CMU Heinz 2020

HelloItsMe

5 hours ago, woolscarves said:

Good luck everyone! Current PPM-DA student and happy to answer any questions people have as this board was immensely useful to me during the process last year.

Thank you! Awaiting my results for the same program. How generous is Heinz with aid, and what factors influence the funding decision the most? Also, when does Heinz usually send out the admission decisions?

I received an email to check the portal yesterday and got in as well with $$$!

10 hours ago, woolscarves said:

Good luck everyone! Current PPM-DA student and happy to answer any questions people have as this board was immensely useful to me during the process last year.

When is the best time to look for housing?

5 hours ago, policywonk12 said:

Thank you! Awaiting my results for the same program. How generous is Heinz with aid, and what factors influence the funding decision the most? Also, when does Heinz usually send out the admission decisions?

Funding was fairly generous for me. I received my funding information in the portal at the same time that I received my admissions decision.

While I don't know for sure what the most important factors were, based on fellow students and looking at GradCafe posts from previous years, I would say the factors in order of rough importance are:

1. the number of years of quality work experience that you have
  2. GRE score
  3. GPA & quality of undergraduate institution

So, really not much different from the factors that go into the admissions decision to begin with.

10 minutes ago, HelloItsMe said:

I received an email to check the portal yesterday and got in as well with $$$!

When is the best time to look for housing?

Congratulations!!! Hope to see you here in the fall.

I attended admitted students weekend in early April and met a couple of friends that I ended up deciding to room with. We started looking for housing in ~mid-May and signed in late May/early June. I'd say you can start looking for a place anytime as long as it's before mid-June. What actually seemed to be the more difficult task was finding roommates (if that's something that you plan on doing). There are plenty of options, but it can take some time to find someone that wants to live in the same area as you, has the same budget, etc. and so getting an earlier start on that is most important IMO.

3 hours ago, woolscarves said:

Congratulations!!! Hope to see you here in the fall.

I attended admitted students weekend in early April and met a couple of friends that I ended up deciding to room with. We started looking for housing in ~mid-May and signed in late May/early June. I'd say you can start looking for a place anytime as long as it's before mid-June. What actually seemed to be the more difficult task was finding roommates (if that's something that you plan on doing). There are plenty of options, but it can take some time to find someone that wants to live in the same area as you, has the same budget, etc. and so getting an earlier start on that is most important IMO.

Thank you for the advice. I know Heinz has a housing brochure, but in your opinion what are the best neighborhoods to live in based on accessibility to school and shops nearby?

9 hours ago, zissel said:

Randomly checked my portal yesterday and I got in!

Congratulations!  Just curious, did you go to the usual admissions portal (the same one where you admitted your application) or to some different webpage?  I've been refreshing my portal constantly, but now I'm not sure if I'm even looking at the right link.  I remember that the other schools I heard back from sent a separate link for viewing your results.

10 hours ago, tacos95 said:

I got an email notification this afternoon telling me my status had been updated. Accepted with 55% funding! Happy to add another data point for those waiting still.

Are you people talking about MS-PPMDA?

22 hours ago, HelloItsMe said:

Thank you for the advice. I know Heinz has a housing brochure, but in your opinion what are the best neighborhoods to live in based on accessibility to school and shops nearby?

Most students live in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. Shadyside is definitely the "trendiest" place (lots of good bars, restaurants, but also the Pittsburgh Apple store and a Lulu Lemon shop). Squirrel Hill is a bit more local and residential (not as many bars, but lots of good restaurants and cafes, etc). You'll pay a bit of a premium to live in those locations and it can be a bit of a pain to catch the bus to campus since so many CMU students live on these routes. Other good options are places like Oakland and Liberty (or Greenfield, where I live). There are fewer CMU students in these places, but they're really affordable and it's not too hard to get to Shadyside if you're looking to meet up with friends.

All in all, I think the housing brochure that you mentioned (located here for others looking to find it) really does a good job of laying it out. Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are probably the most interesting places to live, but you pay the cost (especially if you're not living with a roommate). If you have specific locations or anything that you want feedback on when you start to look, feel free to DM me and I'm happy to give me my thoughts.

20 hours ago, lime_in_the_coconut said:

Congratulations!  Just curious, did you go to the usual admissions portal (the same one where you admitted your application) or to some different webpage?  I've been refreshing my portal constantly, but now I'm not sure if I'm even looking at the right link.  I remember that the other schools I heard back from sent a separate link for viewing your results.

Yes it was the usual admissions portal and just now has something at the top called "Status Update" right above "Application Checklist". Then when I clicked on the "Status Update" link it took me to a page saying I got in and scholarship info. I weirdly didn't get an email or anything first but it looks like some other people did so not sure what's up with that.

I applied to the MSPPM-DA program if that helps. 

3 hours ago, ax062320 said:

Just heard back from MSPPM-DA this afternoon. Looking for offer holder group :) 

Congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear back ? Do you mind sharing by when all your materials got in?

6 hours ago, aykerigma said:

hi everyone! I got an email today and got in. :) I applied to the data analytics track, but they offered me a place in the MSPPM program with aid.  

Congrats! Just wondering if you know any offer holder groups on fb?

On 3/4/2020 at 12:41 AM, noodlesoup said:

Congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear back ? Do you mind sharing by when all your materials got in?

Thanks! You mean timeline? I submitted my application on Jan 10 and video interview on Feb 14. Hope that helps!

15 hours ago, lime_in_the_coconut said:

I still haven't heard back.  I don't know if this means that I am rejected/waitlisted or if they haven't made a decision about my application yet.  Does anyone know if they've sent out rejection letters?

Me as well. I submitted my app on Jan 9th, but it wasn't complete until Feb 18th. Someone who had the same timeline with mine last year got the admission on March 20th. So maybe we can wait... and pray lol.

7 hours ago, YVEYuezy_529 said:

Me as well. I submitted my app on Jan 9th, but it wasn't complete until Feb 18th. Someone who had the same timeline with mine last year got the admission on March 20th. So maybe we can wait... and pray lol.

How can you tell when your application was complete?  It says that my application was submitted on January 10 and that the video interview was received on January 15 (all other materials were received even before then).  Does that mean that my application was officially complete on January 15?

17 hours ago, lime_in_the_coconut said:

How can you tell when your application was complete?  It says that my application was submitted on January 10 and that the video interview was received on January 15 (all other materials were received even before then).  Does that mean that my application was officially complete on January 15?

When the app is complete, the system would say "Your application is now complete for review by the admissions committee."

And yes, I guess Jan 15th was the date that your app was officially complete. It took time for the AO to check your transcript, etc.