UW Seattle MSW Fall 2020

Liza123

1 hour ago, PDXmsw said:

Just got my acceptance yesterday as well!! On my birthday! The best present.

GPA: 3.31

Experience: ~7,000 total. 4,000 paid. 3,000 unpaid (in college)  

Job: assistant director of equity & inclusion for a college and previously a program coordinator at a social services agency 

Happy birthday congrats!

Those of you relocating to WA...

I've been in Seattle about 2.5 years now from the east coast.  It's very different but super rad.  I've never loved a city more and the University is absolutely beautiful and such a big part of the community here.  Highly recommend using facebook pages to find roommates/housing accommodations.  Everything online will make it seem as though you can't find anything cheaper than $1200.  I live in a great area about 10-15 minutes from the university and my rent is $600/month in a house with 3 roommates. We have a really great time and I can't imagine a better setup for a grad student. I know a few other friends out here with similar living circumstances so definitely keep your eyes out for HOUSE postings in North Seattle: Greenwood, Green Lake, Phinney Ridge, Ballard, Revenna, University District, Wallingford, Fremont, etc.  North Seattle is pretty close to downtown and a really cool part of the city- extremely popular and each neighborhood has its own unique vibe.  Also note that come summer my house will have an open spot for the same cost and it would be so cool to have a little MSW community at home:) I'll be posting on Facebook roommate pages on behalf of our room that will be opening.  Cheers and good luck to those waiting to hear back!

I've attempted to include a link below but if it doesn't work just google Facebook roommate pages and you'll find a few different ones. I recommend joining as many as you find. Cheap(er) rent is possible here!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/764724473644699/

14 hours ago, LauraG5454 said:

Those of you relocating to WA...

I've been in Seattle about 2.5 years now from the east coast.  It's very different but super rad.  I've never loved a city more and the University is absolutely beautiful and such a big part of the community here.  Highly recommend using facebook pages to find roommates/housing accommodations.  Everything online will make it seem as though you can't find anything cheaper than $1200.  I live in a great area about 10-15 minutes from the university and my rent is $600/month in a house with 3 roommates. We have a really great time and I can't imagine a better setup for a grad student. I know a few other friends out here with similar living circumstances so definitely keep your eyes out for HOUSE postings in North Seattle: Greenwood, Green Lake, Phinney Ridge, Ballard, Revenna, University District, Wallingford, Fremont, etc.  North Seattle is pretty close to downtown and a really cool part of the city- extremely popular and each neighborhood has its own unique vibe.  Also note that come summer my house will have an open spot for the same cost and it would be so cool to have a little MSW community at home:) I'll be posting on Facebook roommate pages on behalf of our room that will be opening.  Cheers and good luck to those waiting to hear back!

I've attempted to include a link below but if it doesn't work just google Facebook roommate pages and you'll find a few different ones. I recommend joining as many as you find. Cheap(er) rent is possible here!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/764724473644699/

What’s your opinion on microstudios? I don’t mind paying a higher rent ($1000) if it means I get to live alone. I am currently in college and living with a roommate after this doesn’t sound all that appealing to me anymore. I don’t mind having a smaller space as I plan on being outdoors most of the time. 

On 2/14/2020 at 8:04 PM, Msw2020lala said:

Thank you!!!! I’m so shocked myself, I was really not expecting it at all. It seems way earlier than usual. My admission portal says that it is still processing my acceptance and in 1-2 days I will be able to accept or decline the offer (on the portal rn the boxes are grayed out), there’s no financial aid information right now but I assume that will be sent out soon? Hoping it won’t be too bad as I’m an out of state applicant. 

Hi did you ever receive any financial aid info? I’m also an out of state applicant

On 3/1/2020 at 7:23 AM, UFLChels said:

What’s your opinion on microstudios? I don’t mind paying a higher rent ($1000) if it means I get to live alone. I am currently in college and living with a roommate after this doesn’t sound all that appealing to me anymore. I don’t mind having a smaller space as I plan on being outdoors most of the time. 

