UW Seattle MSW Fall 2020

Liza123

Submitted my application on January 1st, a day before the deadline. I switched over to advanced standing since I'll have my BSW in May...I'm so nervous and I hate how long the wait is - over half of the semester! I also applied to Denver and UMich and will likely have to respond to one of them (if I get in) before I hear back from UW Seattle

Thus, I've created this thread to talk to and rant with other applicants. Here's to hoping all of us get accepted! 

I applied to the 2020 advanced standing cohort as well. It seems so hard to believe they announce decisions in late March and then you start at the end of July. It seems like there's no time at all!

UW is my first choice and I also applied to Denver and UWMilwaukee.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:00 PM, Somalb said:

I applied to the Day Program! Does anyone know if decisions actually do come out in late march? Or do people get them earlier too? 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:13 PM, ara275 said:

I applied to the 2020 advanced standing cohort as well. It seems so hard to believe they announce decisions in late March and then you start at the end of July. It seems like there's no time at all!

UW is my first choice and I also applied to Denver and UWMilwaukee.

@ara275 Oh cool, I also applied to Denver! I talked to someone from admissions on Friday - they said that decisions are released as they go, and if you did the December 15th deadline, we'll know within the next two weeks! Eep! Wishing you all the luck - hopefully we will be future classmates!

@ara275 I agree about the late decision date! I applied to three schools, all out-of-state, so for any of them, hearing back in late March is fairly inconvenient for me. Washington, though, is literally on the other side of the country, so it is really stressful to consider everything I'd have to do between late March and late July, if I'm accepted. And Washington IS my first choice as well, so if I'm accepted, I'm attending! What gets me is that the 2019 advanced standing class profile only had 130 applicants. I know their application date is later than other schools, but late March seems like an awfully long time to go through applications? Especially considering Michigan is able to go through 500+ between their early deadline and February 1st (and winter break)...I'm so tempted to call admissions and ask about my status already, even though January isn't over yet. 

@Somalb I stalked the forum for fall 2019 applicants and hardly anyone had mentioned applying to Washington - I also looked at signatures, and only one person had their hear-back date, which was 3/15.  I guess that's technically mid-March, but still pretty late. Honestly I want to give admissions a call and ask if they send out decisions earlier than late March, and what my own status is. I'm going to try and wait until February to do that, though. 

Question for both of you/anyone else - are you guys going to visit the campus? If so, will it be before or after the decision? I'll be visiting schools that accepted me during my spring break, which is the first week of March - so possibly before I hear back from Washington. But after spring break, I won't have another chance until school is out, so I'm wondering if I should? It is my first choice, so in that regard, I feel like it would be beneficial. But it would also be expensive (especially if I end up visiting all three schools), so I need to consider that as well.

In other news, I was accepted to University of Michigan Thursday night! I half applied only for the ego boost, and am still shocked lmao. I hope I can delay my answer for a while. 

Edited by Liza123

On 1/18/2020 at 10:26 PM, Liza123 said:

@Somalb I stalked the forum for fall 2019 applicants and hardly anyone had mentioned applying to Washington - I also looked at signatures, and only one person had their hear-back date, which was 3/15.  I guess that's technically mid-March, but still pretty late. Honestly I want to give admissions a call and ask if they send out decisions earlier than late March, and what my own status is. I'm going to try and wait until February to do that, though. 

Question for both of you/anyone else - are you guys going to visit the campus? If so, will it be before or after the decision? I'll be visiting schools that accepted me during my spring break, which is the first week of March - so possibly before I hear back from Washington. But after spring break, I won't have another chance until school is out, so I'm wondering if I should? It is my first choice, so in that regard, I feel like it would be beneficial. But it would also be expensive (especially if I end up visiting all three schools), so I need to consider that as well.

In other news, I was accepted to University of Michigan Thursday night! I half applied only for the ego boost, and am still shocked lmao. I hope I can delay my answer for a while. 

@Liza123Congratulations for getting into Michigan! If you have any questions about Ann Arbor or this area feel free to reach out! I'm currently here for undergrad :)

I visited UW back in late July but I plan on visiting sometime either during or after my spring break as well! It will most likely be before decisions come out but hopefully we find out before late March! 

