean anything...  Though he did somehow indicate his willingness to accept me during my visit, I just haven't heard back from the school yet, and it's driving me crazy -- should I email him instead, or should I wait a little longer?  And advices?

1 hour ago, MeloBook249 said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard from UCR yet?

My situation is a little tricky: I had an informal Skype interview with a faculty at UCR, visited his research lab, and did a presentation in his lab meeting. All of these happened before the application deadline. The school admission said that faculty will interview applicants whom they want to work with via Skype/phone after viewing their application (they don't have in-person interviews.) So, I'm not sure things that happened before their application deadline mean anything...  Though he did somehow indicate his willingness to accept me during my visit, I just haven't heard back from the school yet, and it's driving me crazy -- should I email him instead, or should I wait a little longer?  And advices?

I would wait a little longer. It is still very early, and so emailing him or the department office may seem a bit pushy (especially on Christmas Eve). I would wait until the end of January, and then if you still have not heard anything, email the psychology department office just to check where things are at in the process! 

5 minutes ago, lolhelp said:

I would wait a little longer. It is still very early, and so emailing him or the department office may seem a bit pushy (especially on Christmas Eve). I would wait until the end of January, and then if you still have not heard anything, email the psychology department office just to check where things are at in the process! 

I'm definitely with you. I was going to send a email after the holiday season, but the rational side of myself was telling me even that would be a bit early. I guess it's just that seeing other people receiving interview offers, while I'm not hearing back from schools I applied to makes me paranoid. The good news (I presume) is that I didn't see anyone posted interview offers from the schools on my list, so it is possible that things are slower for them. Anyways, thanks for your advice! Hope things come out well for both of us. Happy holidays!

On 12/18/2019 at 8:02 AM, neuromorgan said:

AAH! So excited to be able to fill this out!!

School: Notre Dame

Type: PhD

Date of invite: December 17, 2019

Type of invite: Email from PI (Initials JK)

Interview date(s): THIS Thursday or Friday (omg so quick) via Zoom with another faculty member

I got a second interview! The PI (JK) emailed me on Friday 12/27/19 to organize, the professor who is interviewing me (JP) replied Sunday 12/29/19, and the Skype interview is tomorrow Monday 12/30/19!

I'm hoping the speed at which these interviews are coming is a good sign ?

On 12/19/2019 at 7:44 PM, jazzgirl said:

Regarding the informal Skype interviews, will they usually let you know their decision at the end of the interview?

I don't think so, I had a really long convo with my PI and he said he'll let me know in a few days after speaking with the other advisors. I think it does vary by program and also whether you applied to multiple advisors.

Eek, so excited to be able to fill this out.

School: Tufts

Date of invite: 12/30

Type of invite: School visit/email from PI

Interview date(s): Feb. 9th and 10th

School: Arizona State

Date of invite: December 23, 2019

Type of invite: Email from Dept. Head (Initials GB)

Interview date(s): 2/6 - 2/8 ; billed as a "recruitment/interview weekend", had 2 informal chats with PI (NA) prior. PI also told me I'd be officially invited on 12/13.

UCMerced Interview Invite pending according to informal email from PI (MS), holding out for official correspondence, unknown dates.

Hi any JHU Psychological and Brain Sciences applicant around who have received interview invites? Please post your PIs Initials here. That would help many of us. Thank you. or PM me.