Gender/Feminist Studies (Fall 2020)

jenny67

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh! Happy to have found this thread. I was wondering where everyone was! Still waiting on two programs (UCLA, Arizona); heard back from OSU.

@HanyeOliver OSU did interviews earlier this week. I don't know if everyone who gets into OSU does one or not, though. I haven't heard about interviews at the other programs I applied to.

Edited by lkaitlyn

Hey, y'all, hope everyone's not too anxious waiting for a response. I'm just wondering if anyone actually applied to UCLA Gender Studies program and if you have received any response from them? Cuz I've sent like 2-3 emails before the deadline, asking for clarification sort of things, but they never got back to me. I figure some of us fellow applicants might have some info on why they are being so silent.

I applied to UCLA and haven't heard back yet. Historically they've notified in late January or early February. They just seem to be one of those departments that stays quiet until decisions are out. If you have a question about an application glitch, I found emailing specific staff members very effective (instead of using their general email address).

10 hours ago, noneckmonsters said:

I got an interview invitation today! Make sure you are picking up your phone!!!!

Congratulations! Also curious which school ya heard from. I only applied to one GS PhD program (UCLA), but no word yet. However, I'm cautiously optimistic about my odds as my POI warned that the committee tends to prefer a "diverse" cohort in terms of education history. 

Edited by soupnazi

Also, I'm curious what type of phone number called you--I received two calls from an 800 number, but assumed it was spam. Thankfully, I've at least got an interview scheduled somewhere.

Edited by soupnazi

12 hours ago, soupnazi said:

Congratulations! Also curious which school ya heard from. I only applied to one GS PhD program (UCLA), but no word yet. However, I'm cautiously optimistic about my odds as my POI warned that the committee tends to prefer a "diverse" cohort in terms of education history. 

It was from the University of Maryland. It wasn't an 800 number. It registered as MD, but it was College Park, MD. It was some other town. Best of luck to everyone! Also, how are people preparing for potential interviews? Tips?

On 1/15/2020 at 11:23 PM, soupnazi said:

Universities of California take a bit longer than other schools. I doubt you'll hear back till at least the end of the month... almost there...

10 hours ago, noneckmonsters said:

Universities of California take a bit longer than other schools. I doubt you'll hear back till at least the end of the month... almost there...

I suppose that's true! I think I'm just more anxious because UC Irvine invited me for an interview and recruitment day only a week and a half after I submitted my application. I applied to 7 in total, and I'm beginning to regret it because I now have to agonize over receiving each decision!

Have you thought about what you'll wear for your interview? I had an outfit in mind, but I have to attend 3 days of events during my recruitment visit. ?

I got an interview invitation from the grad director of UCSC FMST earlier this week and got it done yesterday. He said I was shortlisted to their top 8 and they'll probably make 3-4 offers around mid-Feb. The decision also involves budgetary information the department has yet to receive, so the funding may shift the final number of offers.

Funny how the email said "relatively informal" but it was more formal than one of my other interviews (Anthro). Anyway, he basically dissected my whole SOP. I did my best, so we'll see. I'm a bit somber because I received my first rejection last night ? It was from the Anthro dept ^ from which my POI interviewed me 5 days after my app submission because she was so impressed...so I'm disappointed. Sigh. Anyway thanks for listening. 9 more decisions to wait on...

I apply to UNIVERSITY of WISCONSIN–MADISON MA gender and women's studies. I find that there is one offer in Gradcafe(just one) 12 days ago.

SO is there anyone receive decisions from this programs? I think maybe I should not keep any hope for this program...

Edited by HanyeOliver

On 1/18/2020 at 11:53 AM, soupnazi said:

I suppose that's true! I think I'm just more anxious because UC Irvine invited me for an interview and recruitment day only a week and a half after I submitted my application. I applied to 7 in total, and I'm beginning to regret it because I now have to agonize over receiving each decision!

Have you thought about what you'll wear for your interview? I had an outfit in mind, but I have to attend 3 days of events during my recruitment visit. ?

Wow! Congrats! I'm going business casual. I also have a three day interview, so I figured slacks and a decent shirt for everything except for the dinner with faculty and grad students. Not sure what I will wear that day, but I feel like I might switch to a skirt or dress with leggings. Would anyone else care to weigh in on this one?

Also, best of luck on the interview! 

On 1/18/2020 at 12:16 PM, masthana said:

I got an interview invitation from the grad director of UCSC FMST earlier this week and got it done yesterday. He said I was shortlisted to their top 8 and they'll probably make 3-4 offers around mid-Feb. The decision also involves budgetary information the department has yet to receive, so the funding may shift the final number of offers.

Funny how the email said "relatively informal" but it was more formal than one of my other interviews (Anthro). Anyway, he basically dissected my whole SOP. I did my best, so we'll see. I'm a bit somber because I received my first rejection last night ? It was from the Anthro dept ^ from which my POI interviewed me 5 days after my app submission because she was so impressed...so I'm disappointed. Sigh. Anyway thanks for listening. 9 more decisions to wait on...

Congrats! Their program is top notch! I didn't apply to that program at UCSC but I know it's a great program. Good luck!