UW Seattle MSW Fall 2020

Liza123

8 hours ago, jillianmsw said:

Hi there, how are you able to check financial aid? I'm having trouble finding where I do that. Thanks!!!

Have you set up your MyUW account yet? On the main page there is a link titled, "Student Finances", if you click on it, it will take you to a list where, "Financial Aid Status" is a clickable link.

On 3/11/2020 at 11:22 PM, ara275 said:

Have you set up your MyUW account yet? On the main page there is a link titled, "Student Finances", if you click on it, it will take you to a list where, "Financial Aid Status" is a clickable link.

This is super helpful! I just followed these steps and found this: "We have received your financial aid application for the year, but have not yet awarded you aid. If you are admitted to the UW or are a continuing student, and are eligible for aid, we will send you an award letter and information about processing aid." 

Did you receive the same message? I'm wondering when I'll receive my aid package.

Edited by moo!
duplicate text

14 hours ago, moo! said:

This is super helpful! I just followed these steps and found this: "We have received your financial aid application for the year, but have not yet awarded you aid. If you are admitted to the UW or are a continuing student, and are eligible for aid, we will send you an award letter and information about processing aid." 

Did you receive the same message? I'm wondering when I'll receive my aid package.

I do have the same message, the last I heard was that aid will be released on or shortly before the 30th.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to double post but the notifications about financial aid was updated. It now says that my application for financial aid is being reviewed and I'll be able to view my reward offer soon. So if anyone else has been waiting on pins and needles like me, it should be soon!

52 minutes ago, UFLChels said:

Just got my financial aid award! Do you guys think I could get a higher award amount if I tell them I’ve gotten a competitive offer from another school?

what did you get? Just got mine and not sure what to think of it :(

39 minutes ago, UFLChels said:

Just got my financial aid award! Do you guys think I could get a higher award amount if I tell them I’ve gotten a competitive offer from another school?

Did you find the award letter to be a little confusing? Was the "Expected Family Contribution Section" the amount the University is offering? I was so confused reading it but I know I was awarded something haha.

To answer your question, I think for a social work program you should be more honest about your circumstances regarding why you need more aid. The aid is merit based on genuine needs rather than demonstrating higher offers from other programs. You could give it a shot but we aren't applying for business school haha they want good people with good backgrounds that can advocate for why they need more financial support due to life being lifey. This industry isn't always the highest paying so there are so many people out there that need tremendous financial help in earning this degree. Good luck though!

1 minute ago, LauraG5454 said:

Is our offer the "Expected Family Contribution" number? And then did you get a bunch of loan information? 

The "Expected Family Contribution" number is not there offer. That is what they computed you family would be able to assist you.  The loan info is what was offered to you. 

Did anyone receive any gift aid (scholarships, grants, dept. scholarships)? I know on the website it says that if we receive any gift aid, we will be contacted by the school of social work, not OSFA.

Uhhhh also got my financial aid package which was all loans and 0 scholarship or grant money lol.. I got pretty good scholarships at the other schools I’ve gotten into I’m curious if anyone else has a similar aid package or is going to appeal or anything? 

2 minutes ago, Msw2020lala said:

Uhhhh also got my financial aid package which was all loans and 0 scholarship or grant money lol.. I got pretty good scholarships at the other schools I’ve gotten into I’m curious if anyone else has a similar aid package or is going to appeal or anything? 

Yeah...i got all loans and a work study. 

12 hours ago, LauraG5454 said:

Did you find the award letter to be a little confusing? Was the "Expected Family Contribution Section" the amount the University is offering? I was so confused reading it but I know I was awarded something haha.

To answer your question, I think for a social work program you should be more honest about your circumstances regarding why you need more aid. The aid is merit based on genuine needs rather than demonstrating higher offers from other programs. You could give it a shot but we aren't applying for business school haha they want good people with good backgrounds that can advocate for why they need more financial support due to life being lifey. This industry isn't always the highest paying so there are so many people out there that need tremendous financial help in earning this degree. Good luck though!

I got $6,600 in work study and the test loans. I’m also out of state so my cost of attendance is $55000. I understand about the competitive offer, but UW is my top choice and I was sort of hoping they’d be a lot more flexible with financial aid awards (especially for out of state). Another school just offered me in-state tuition, but it’s not as high ranked as UW. I agree that this isn’t business school, but sometimes you have to think outside of the box.

11 hours ago, ayshaface said:

I got $6,600 in Work Study and then all loans. :( Super bummed, especially because I'm from out-of-state. No idea what to even think.

Same! Not even sure I’ll be able to attend during the fall because of everything that’s going on with COVID 19 in Washington ?

Some good news! I emailed the School of social work about departmental aid and they said:

The School of Social Work will send out departmental scholarship information throughout the first week of April”

1 hour ago, mJcMSW said:

Some good news! I emailed the School of social work about departmental aid and they said:

The School of Social Work will send out departmental scholarship information throughout the first week of April”

Super helpful! Thanks

1 hour ago, mJcMSW said:

Huh, does this mean that our financial aid that has been currently released wouldn't contain scholarships if we were awarded one?

3 minutes ago, ayshaface said:

Huh, does this mean that our financial aid that has been currently released wouldn't contain scholarships if we were awarded one?

Tbh, I'm not sure. I would think that they would have just included them altogether the first time, but this email gives me hope that we'll have more funds to look forward to. 

Has anyone considered emailing UW about negotiating aid based on strong financial aid packages from other schools? To see if UW can match? Waiting to see if this departmental scholarship thing turns out over the next week but in case it doesn’t I’m wondering if anyone else is thinking to do the same 

1 hour ago, Msw2020lala said:

Has anyone considered emailing UW about negotiating aid based on strong financial aid packages from other schools? To see if UW can match? Waiting to see if this departmental scholarship thing turns out over the next week but in case it doesn’t I’m wondering if anyone else is thinking to do the same 

Definitely going to do the same if they offer me nothing! But I'm also waiting to see what happens next week.