Graduate Institute Geneva - 2020

fatlum

Hi!

How much do you think that work experience matters?

I have applied for the MIA, and I actually think I am a competitive candidate (GPA = 3.98, experience as a research assistant, international conferences, publications, 5 languages), but I fear my profile is too academic (although I have highlighted the reasons why I prefer the MIA programme rather than the IRPS).

Indeed, I have been a volunteer in some relevant social projects, but I have no experience with internships or things like that. Professional experience is really indispensable to have any chance of success?

On 1/13/2020 at 2:59 PM, Boudibou123 said:

Wow thanks @Masters2020 for all the input! Really informative!

I’m also curious as to what do the graduates of the MIA do afterwards. It would be interesting if you could share what you expect to do upon graduation or what some people you know do for a living afterwards.

thanks again!! :)

My guess is that some graduates would work in Geneva, and others just leave to their countries to work there on issues they are familiar with (education, public policy, investment...). Europeans are more likely to stay in the Geneva community, since it's way easier because of visas etc. (and generally good salaries if you're lucky to get a full–time, stable job). The Geneva market however is getting more competitive than ever, and you can see that by some requirements (French mostly, but also appreciating Spanish or German)

On 1/15/2020 at 5:51 AM, lumz2020 said:

Hi!

How much do you think that work experience matters?

I have applied for the MIA, and I actually think I am a competitive candidate (GPA = 3.98, experience as a research assistant, international conferences, publications, 5 languages), but I fear my profile is too academic (although I have highlighted the reasons why I prefer the MIA programme rather than the IRPS).

Indeed, I have been a volunteer in some relevant social projects, but I have no experience with internships or things like that. Professional experience is really indispensable to have any chance of success?

I believe you have an outstanding profile for MIA, not necessarily because of your GPA (congratulations, it's just incredible), but the other things you've done! Nope, my guess is that internships do not necessarily give an added value if you have other solid experiences as it's your case, though the MIA profile is so diverse that you find literally everything; people who have interned at top embassies or think-tanks, or those who barely have any work experience but compensate it with other outstanding achievements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any updates? I've applied for the masters in international economics programme, and the status of my application on the portal was "under consideration" for the past 3-4 weeks and it just changed to "online application (filed)"--different from "online application (submitted)", which they explain the meaning of. The list of documents had also disappeared during the consideration period but is back now.

I was wondering if anyone knows what this means. For example, on the LSE applications portal if your transcripts move to the bottom of the list it means you should expect a positive decision in the next few days. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Getting super anxious...

@gradstudent95

Hi there,

experiencing similar issues on my follow up account. My file was 'under review' for3-4 weeks, and now it just changed back to 'application received:incomplete', event though I am 100% sure everything is completed and my documents have been uploaded more than 2 months ago. List of documents also appeared again, but had disappeared before.

I would not worry too much about it. Probably a bug in their systems (that seem quite old btw). ProbAbly just means things are moving! :)

@Masters2020

I was wondering if you could share insights as to whether it is possible to do the coursework of the program in less than 2 years? I know that in some programs people are able to graduate in 1.5 years or even less, given that they take more classes per semester. Is that something that is possible? Have you heard of some students doing that?

thank you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We will hear about the result soon in 2 weeks...I am nervous. Anyone here applied to the Master in development studies program ?

Edited by KIMAMS

On 2/19/2020 at 5:22 PM, Boudibou123 said:

@Masters2020

I was wondering if you could share insights as to whether it is possible to do the coursework of the program in less than 2 years? I know that in some programs people are able to graduate in 1.5 years or even less, given that they take more classes per semester. Is that something that is possible? Have you heard of some students doing that?

thank you! :)

Hello there! It depends, but based on my experience in the interdisciplinary programs, here is how it works: in Year 1, you'd generally take 30ECTS each semester (60ECTS the entire year). In Year 2, 9ECTS in the first semester are only the Capstone Project, to which you would add 21ECTS (Normally 3 classes + 1 one seminar). And the final semester is the 30ECTS Thesis. That means that you'd complete your coursework in 1.5 years, leaving the last 6 months just for your thesis. Almost everyone does that. Having said that, you may design your curriculum as you want. If you wanna take more credits in Year 1 to have less credits in Year 2 in order to, well, start your thesis earlier or focus more extensively on the Capstone Project, that's perfect! You can also take less credits & make up for that in Year 2. It's up to you. As I said, most people do technically finish the Master's in 1.5 years (excluding the thesis). I don't know about disciplinary programs, since they don't have the Capstone, but I think it's broadly similar (those 9 ECTS are additional classes for them). Hope that helps, and good luck everyone with decisions coming up soon. Keep in mind that the overall acceptance rate is 25%, so huge congrats if you are accepted, and no worries if you're not –– IHEID has very peculiar ways of assessing candidates, and that means absolutely nothing about your skills or profile. It's just a very particular assessment process, I would say.

45 minutes ago, globalhealthenthusiast said:

Nothing! I'm wondering if it is because March 15th is on a weekend, perhaps they will release results tomorrow? Either way i'll be checking my email every hour on the hour today....

It was mentioned on the facebook group that decisions will be released on, not before, 16th March. I'm wondering what time on 16th March at this point...

15 hours ago, gradstudent95 said:

It was mentioned on the facebook group that decisions will be released on, not before, 16th March. I'm wondering what time on 16th March at this point...

Yes, thanks for letting us know! All the best to everyone :)

6 hours ago, Menocchio II said:

I am feeling super relaxed right now after having seen my acceptance from International History with a generous scholarship. I hope all of you will receive good news very soon! Take care.

I got the admission to international history also. But without scholarship

Hey everybody, I want your thoughts. 

**Admitted to MALD at Fletcher with a $30k/$140k scholarship for the 2 years & IHEID IRPS fast-track without any aid. Waiting on external aid which should be another $30k. 

**My background: Fresh out of college. Financially independent. International. 

Options are:

1. Attend Fletcher. Defer one-year. Work. Apply to more fellowships, and eventually take loans. Overall, very expensive, but possible. 

2. Attend IHEID. Should have sufficient to pay for first year, but should pray to get any aid for the PhD. 

I love both programs, but Fletcher has been more active in reaching out and selling the program better.

What would you do? Either choice would be expensive. 

• 1 month later...