e-mail from IU?

711fanatic

I got an email from Indiana University HPS today saying that my MA application "reads more like an application for a PhD", and asked whether or not I would like to submit it as a PhD app. Then it says "If the MA is all you want, that's fine. We will be happy to admit you for that, but we won't be able to offer you any funding." 

Should I be excited about this, or is the "we will be happy to admit you for that" line just a hypothetical?

The fact that your app "reads more like an application for a PhD" suggests that it's impressive—so impressive that (it seems to me like they're implying that) there's a high likelihood that they would accept you to their PhD program if you wrote back that you would like to submit it as a PhD app. (The "we will be happy to admit you for that" sounds like they almost certainly will accept you to the MA program.)

Also, there seems (to me at least—maybe I'm not thinking of a factor here) to be no downside whatsoever to taking them up on the offer to submit it as a PhD app. You'll get funding; you can leave after just getting your MA qualifications if you're pretty sure you don't want to stay on for a PhD; you have the opportunity to stay on for the PhD if you end up wanting to do that (do you know now that you don't want to get a PhD?); even if they don't accept you for the PhD, it sounds like you've got the MA pretty much in the bag. Anyway, the main point is that they will give you money that you wouldn't get as a MA student if you got in to the PhD program.

Of course, this is just my impression (given the information you've given). But, if I were you, I would be excited—very excited. That's pretty awesome that you got the admissions committee to be so enthusiastic about your potential. 

Are they offering to consider it as a PhD app this year? Or suggesting that you re-apply next because they think you'd have a strong PhD application?

The latter happened to me a few years back at NYU, and they ended up not accepting me the next year (much to my bewilderment; the person who told me kind of made it sound like I was a shoe-in, to the extent that anybody can be at NYU). So I would caution you not to put too much stock in what they say, if what they mean is that you should re-apply next year. Someone else could be the DGA, or your POI could have too many grad students already, or there may be less money available, or the department building could collapse, or anything else. 

Edited by Coconuts&Chloroform

Thank you all for the information! I will remain (cautiously) buzzing with excitement :) 

38 minutes ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Are they offering to consider it as a PhD app this year? Or suggesting that you re-apply next because they think you'd have a strong PhD application?

The latter happened to me a few years back at NYU, and they ended up not accepting me the next year (much to my bewilderment; the person who told me kind of made it sound like I was a shoe-in, to the extent that anybody can be at NYU). So I would caution you not to put too much stock in what they say, if what they mean is that you should re-apply next year. Someone else could be the DGA, or your POI could have too many grad students already, or there may be less money available, or the department building could collapse, or anything else. 

They are offering to consider it this year, not next year. That NYU situation sounds very upsetting :( If I were on an admissions committee, I would want to do everything in my power not to mislead applicants.

Like energeia said, I read this as "if you submit it as a PhD application and you're accepted*, you'll get funding."

* You'll very likely be accepted.

The alternatively, an unfunded MA, is likely untenable, anyway unless you have the money to support yourself and pay tuition. I don't see a downside to responding very quickly that you'd like it to be considered for a PhD, and then make the decision whether to stop at the MA (and transfer elsewhere) at that time.

2 minutes ago, 711fanatic said:

Thank you all for the information! I will remain (cautiously) buzzing with excitement :) 

They are offering to consider it this year, not next year. That NYU situation sounds very upsetting :( If I were on an admissions committee, I would want to do everything in my power not to mislead applicants.

It was frustrating, but I may have misread it. That said, it sounded pretty "We can't guarantee anything, but..." to me.

If they're offering to consider it, go for it! There's nothing to lose, and they probably wouldn't say that unless they thought they'd be likely to accept you.