Good SOP Examples

While the current cycle's applicants are here, I thought I'd start a thread that can be helpful for those of us yet to apply. 

I'm starting to think about my SOP and I know what it should look like content-wise, but I don't know what it should look like from a style perspective, especially in terms of starting the SOP. Starting with "I would like to apply to PhD programs because ... " seems a little stilted and jarring. Are there any good resources with examples, or focused on what the SOP should look like?

start with you research interest, history of doing research, why you are interested. If you've done research,  describe it maybe. Also talk about the fit with the program. What professors do you want to work with or why is this particular institution will be beneficial to you?

I was told to make the SOP into three parts. What you want to study in grad school (research interests), what you have done to prepare for doctoral study (research experience and undergrad stuff), and why you want to attend this school (department fit). 

the first two sections can really be reused but the third one obviously has to be unique for each school.

Regarding style, I don't think you need to necessarily defend why you want to get a PhD. As others have said, almost all SOPs begin with description of research interests, then move to qualifications (i.e. why you feel prepared to do this research), and then explain why this particular program is a good fit (name a couple faculty members you'd like to work with, various research institutes on campus, etc.). You can put in a sentence or two at the end about how this particular program will help you achieve your career goals (usually that you want to conduct research and teach at a university). 

Here's a really useful compendium of application advice from various people in the field: https://people.fas.harvard.edu/~jkertzer/prospective.html

If you're on academic twitter, profs often retweet useful advice about applications, dissertation writing, the job market, etc. so that's another great resource (also a huge time suck haha) 

5 minutes ago, sobomobo said:

Regarding style, I don't think you need to necessarily defend why you want to get a PhD. 

I was actually told by couple of DGSs themselves that this is one of the parts they look for. Even though you don’t have to write about it for paragraphs long, I think it’s necessary to mention why you want to go for a PhD at first, then you can talk about why that specific program and why those certain faculty.

4 minutes ago, kemalgider said:

I was actually told by couple of DGSs themselves that this is one of the parts they look for. Even though you don’t have to write about it for paragraphs long, I think it’s necessary to mention why you want to go for a PhD at first, then you can talk about why that specific program and why those certain faculty.

Yeah! I more meant that you don't need to use the phrase "I want to get a PhD in Political Science because of X," but instead can just explain how a particular program will help you achieve your career and research goals. 

I structured my SoP as follows: fields I am interested in, which led me to mention in depth my research interests (c. 65% of the whole text). And I ended with how my background and previous studies relate to these interests (I mentioned only what would be actually relevant) and a small paragraph on the school. 

Idk, however, if it is a good way to write since the admissions are not done yet. I had people look over it critically to help me find weak spots like undeveloped ideas that look cool but do not say much actually. 

There are older threads on this forum and some people have posted their SoPs, so you could read them for inspiration.

Edited by ihatedecisions

duke anthro offers samples of successful sops https://culturalanthropology.duke.edu/sites/culturalanthropology.duke.edu/files/file-attachments/2011-2012GradStmts_0.doc 

i like cuny's guide https://www.gc.cuny.edu/CUNY_GC/media/CUNY-Graduate-Center/PDF/Programs/Political Science/Statement_of_Purpose.pdf

just found this, which i feel is a solid template https://ls.berkeley.edu/divisions-and-units/social-sciences/graduate-diversity-office/demystifying-application-process/tips

political scientists love puzzles. i would front load the stmt with some significant puzzle, situate it in one or two literature strains, suggest a novel intervention then demonstrate why you are uniquely qualified to untangle the research question given past research / coursework (describe) / language training / etc. and how you might think through it w a particular school's resources & faculty to support your proposed intervention. end with specific professional aspirations.

an old prof advised me against putting more than one or 1.5 questions / puzzles in the statement or expressing too many research interests. to some committee members, it signals a lack of focus. while i think this is good advice, i ignored this and most adcom wisdom in my statements

Thanks everyone for your input- this is super helpful. To clarify, I'm pretty clear on the content and structure needs but I really wasn't sure how to kick it off and lead into the rest of the SOP. Looks like a sentence quickly summarizing who I am  /  how my research interests developed is best.

3 hours ago, onepersec said:

Thanks everyone for your input- this is super helpful. To clarify, I'm pretty clear on the content and structure needs but I really wasn't sure how to kick it off and lead into the rest of the SOP. Looks like a sentence quickly summarizing who I am  /  how my research interests developed is best.

I sort of have this issue unsually because I can mostly think only about something like "Hello my name is Potato..." lol.

I had different takes, a)anecdote/hook to catch attention (discarded because was too edgy/awkward); b) "Since I was a kid...." (discarded because it made me yawn); c) Straight saying "I am into field XXXX because YYYY". 

I rewrote my SoP 3 or 4 times completely and at the end it sort of crystallized into something I was more or less satisfied with. My conclusion regarding the intro is that I found it easier to write the intro once I had the main body. Then you sort of can pick an intro that best opens your central point.