Calling all French PHD 2020 Applicants ...

MonsieurHonoré

On 1/26/2020 at 3:07 AM, xinyu_uynix said:

oh was there an interview process @mllesaid?

Not yet! Sorry for the confusion. I had just called the admin assistant to ask her something about my application materials right before I submitted.

10 hours ago, Robert_Kerans said:

Hi all

Just landed an interview at Columbia. Fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone.

Congratulations! Same here!

17 minutes ago, mllesaid said:

Not yet! Sorry for the confusion. I had just called the admin assistant to ask her something about my application materials right before I submitted.

Congratulations! Same here!

Not yet? @mllesaid Are interviews commonplace for French PhD admissions? Why would this information not be posted beforehand?

Edited by sgb

5 minutes ago, sgb said:

Not yet? @mllesaid Are interviews commonplace for French PhD admissions? Why would this information not be posted beforehand?

I meant not yet for any Berkeley news at all – admission decisions, campus visits, etc. I realize I'm not being clear, my apologies.

Skype interviews are apparently a fairly new development in French grad admissions committees (according to my advisors) – I'm not sure what the general protocol is at all! But it seems like a good way to do the interview process.

Edited by mllesaid

Bonjour à tous ! I am not applying to a PhD program this year (grad school for French is now in my past), but I saw this in the "waiting" section and just had to pop in and say courage!! The Grad Café helped keep me sane during my waiting process, and I even made a friend. Take care and I hope you all get your top choices. 

@Soleil ت Merci infiniment et bien à vous !!! 

Congrats on everyone's interviews! I have one myself tomorrow ... Yikes!

A few people put acceptances to Berkeley in the results - congrats to those who applied and were accepted there!!

Also, someone put in the results that they received a rejection from UVA. Any insight on how they send out their decisions? I know that they usually have a weekend or something where they invite applicants to Charlottesville. Has anyone received news on that? Just curious on where that might possibly leave me in the app pool, even though there's literally no way to tell lol. 

24 minutes ago, MonsieurHonoré said:

@Soleil ت Merci infiniment et bien à vous !!! 

Congrats on everyone's interviews! I have one myself tomorrow ... Yikes!

A few people put acceptances to Berkeley in the results - congrats to those who applied and were accepted there!!

Also, someone put in the results that they received a rejection from UVA. Any insight on how they send out their decisions? I know that they usually have a weekend or something where they invite applicants to Charlottesville. Has anyone received news on that? Just curious on where that might possibly leave me in the app pool, even though there's literally no way to tell lol. 

Yeah that was me. I got an email earlier today telling me to log in the portal for my admission decision. I hope you have more luck than me!

Hey everyone, sorry I'm late to the posts. Reading your posts has been helpful to know there are other folks going through the same! So far I've received acceptances with UMich French, UC Berkeley Comp Lit and Penn State Comp Lit. I'm pretty sure based on posts that I didn't get into Harvard (joint track RLL), Duke (joint track RLL), or Emory Comp Lit. Holding out a little hope for Yale French. Applied CL at USC (cali) and NYU but they seem to send results later based on other years. Also very happy to see folks getting so many great options. Congrats to all!

Well I haven't heard anything from UC Berkeley, so that probably means I was rejected there. Ugh. And I haven't heard anything from any of the other seven schools I applied to, which is really disheartening.

15 minutes ago, sgb said:

Well I haven't heard anything from UC Berkeley, so that probably means I was rejected there. Ugh. And I haven't heard anything from any of the other seven schools I applied to, which is really disheartening.

hey sgb, dont sweat it, i too have yet to hear. nearly all of the six programs i applied to are still sorting through apps. only one of them -- princeton -- appears to have made some (if not all!) of its decisions. i think next two to three weeks we should hear back from at least a couple. Best of luck to you and to everyone waiting anxiously like me!!!!

Hey! I got rejected to UVA too but it's no biggie. I saw an acceptance from UVA so maybe they are slowly sending out decisions. Who knows? Whichever way, I have others I'm waiting on and the nerves are consuming me. Good luck! 

Also, has anyone applied to Cornell in this thread or heard anything from them? I remember I think one or two people mentioning it, but my memory is slipping.

And does anyone know if they do on-campus interviews or Skype/Zoom? 

Edited by MonsieurHonoré

8 hours ago, MonsieurHonoré said:

Also, has anyone applied to Cornell in this thread or heard anything from them? I remember I think one or two people mentioning it, but my memory is slipping.

And does anyone know if they do on-campus interviews or Skype/Zoom? 

I have. Not sure whether they do interviews at all: according to the "results" page, applicants to Cornell have been directly notified of their admissions/rejections.

I just received a rejection from University of Wisconsin-Madison. I thought that was supposed to be an easy program to get into... I'm going to suspect that their program has zero funding... otherwise I'm worried I have a critically flawed application... Now I have this feeling of doom.

Thank @sgb I’m really sorry to hear. They have a nice program, but they are indeed  seemingly stingy with funding. One of their previous application requirements was to write a 1-3 page essay on how you would survive if they wouldn’t give you funding. You’re better off imo. Best of luck and you’ll have some wonderful picks! 

Edited by MonsieurHonoré

Thank you, @MonsieurHonoré, I hope you're right! Ahaha yes, that particular essay was also a requirement this time and I basically said I can't go unfunded... So that's probably the reason for the rejection. Thanks for your support and let's hope we're all one step closer to finding the right one!

I also haven't heard anything from Yale, but I know getting in there is a long shot... I have other good options too!

Also, to those of you who applied to Yale and didn't hear back yet (thanks for the info you gave already), do you have any idea when the mandatory visiting days are for 2020 ? They haven't updated the website yet from last year. In the off-chance (the very unlikely chance haha) that I were to receive an on-campus invite, I'm trying to plan my MA exam around those days, and the other on-campus invite that I've received.  

9 hours ago, MonsieurHonoré said:

@Robert_Kerans Thanks for the info! When you say you “have,” do you mean you heard back from them with an interview/decision or something or that you applied? If you don’t mind me asking 

I meant that I applied... but in the meantime I also received an e-mail from a professor there and... I was admitted. So no interview. They will send a formal letter in the next couple of days.

4 minutes ago, MonsieurHonoré said:

@Robert_Kerans Congrats!!! Interesting how they do their selection process

I would not worry too much if you haven't heard back from them yet, though. It was a really informal e-mail and I'm sure they will keep reaching out to accepted students in the coming days.

And thank you! Cornell is not my dream university but it's great to feel I secured a position somewhere.

Edited by Robert_Kerans