Edited by Somalb

So I emailed the admissions office, at the suggestion of my research supervisor. Her idea was that if I let them know I've already been accepted and have to respond to X school soon, they might push my application forward (apparently Denver would love to take someone from Michigan, but she was unsure about UW). I made sure to include in my email that Washington is my top choice and essentially asked for my application status. 

They just responded and said that to be fair to all applicants, the earliest they send out admissions decisions is the end of March, "so that all applicants receive their notifications at the same time". So this must mean they don't release on a rolling basis, and end of March is still their target deadline. Frustrating, but glad to know that I will likely not be finding out during February, which saves a lot of anxiety. (March is a different story.)

I might die. I just stalked the forum for last year - people were hearing back as early as February and as late as mid-March (maybe after then too, I didn't finish reading). Maybe it just depends on how many applicants they get, and how fast they get through review.

Although, it also seemed like applicants were hearing back on a rolling basis...so maybe it changed this year? No idea. I'm just going to try and accept that I won't know until late March, and if it's earlier...hopefully it's good news!

Edited by Liza123

After talking to an admissions counselor from Bryn Mawr back and forth for a few days, I ended up applying after she waived my admissions fee. When I was first looking for colleges in high school, I think I, like everyone else that had seen Mona Lisa Smile or read Sylvia Plath wanted to attend one of the Seven Sisters, then I realized how expensive they all were! I think it'll be something of an ego boost, to see if I am accepted or not. I think my soul would really love being on that wonderful campus though.

Edited by ara275
spelling error

On 1/23/2020 at 12:15 PM, Gelibutter said:

March is so SOOOO late. 

I honestly can't believe they take so long. 

It really doesn't make sense, considering that for last year, at least, they only received 400 or so applications? Which I mean, is a lot, but also, Michigan gets over 1000. Maybe their staff is smaller though, and they have to space out the review days. I'm honestly just glad I don't have to respond to Michigan until 3/30, although if I'm accepted to Denver, I don't think it'll even be an option tbh. (They also offered me no aid, but this was before my Fasfa was submitted, so hopefully that'll change...)

Did anyone else get the email about field placements, and applying for competitive placements? I find it super frustrating that they are due a week after we'll hear back, so essentially we have to apply even if we'll be rejected (I'm obviously doing it if there's a placement I want, but still). But I also find it interesting that admitted students will be contacted by a faculty member in late February or early March, which seems like an unofficial acceptance....in which case, they should just send out the official decision? I dunno...I was kinda excited/relieved that for at least February, I wouldn't be expecting any emails, but now that isn't the case. 

13 hours ago, Liza123 said:

Did anyone else get the email about field placements, and applying for competitive placements? I find it super frustrating that they are due a week after we'll hear back, so essentially we have to apply even if we'll be rejected (I'm obviously doing it if there's a placement I want, but still). But I also find it interesting that admitted students will be contacted by a faculty member in late February or early March, which seems like an unofficial acceptance....in which case, they should just send out the official decision? I dunno...I was kinda excited/relieved that for at least February, I wouldn't be expecting any emails, but now that isn't the case. 

I didn’t get that email. hmm

On 2/1/2020 at 7:05 PM, Liza123 said:

I got it as well. I made an appointment with my field director to go over it and get her perspective on it. I think I’m just in my head about the logistics of it.

9 hours ago, ara275 said:

I got it as well. I made an appointment with my field director to go over it and get her perspective on it. I think I’m just in my head about the logistics of it.

You have a field director? Is that like your liasion? I'm trying to figure out what the equivalent would be for me.

2 hours ago, Liza123 said:

You have a field director? Is that like your liasion? I'm trying to figure out what the equivalent would be for me.

Our Field Director runs the Field Program, we are such a small program that our field director takes on almost all of the tasks that a field liaison would have. We are a cohort of about 60 (Juniors, Seniors) about half the students commute from California, and the rest of us are in Arizona. The California students do have a "field education liaison" for their seminar sessions, while the students in Arizona have our sessions with the field director. 

So, how's everyone doing? Two and a half weeks left of February before March is here and decisions will come out.

