• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Derler said:

@Dann Batoon Hi Dann, thank you for starting the discussion! I am applying for the intercultural communication program MSEd this year, still anxiously waiting for the result to come out. Which program did you apply?

Hi again, Derler! Don't be anxious. Attend webinars and ask your program coordinator about your program for preparation. The members of the Penn GSE community are approachable. And they explain inquiries clearly. 

7 hours ago, Dann Batoon said:

Hi again, Derler! Don't be anxious. Attend webinars and ask your program coordinator about your program for preparation. The members of the Penn GSE community are approachable. And they explain inquiries clearly. 

Thank you Dann! Fingers crossed for both of us! Hope we’ll see each other at UPenn !

9 hours ago, Derler said:

@Dann Batoon What an excitement, right after I replied to your last message I received the offer! ?

I always forget to quote. ? I sent my greetings earlier. Do you think I need to establish my LinkedIn account? I am wary of my privacy. Please share some tips, Derler. Thank you! ? 

10 hours ago, thankyouforbreathing said:

Just heard back via email - accepted TESOL M.S.Ed!

Congratulations Pat! I saw your name on your LinkedIn. Did you see my question for Derler? What do you think? Thank you!

Oh, yes! When did you apply? ?

9 minutes ago, Dann Batoon said:

Congratulations Pat! I saw your name on your LinkedIn. Did you see my question for Derler? What do you think? Thank you!

Oh, yes! When did you apply? ?

About making a Linkedin? I've had it for a while (since 2012, I think?) , and I'm pretty open about my online presence in general. I just like having all my professional credentials in one, easy-to-reference place. But that's just me.

I sent in all my applications from January 5th - 15th.

6 minutes ago, thankyouforbreathing said:

About making a Linkedin? I've had it for a while (since 2012, I think?) , and I'm pretty open about my online presence in general. I just like having all my professional credentials in one, easy-to-reference place. But that's just me.

I am still in college. And when I interned and volunteered in the last few terms, I just sent my resume. I will sort out what I did so I can present it online. 
I completed my application on February 21 this year. I waited for WES to evaluate my credentials. And it was faster than I expected. 
There is another public discussion for Penn GSE TESOL. I think they need an update from you, Pat. 
Thank you for replying! Oh wait, can I call you, Pat?

8 minutes ago, thankyouforbreathing said:

Here is the link. People asked about TESOL last week. ? 

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/122096-upenn-gse-msed-fall2020/

3 hours ago, Dann Batoon said:

I always forget to quote. ? I sent my greetings earlier. Do you think I need to establish my LinkedIn account? I am wary of my privacy. Please share some tips, Derler. Thank you! ? 

Hey Dann,

I applied before the priority deadline for my program which was Feb 1. As for LinkedIn, I do have an account but it’s not that up to date, for me I am not yet really on that website since I have just graduated from college and LinkedIn seems to me is more of a career/job oriented platform. However if you want to start looking for professional connections it might be a good place to start.

1 hour ago, Derler said:

Hey Dann,

I applied before the priority deadline for my program which was Feb 1. As for LinkedIn, I do have an account but it’s not that up to date, for me I am not yet really on that website since I have just graduated from college and LinkedIn seems to me is more of a career/job oriented platform. However if you want to start looking for professional connections it might be a good place to start.

Hi, Derler! So, you also just graduated from college. Me too! I mean, I will graduate this August. I hope my university will not delay it because of class suspensions due to COVID-19. Although, I will ask my research mentor if I can get my grade earlier so I can give my full credentials right away.

May I ask what you did in college? Did you take up the GRE or the GMAT? Thank you!

On 3/9/2020 at 11:28 PM, Dann said:

I am still in college. And when I interned and volunteered in the last few terms, I just sent my resume. I will sort out what I did so I can present it online. 
I completed my application on February 21 this year. I waited for WES to evaluate my credentials. And it was faster than I expected. 
There is another public discussion for Penn GSE TESOL. I think they need an update from you, Pat. 
Thank you for replying! Oh wait, can I call you, Pat?

Patricia is fine :) 

Yeah, your Linkedin profile isn't really too different from your resume; there are a few additional features where you can upload links to writing samples and portfolio items. I think more people use it for networking/article sharing (though to be honest, I don't do much of either, ha).

Will crosspost there!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 7/3/2020 at 3:43 PM, RizzleSizzle said:

OMG Congratulations! Can you give some tips as to how did you get in? 

Hi all,

Congrats to all those who've been admitted!

I was 3/3 admit as Harvard/Stanford/Upenn, and glad to support all of you in this process in any way that's helpful. People are always looking for tips about how to get in, so I thought I'd offer one: "Write" your letters of recommendation without actually writing them. When you ask someone to write you a letter, you are hoping that 1) the person that you've asked is a great writer and 2) that they highlight some aspect of your story that will make you desirable for the schools to which you apply. You have no control over their writing ability, and I assume you wouldn't ask them if you weren't confident that they were a solid writer( I had an experience where I asked a professor that I loved to write a letter for a lower-stakes fellowship and the letter he sent was full of typos and poorly written! The Horror!). You do, however, have some control over what they highlight about you. My letter writers asked for a resume, and I provided it , but I also gave them bullet points about things that I hope they'd mention, for each school. This way, I didn't feel so bad asking a person to write me three different letters for three different programs, because I gave them additional support in doing so. These schools want to know you, and also know what you've done that might interest them. Supporting your letter writers in differentiating is helpful. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Again, congrats to admits, and best of luck to those future-applicants!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/18/2020 at 1:30 AM, EvolvedGradBlog said:

That was so good! Do you might share you stats? I almost applying for the same colleges with you.

Hi all,

Congrats to all those who've been admitted!

I was 3/3 admit as Harvard/Stanford/Upenn, and glad to support all of you in this process in any way that's helpful. People are always looking for tips about how to get in, so I thought I'd offer one: "Write" your letters of recommendation without actually writing them. When you ask someone to write you a letter, you are hoping that 1) the person that you've asked is a great writer and 2) that they highlight some aspect of your story that will make you desirable for the schools to which you apply. You have no control over their writing ability, and I assume you wouldn't ask them if you weren't confident that they were a solid writer( I had an experience where I asked a professor that I loved to write a letter for a lower-stakes fellowship and the letter he sent was full of typos and poorly written! The Horror!). You do, however, have some control over what they highlight about you. My letter writers asked for a resume, and I provided it , but I also gave them bullet points about things that I hope they'd mention, for each school. This way, I didn't feel so bad asking a person to write me three different letters for three different programs, because I gave them additional support in doing so. These schools want to know you, and also know what you've done that might interest them. Supporting your letter writers in differentiating is helpful. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Again, congrats to admits, and best of luck to those future-applicants!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2020 at 11:19 AM, thankyouforbreathing said:

Just heard back via email - accepted TESOL M.S.Ed!

Can you shed some light on your background.  Applying for similar programs this time around. Any information would be appreciated. 

• 2 months later...