CALLING ALL MIR/MHRM/MIRHR FALL 2020 APPLICANTS (Canada)

SmallBean

Hello friends, 

I couldn't find any such post related to graduate programs in Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations so I decided I'd start one. 

I've applied to: Queen's MIR, UofT MIRHR, YorkU MHRM, and UoRegina MHRM. Status pending for all. 

Fellow applicants, we can share our excitement, anxieties, frustrations, and questions in this thread! Goodluck to everyone

Thanks for starting this discussion! 

I only applied for the UofT MIRHR 2 year stream this year - but I'll definitely consider applying for Queen's MIR, YorkU MHRM, and UoRegina MHRM next year (if I'm not successful with my UofT application). Good for you for applying to all these programs! It would have taken a considerable amount of time and energy, so even just applying to these programs is a huge accomplishment.

How did you find the application processes for these other programs, compared to the MIRHR application? As well, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of background did you have going into these applications? I have a Bachelor of Commerce and two years' HR experience, but my GPA wasn't very strong (B+ in third year and A- in last year) which is really my main concern. 

Best of luck to everyone still working through their applications! 

Hi! Thanks for joining the discussion. It was certainly a very tiring process applying to all these programs, I underestimated the amount of effort it takes to gather all supporting documentation. 

The application processes are mostly similar for all programs, basically the same requirements for all. I graduated with a degree in Psychology, undergrad GPA about 3.5 in the final 2 years combined and 3.8 in the last year. @allyvs132 I think your GPA is still competitive for these programs - combined with professional experience it sounds like you have a strong application!

@kchen It's unlikely that anyone will have heard back yet from UofT MIRHR. The program deadline is on March 1st so they will likely begin making decisions at least a few weeks after this. 

Good-luck to all!

Edited by SmallBean

Thank you @SmallBeanfor the clarification. It was just I saw somewhere on the website saying the admission committee starts meeting in January or sth. :)

Do you mind sharing the date when you submitted the application? and approximately when the status changed to "under review"? Thanks!!

Thanks @SmallBean for sharing your background! It sounds like you are in great shape to receive a few acceptances! Even if it was a lot of work applying to these schools, it will pay off when you get to choose which school you're most interested in attending! And yes here's hoping my grades will make the cut :) 

Hey @kchen - I was told by the admissions office in December that the admission committee starts meeting mid-January so I SCRAMBLED to get my references to submit their documents in time for mid-January. Once they had attached their documents in early January, my status changed to 'under review' and has been so since then. I think this is just the standard message that displays once all the documents have been attached, and the admissions office can track them as received. Unfortunately, I wouldn't take it as anything other than a notification stating they have received your full application. 

The admissions office told me to reach out to them if I haven't heard anything by end of April, so I recommend you do the same if this is the case with you! I've been searching similar forums from previous years and can't find any proof of acceptances prior to April ... but you never know! I'd say expect to hear back mid-late April, and if you hear back earlier then that's great!

On 2/21/2020 at 11:47 PM, SmallBean said:

Hello friends, 

I couldn't find any such post related to graduate programs in Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations so I decided I'd start one. 

I've applied to: Queen's MIR, UofT MIRHR, YorkU MHRM, and UoRegina MHRM. Status pending for all. 

Fellow applicants, we can share our excitement, anxieties, frustrations, and questions in this thread! Goodluck to everyone

I’ve been waiting for someone to start this thread, thank you!!

19 minutes ago, allyvs132 said:

Congrats @kchen!! You earned it! So happy to hear you got in ? 

Did you hear via phone, letter, or through the SGS Admissions page?

Thanks! I got an email from admissions.

I think since the application deadline has just passed on 3/1, more offers will definitely come in mid or late March.

I really hope the best of luck to all of you!

4 minutes ago, kchen said:

Thanks! I got an email from admissions.

I think since the application deadline has just passed on 3/1, more offers will definitely come in mid or late March.

I really hope the best of luck to all of you!

Yayay so awesome!! Go celebrate, and go kill it in Toronto this Fall!! 

46 minutes ago, allyvs132 said:

Yayay so awesome!! Go celebrate, and go kill it in Toronto this Fall!! 

Thanks!! I'm still thinking about if I'll attend or not. Something personal has come up, which has made the decision very difficult.

However, I'm definitely thrilled about the acceptance! And I truly hope you'll all hear good news very soon!!

8 minutes ago, kchen said:

Umm.. Never used percentage in my school either lol. sounds about right though..

So interesting how all the schools are so different!

Regardless congrats!

Fingers crossed I get my result soon.

24 minutes ago, kchen said:

Thanks!! I'm still thinking about if I'll attend or not. Something personal has come up, which has made the decision very difficult.

However, I'm definitely thrilled about the acceptance! And I truly hope you'll all hear good news very soon!!

Of course, do what you need to do in order to determine the right step for you! It is a big decision for sure with so many factors involved - I know that if I get in I'll have to make a lot of hard decisions upfront (moving my life from BC to Toronto sounds logistically messy). Maybe waiting for a reply isn't so bad now after all ? haha but for reals, if you ever want to talk send me a message! I am just a rando from the internet but in some ways we do have a lot in common too. Regardless - best of luck in your decision making!