UW Seattle MSW Fall 2020

Liza123

Just now, madisonc7 said:

I don't think anyone has heard anything, period

I was wondering because I believe I can now accept or decline on my application portal. (But I also don't know if I want to accept prior to knowing what my aid package would look like.)

3 hours ago, ara275 said:

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid packages; emails or mailed documents/letters? 

Hi. I was also offered admission on 2/14 but have not received anything about financial aid. I can also now accept/decline in the portal but I am waiting to hear about funding first. I will probably call the financial aid office if I don't receive anything this week. 

19 hours ago, moo! said:

I was really hoping they'd push out another round of decisions this past Friday, but I guess not! Fingers crossed for this Friday...

Same!! I just hope they aren't actually waiting until the mid/end of March date they gave.

Hi! I’m a fourth year undergrad student from Florida and I applied to UW Seattle 2 year MSW in December. I haven’t received an email from them yet, but I was wondering if anyone who was accepted would feel comfortable sharing their stats? Mine are 

Major: Family, Youth, and Community Sciences

GPA: 3.73 

Community service: Sporadic throughout college career, probably 1000-2000 hours

Edited by UFLChels

2 hours ago, UFLChels said:

Hi! I’m a fourth year undergrad student from Florida and I applied to UW Seattle 2 year MSW in December. I haven’t received an email from them yet, but I was wondering if anyone who was accepted would feel comfortable sharing their stats? Mine are 

Hey! Sure, don't mind at all. :)

Major : Applied Mathematics

GPA : 3.65

Community Service : ~3,000 hours, used to be a high school math teacher and I'm a Youth Advocate for a program that serves runaway and homeless youth.

2 hours ago, ayshaface said:

Hey! Sure, don't mind at all. :)

Major : Applied Mathematics

GPA : 3.65

Community Service : ~3,000 hours, used to be a high school math teacher and I'm a Youth Advocate for a program that serves runaway and homeless youth.

Thank you!

15 hours ago, UFLChels said:

Major: Social Work with an emphasis on U.S. - Mex border issues

GPA: 4.0

Community Service: ~2,500; 7 years experience working in Special Education, currently 2 years at a grant program for 1st gen college students.

17 hours ago, UFLChels said:

Major: sociology 

gpa: 3.48 

community service: I have about 200 hours volunteering and 4200 paid service hours, all accumulated after graduating in 2016. I’ve worked in programs serving foster youth. 

On 2/26/2020 at 4:59 PM, UFLChels said:

Just got my acceptance email!!!!!

I JUST RECEIVED MY ACCEPTANCE at 2:45pm today for the 2 year full-time MSW Day Program! I wanted to share as my gpa is a bit lower. good luck! :)

Major: Psychology, graduated a few years back

GPA: 3.2

Volunteering:  board member and committee chair for an LGBTQ youth non-profit, child advocate for Family Law Casa, Unpaid for over two years (this def made all the difference). 

Job:  Behavior Technician working in public schools as a one-on-one with Youth with ASD for 2 years 

Accepted: UW!!!!!, NYU, Fordham, Seattle University

Edited by LauraG5454
Incorrect input

10 minutes ago, Yes hello said:

Hey all,

I did my undergrad at UW and currently work at UW Medicine. I got accepted into UW's MSW and was able to talk to some people I know/work with about the program in a lot of depth. If anyone is thinking about moving to the area and has questions, I could probably help out!

Hello! Thank you for offering your help to those of us that would be moving to Seattle! 

I plan to not bring my vehicle to Seattle and will instead use public transportation. What are some areas to look into for housing that wouldn’t be too long of a commute? 

As someone moving from a warm climate, what are some things to look for when renting?

On 2/27/2020 at 11:46 AM, ara275 said:

Major: Social Work with an emphasis on U.S. - Mex border issues

GPA: 4.0

Community Service: ~2,500; 7 years experience working in Special Education, currently 2 years at a grant program for 1st gen college students.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, ara275 said:

Hello! Thank you for offering your help to those of us that would be moving to Seattle! 

I plan to not bring my vehicle to Seattle and will instead use public transportation. What are some areas to look into for housing that wouldn’t be too long of a commute? 

As someone moving from a warm climate, what are some things to look for when renting?

Hi I would also like to know more about Seattle (I’ve never been) and I currently live in Florida where it’s always warm. 

3 hours ago, ara275 said:

UW students get a UPass which covers all public transportation for "free" (it's covered in your tuition/fees), so using public transport is smart. Unfortunately my answer for areas to look for housing are honestly as vague as "whatever you can find that doesn't cost a ton" because cost of living is... very high. Wallingford maybe? That's super close by.

As far as coming from a warm climate, you may want to consider places that are close by to bus stops because you'll be using transport and don't want to walk too much in the rain/cold. Nobody uses umbrellas here, walking through the rain is just part of life!

You can private message me if you want to have a longer conversation!

1 hour ago, UFLChels said:

Hi I would also like to know more about Seattle (I’ve never been) and I currently live in Florida where it’s always warm. 

Ha I just told the person above that if your concern is climate, you may want to look for places to live that are relatively close by to bus stops because that way you can avoid walking through the rain. :) If you want to have a longer conversation you can PM me.

Just got my acceptance yesterday as well!! On my birthday! The best present.

GPA: 3.31

Experience: ~7,000 total. 4,000 paid. 3,000 unpaid (in college)  

Job: assistant director of equity & inclusion for a college and previously a program coordinator at a social services agency