Did anyone decided to apply for a competitive field placement? I looked it over and I liked Seattle Indian Health Board but it sounds very, very similar to my current field placement. I also liked Evergreen College Counseling but I believe it said they're only taking clinical track students and I'm Admin and Policy Practice.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:40 AM, ara275 said:

So, how's everyone doing? Two and a half weeks left of February before March is here and decisions will come out.

Did anyone decided to apply for a competitive field placement? I looked it over and I liked Seattle Indian Health Board but it sounds very, very similar to my current field placement. I also liked Evergreen College Counseling but I believe it said they're only taking clinical track students and I'm Admin and Policy Practice.

Well, my boss sent out a summer intention survey yesterday that is due 2/21 (I worked at a summer camp), and I have no idea what to put yet. I want to work full-time, but my options may be limited, since I would be leaving early in the summer for either UDenver or UW (they may put me on part-time, which ofc doesn't pay as much). At the same time, I've seriously considered a gap year should I get rejected from Washington. In that case, I could work for the entire summer, save up, and then move in August or so, although I'd have to find temp housing. I also would love to hear back from Washington now, so I can plan a potential visit over spring break, but here we are. ?‍♀️ I've definitely shut up about grad school since I heard back from Denver, because like, I know I'm not going to get an email anytime soon. That's actually relived a lot of anxiety for me. 

Don't decisions come out in late March, though? So we have to endure most of that month first ahahaha. But then, a field faculty member will be contacting accepted students between late Feb and early March, which to me seems like an unofficial acceptance, no? 

As for the competitive field placement - I applied for the CCIP concentration, and most of the placements when I looked were for clinical. Those that were CCIP did not interest me. I know they said they'd be updating it so I'll be checking now and then, and am gonna figure out who to ask for references just in case (and so they know ahead of time). 

Sorry for the long response. ?

Being notified for field placements in late Feb/early March is what I was going off of. I can't imagine the admissions/field department taking the time to place students if they won't be accepted.

When is your Spring Break, maybe we could coordinate a trip to UW together?

On 2/11/2020 at 2:21 PM, ara275 said:

Being notified for field placements in late Feb/early March is what I was going off of. I can't imagine the admissions/field department taking the time to place students if they won't be accepted.

When is your Spring Break, maybe we could coordinate a trip to UW together?

Yeah, same. I also stalked a forum from the past and it seemed like people were finding out earlier than late March - possibly around the time a field faculty member contacted them? Or maybe the admissions office just finished earlier than planned - which, given the total number of applicants last year (around 400), wouldn't surprise me.

So, my spring break is March 8th--14th. I'd love to coordinate a trip, but I'm not positive if I can visit yet (during spring break) because of my internship and hours (I'm at a school, so the spring breaks are different). If I do end up visiting though, I might see you? 

So another email was sent out with the competitive placements for the CCIP and AAP concentrations. But I'm kind of confused about this whole process - one email said that all accepted students would be contacted by a field faculty member in late Feb/early March. And this email is saying only students who don't apply to a competitive placement will be contacted, correct? But also, we aren't supposed to apply until we hear back, and applications are due on 3/2? So when are we going to get our acceptance/can we actually apply - in late March, or when a field faculty member contacts us?  Also, they said the applications are due a week after we receive a decision...in which case...we should be hearing back super soon??

Essentially, it doesn't seem like the case at all that we won't have a decision until late March - seems much, much sooner.  I guess I shouldn't be complaining because I will be hearing back earlier than planned, but the whole process seems a bit unclear to me. Anyone else? Or am I overthinking...

I don't even know if my ramble made sense. But I sent an email asking for some clarification about my questions above as well as if all placements offer a stipend, versus only competitive ones. Sadly, none of the placements for the CCIP concentration caught my interest that much, but I love the idea of actually being paid for my labor...

1 hour ago, Msw2020lala said:

Y’all I applied January 2 and I just got an e-mail acceptance today!!!!! Wow I’m super stoked! Anyway I hope this means more of you got accepted here I was thinking I was going to have to wait until March ?

Wow! What! That's awesome! I'm shocked. I applied then, too!

Was financial aid info involved?

Edited by madisonc7