I actually have looked at some microstudios myself.. Definitely not for me. While I don't utilize or require too much space I still could not justify the cost for how small these spaces are- IT IS WILD how small they are. Furthermore, management for microstudios seem really bad. So definitely look into reviews on the specific building you're checking out. I really stan the facebook pages... there are some solid and awesome living opportunities out there that would be a lot more ideal than a microstudio. But at the very least take a look at the building reviews, make sure parking is included, and that your unit is safe from break-ins. And that you have solid management since these studios mean that your community will be a lot of shared spaces including shared kitchen/ living room/parking lot/laundry etc. so you want to feel confident that you have solid support in the microstudio life and that it sustains a solid baseline for safety.

So for my Advanced Standing colleagues, for the Field Placement Application that's due this Friday, what are you putting for your living situation/address?

Hi all, 

Congrats to everyone accepted and best of luck to those still waiting to hear! Quick question for those who have heard back, I was hoping to receive my financial aid/funding package today but I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know when we're supposed to hear? I know they said a few weeks from our acceptance date, but that would be today for those accepted Feb 14th. 

Thanks for your help!

35 minutes ago, 2020_UofC said:

Hi all, 

Congrats to everyone accepted and best of luck to those still waiting to hear! Quick question for those who have heard back, I was hoping to receive my financial aid/funding package today but I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know when we're supposed to hear? I know they said a few weeks from our acceptance date, but that would be today for those accepted Feb 14th. 

Thanks for your help!

Hi! I got accepted 2/28 so a little later but when I reached out about Financial aid the person said I would need to reach out to FinAid myself but to give it at least 2-3 weeks before one was created. Additionally, for department scholarships/funding they said those would be sent at the end of March.

42 minutes ago, 2020_UofC said:

Hi all, 

Thanks for your help!

I was accepted on the 14th and yes I still have not heard any financial aid info. 

4 hours ago, ayshaface said:

Weird, I haven't gotten a phone call or an email. Maybe it's based on focus/concentration?

What concentration are you with? (I am Admin and Policy Practice concentration and got my email at about 1PM MST today)

15 hours ago, ara275 said:

What concentration are you with? (I am Admin and Policy Practice concentration and got my email at about 1PM MST today)

I'm taking the Clinical route with a focus on children and families. I haven't committed yet though, maybe that's a part of i!

I've been checking for financial aid like crazy, and today, the message center changed messages. I don't even remember what it said before, but now it says, "We have received your financial aid application for the year but have not yet awarded you aid."

1 hour ago, ara275 said:

I've been checking for financial aid like crazy, and today, the message center changed messages. I don't even remember what it said before, but now it says, "We have received your financial aid application for the year but have not yet awarded you aid."

Me too :( I had checked it before and I believe there was a third message that said something about filling out the supplemental form? But that’s gone now. I really hope they give aid information soon! I’m eager to decide if it’s even viable financially for me to attend. 

46 minutes ago, Msw2020lala said:

Me too :( I had checked it before and I believe there was a third message that said something about filling out the supplemental form? But that’s gone now. I really hope they give aid information soon! I’m eager to decide if it’s even viable financially for me to attend. 

I agree. I would like to start filling out some financial reconsideration forms, asking if Denver could match offers from other schools, but so far I only have Bryn Mawr and I would like them to also do a financial reconsideration haha.

I'm also trying to be understanding due to the campus closure and everyone working remotely. It can't be easy.

4 hours ago, ara275 said:

Hi there, how are you able to check financial aid? I'm having trouble finding where I do that. Thanks!!!

Hi everyone! :)

I've been in recent contact with the folks at UW in regards to financial matters (yesterday even!). I was told that all financial information, including FAFSA information and potential departmental scholarships will be awarded by the end of the month. Frustrating indeed, as I reached out to BC for financial reconsideration and first thing they wanted to know was how much UW was offering me ... Which I obviously can't tell them yet. ? 

1 hour ago, ayshaface said:

Hi everyone! :)

I've been in recent contact with the folks at UW in regards to financial matters (yesterday even!). I was told that all financial information, including FAFSA information and potential departmental scholarships will be awarded by the end of the month. Frustrating indeed, as I reached out to BC for financial reconsideration and first thing they wanted to know was how much UW was offering me ... Which I obviously can't tell them yet. ? 

I applied to university of Georgia (I live in Florida and needed safety schools) and they’ve sent me like three acceptance letters and offered me an in state tuition waiver. I really want to hear back from UW because it would be sooo expensive for me to go there without financial aid. Let me know if you hear anything back from them.