Civil&Environmental Engineering Fall 2020 Applicants

McHales

Hi all!

Just figured I’d start a thread for us all to freak out together and share notes. I’m an environmental applicant who is applying for the 2nd time. I did this whole deal last year as an MS applicant but decided to take another year and apply straight to PhD. Starting to hear back about some interviews and chats w potential PIs. How are you all doing?

Hey there! I applied to a mixture of engineering/science programs, but the two engineering programs I applied to were Environmental Engineering at Berkeley and Hydrologic Engineering at Colorado School of Mines. My POI at Berkeley has essentially accepted me, we are just figuring out funding. I haven't heard anything from CSM yet.

Hi there, master student @ Stanford CEE, currently applying to PhD at Princeton, PennState, WUSTL, Yale and CMU. Got interviewed from Princeton last week, from PennState this week. Also got a phd invitation from my advisor at Stanford. Happy to answer any MS application questions or questions about transferring to PhD track from MS track at Stanford CEE.

yinxisang, or others in the know: I gather the Stanford CEE open house will be 3/6, will most acceptances be communicated prior to the open house?

Edited by hcvdg

On 1/25/2020 at 9:36 PM, hcvdg said:

yinxisang, or others in the know: I gather the Stanford CEE open house will be 3/6, will most acceptances be communicated prior to the open house?

That’s what happened last year. Don’t know for sure for the other programs, but I’d be pretty surprised if any non-admits were there. You spend a lot of the day w your specific program though, so can’t be sure for anything except A/E

Hi All,

I am applying for PhD program of Civil Engineering (Structural). I applied 16 universities. So far, I have not got any interview chances? Does anyone hear from the department? 

20 hours ago, McHales said:

Has anyone heard when Berkeley’s visit day will be? Not 100% in yet but have strong positives from POI, so hoping it doesn’t clash with another visit day I just got the info for. 

On Berkeley's CEE Admissions website, it says "we do not conduct formal interviews for any of our graduate degrees." Also, I know my POI from Berkeley is going to accept me, but he never mentioned an interview or visit day. 

3 hours ago, Hydrobiogeochemist said:

On Berkeley's CEE Admissions website, it says "we do not conduct formal interviews for any of our graduate degrees." Also, I know my POI from Berkeley is going to accept me, but he never mentioned an interview or visit day. 

Sorry, Hydrobiogeochemist! I wasn’t clear. I know they don’t do formal interviews, but they do have an admit day. I wasn’t able to make it last year, so I want to get a feel for the department overall too. 

3 hours ago, McHales said:

Sorry, Hydrobiogeochemist! I wasn’t clear. I know they don’t do formal interviews, but they do have an admit day. I wasn’t able to make it last year, so I want to get a feel for the department overall too. 

Gotcha gotcha. Yeah universities use a bunch of different terms for those kinds of things, so it can be a little confusing. Now I'm confused as to why my POI hasn't told me about the admit day... oh well :)

CMU CEE grad here. Anyone heard from Yale EnvE? I emailed a professor sometime in November and he said they'd call me for an interview. But I haven't heard from them since. I saw a couple of posts on the results page. Don't know if they're legit. Also, @yinxisang, is your PI at Stanford MM? 

Edited by ceegrad03

37 minutes ago, ceegrad03 said:

CMU CEE grad here. Anyone heard from Yale EnvE? I emailed a professor sometime in November and he said they'd call me for an interview. But I haven't heard from them since. I saw a couple of posts on the results page. Don't know if they're legit. Also, @yinxisang, is your PI at Stanford MM? 

Hi there. I haven't hear from Yale either. Where did you see the 20fall results? I only saw the results for Chemical Engineering but didn't see the results for EnvEng 20fall yet. Sorry didn't quite get what you mean by "MM", my PI is at Stanford CEE.

Edited by yinxisang

8 minutes ago, ceegrad03 said:

I meant are the initials of your PI at Stanford CEE MM. My bad, I wasn't clear enough. 

My PI is not MM but she is a nice professor (If we are talking about the same person). Are you applying to Stanford PhD?  More often EE refers to electrical engineering I think, so hopefully the decision for EnvEng haven't been made yet! 

Edited by yinxisang

2 minutes ago, ceegrad03 said:

I was just curious. I worked with her back in CMU. She's also one of my references. 

I do hope Yale EnvE hasn't sent out any interview invites. Hope for the best. 

I just recalled she used to work in CMU lol. Yeah Let's hope for the best.

On 1/29/2020 at 2:14 AM, otisiul said:

Does Berkeley have an Open House / Visit Day for the MS program? If so, when is it and when do they send invitations?

Just got notified by UCSD of an invitation for their program so wondering if I should expect anything of Berkeley.

Last year I was accepted to masters and they had the Open House on Monday, April 1st. Was invited mid-march

7 hours ago, otisiul said:

If anyone's applied to UC Berkeley, does the line below 'Application Status' say 'Grad 20' ?

Only asking because I swear that 'Grad 20' wasn't there a day ago but might just be going crazy. 

Yeah, mine says that too. It sounds like all of the Berkeley applications have that. Probably just a placeholder :)