Georgetown (McCourt) MPP 2020

ludile_gia

Yes, McCourt has some notable strengths, but there are lots and lots of down sides too. I recommend you weigh them carefully and read the reviews of current / recent students (who are speaking honestly about it). 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

4 minutes ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Yes, McCourt has some notable strengths, but there are lots and lots of down sides too. I recommend you weigh them carefully and read the reviews of current / recent students (who are speaking honestly about it). 

I decided to apply after hearing good things about it from an undergraduate friend currently in their MPP-Data Analysis program, but I haven't talked much to actual students in the MPP. Do you mind sharing some specifics? 

On 2/21/2020 at 5:00 PM, ludile_gia said:

I decided to apply after hearing good things about it from an undergraduate friend currently in their MPP-Data Analysis program, but I haven't talked much to actual students in the MPP. Do you mind sharing some specifics? 

The MS-DSPP is a new program and it is a joint program owned by the McCourt school but in partnership with the Data Analytics program. Generally speaking, the people I know from there have had a good experience too. However, they have the benefits of being in a really high demand field and in IMO, more innovative + in tune with real world program managers. 

As to the MPP, here is a good review that sums up a lot: 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mccourt-school-of-public-policy-washington?osq=mccourt+school

Bottom Line - you learn good skills and have great exposure. However, the culture is pretty terrible. This isn't a place where you peers push you to be stronger and help you do great things. This is place where people settle and become okay with being "good enough", however each person defines it. 

There is a reason why I don't push my company to hire from MPP grads, but will gladly go to bat for a Georgetown Undergrad or SFS grad. 

4 hours ago, CellucciK said:

Does anyone know what the MIDP program is like?

Hopefully, someone in the MIDP program or recent alum can give better insight. Until then I'll provide some as someone from a sister program. 

1. Unlike MPP, I found nearly every MIDP program student to be very focused and generally aware of what they were interested in and had some sort of a vision of how they wanted to shape development. This naturally comes with the territory of a very focused program. I also found the average MIDP student to be generally more impressive than the average MPP student (totally subjective - but putting my two cents out there).

2. The program is also really small. I don't think it has ever been bigger than 20 something per year, and has been at the teens before. Natural pros and cons come with that. I will say that by nature of the topic, it had much more diverse international student population than MPP, taking into account program size and etc. 

3. I really liked the program manager - Dr. Franck Wiebe as a professor. Most people I knew were decent fans of him, but many also have noted that they he has a particular brand of international development that he likes his students to subscribe to. 

4. MIDP is very quant focused

5. One thing to note is that MIDP is merging or attempting to merge with the School of Foreign Services' Global Health and Development. I view it as generally positive thing. I'm sure people can debate the pros and cons about it in detail. 

I got into the MIDP program with some money but lowest of all the schools so far... probably will decline based on poor financial aid offer. If anyone knows what Georgetown’s renegotiation process is I would appreciate more info on it but given how disappointing my current package is compared to other schools I don’t see this in my future. 

17 hours ago, mpp.hopeful said:

@su1234, @starfruit, @ludile_gia and @bijinkei

Do you mean per semester instead of per year? My scholarship offer was listed as per semester.

Anyone know if these are renewable?

12 hours ago, sgr2020 said:

Into the MPP as well! Also curious about if the scholarship is renewable or not- that makes a huge difference! 

Quoting the GU website: "Detailed award letters are distributed once every academic year. Only one year of award information is provided at a time. Continuation and renewal of awards are contingent upon satisfactory progress towards the degree as determined by the academic program and the Graduate School. Students should speak with their academic programs about specific merit criteria and the possibility of renewing awards for a future semester or year."

So yes, it is renewable!

19 hours ago, starfruit said:

Quoting the GU website: "Detailed award letters are distributed once every academic year. Only one year of award information is provided at a time. Continuation and renewal of awards are contingent upon satisfactory progress towards the degree as determined by the academic program and the Graduate School. Students should speak with their academic programs about specific merit criteria and the possibility of renewing awards for a future semester or year."

So yes, it is renewable!

Emphasis on "renewable". You basically have to maintain above a 3.0 GPA and be in good standing, which generally isn't too difficult. That being said, about 2 to 3 people fail out / transfer / or quit the program every year. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Question for people considering or applying to McCourt - I have gotten into every International Affairs program I've applied to thus far but (surprisingly) got denied from MSFS (surprising for a number of reasons I'd be happy to discuss over PM). Considering sending in an application for McCourt but I didn't take the GRE so I'd be applying with an LSAT and not much quant training (minus an Econ fellowship). Any advice - worth applying? 

9 hours ago, rubyrosey2626 said:

Question for people considering or applying to McCourt - I have gotten into every International Affairs program I've applied to thus far but (surprisingly) got denied from MSFS (surprising for a number of reasons I'd be happy to discuss over PM). Considering sending in an application for McCourt but I didn't take the GRE so I'd be applying with an LSAT and not much quant training (minus an Econ fellowship). Any advice - worth applying? 

MSFS is just insanely hard to get into because the competition is so stiff. I know people who got into top 20 MBAs, but didn't get into MSFS. 

I personally know people that got into McCourt with LSAT (you just have to be up front with them and ask for an exception). I am assuming they haven't changed the policy in the past 3 years. HOWEVER... my recommendation is to not go to McCourt if you are interested in international relations, unless you are really focused on program analysis (with a data focus) or international development from a bit of data based program analysis / management perspective. Feel free to DM me to explain more.