Gender/Feminist Studies (Fall 2020)

jenny67

3 hours ago, Hopefulqueen said:

Has anyone heard from University of Arizona or Oregon State? Also, what does everyone focus in (history, language, social movements, theory, politics, etc.)?

I heard from the U of Arizona grad director via email this morning saying I was recommended for admission. Specific funding is not determined yet. It's unclear if they've made all decisions or not, and my portal still has no status update. I hope that helps.

My focus is on sexuality, race, law, and history.

33 minutes ago, Hopefulqueen said:

Thanks @lkaitlyn. I'm actually coming from a political science background but tried to keep my options open with some gender studies programs as well. Congratulations!

Nice! I'm also applying to a mix of different program types. Fingers crossed for you.

Hi All,

I've been going crazy waiting for decisions and I stumbled upon Gradcafe. I'm glad to know I am not suffering alone. I applied to 8 programs (UCLA, UCSC, UW, Maryland, Stony Brook, UA, Bloomington and OSU). Received rejections from OSU and Maryland in mid-Jan. I had a phone interview with Bloomington on the 21st and haven't heard a peep from anyone else.

Hopefully we'll all get some good news in the coming weeks. Sending good vibes to all of you! Will keep updating as the decisions roll in. 

Best,

John

Your list is similar to mine (UW, UA, OSU, UMinn, Rutgers, UKansas, UMaryland, UBuffalo - these last 2 for American Studies). I've had rejections from UMinn, OSU, and UKansas and absolute silence from everyone else as well. It feels good to know others are going through the same feeling right now! 

Best of luck as we all wait :) 

I was rejected by University of Kentucky today. That was the last of my applicants this cycle.

In total I was accepted to 1/3. Acceptance from University at Buffalo, rejections from Ohio State and Kentucky. 

7 hours ago, CaliAcademic said:

Still no news from UCLA?

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is. I'm beginning to wonder if they sent out acceptances but just no one on Grad Cafe got one? (Sorry — I know that's a very negative way of looking at things.)

1 hour ago, lkaitlyn said:

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is. I'm beginning to wonder if they sent out acceptances but just no one on Grad Cafe got one? (Sorry — I know that's a very negative way of looking at things.)

I’ve been wondering the same thing ? Feels really late compared to past application cycles. 

6 minutes ago, jwil said:

I’ve been wondering the same thing ? Feels really late compared to past application cycles. 

Especially considering that the person I talked to thought their admitted students visit was the first week of March ...

Edited by lkaitlyn

14 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

Especially considering that the person I talked to thought their admitted students visit was the first week of March ...

Let’s just remember that it’s not over until it’s over ?

2 hours ago, jwil said:

Let’s just remember that it’s not over until it’s over ?

Very true! It actually seems that a LOT of UCLA departments are releasing decisions as we speak, according to the results page these past two hours. Perhaps I became anxious too quickly! Fingers crossed y'all 

Edited by CaliAcademic

6 minutes ago, CaliAcademic said:

Very true! It actually seems that a LOT of UCLA departments are releasing decisions as we speak, according to the results page these past two hours. Perhaps I became anxious too quickly! Fingers crossed y'all 

Sorry to say this but did call the department this morning and they told me they've notified admitted students already. :(

38 minutes ago, jwil said:

Dreams crushed ?

I'm sorry. I also happen to know based on where I'm currently a student that someone big there is probably about to leave (don't want to out them yet because they should get to announce it at their leisure) so it's possible that became known and it changed who they admitted. I just found out myself and it definitely made the program ever so slightly less appealing to me personally. We will find places where we feel at home. ♥️ (And who knows? Maybe they haven't told waitlist people yet.)

45 minutes ago, GradHopeful2020 said:

Got rejected from UMinn Feminist Studies - I emailed to ask for an update and they updated my status in the portal like 10 mins later. Which emboldened me to reach out to the other 2 I haven't heard anything from, as I just wanna know either way at this point. Good luck to everyone x 

Hang in there ❤️ 

@CaliAcademic @lkaitlyn I was informed today (unofficially) that I was not admitted into UCLA's Gender Studies program. I was told that six people were admitted, two of which are international students. So, do with that what you will. Best of luck to you all!

Edited by soupnazi