COVID-19 and the GRE?

GoodBean

Hello, I hope everyone is staying safe and practicing good health measures! I recently had my GRE test canceled due to the recent testing center closures over COVID-19 (I was refunded thankfully).

There is the option to do the test at home now,  which I am slightly worried about given the "busyness" to put it lightly, of my household. Before the outbreak, I largely studied at the library to avoid at-home distractions. My home has since gotten even more busy due to my area being on lockdown. Given the unpredictableness of how long these closures will last, does anyone have any advice? I was planning on applying for the Fall 21 cycle. I have heavy classes and a work schedule this upcoming summer and fall semester, which is why I decided to study and take it this semester, even taking necessary time off work. I've also  noticed some people have mentioned schools might be offering waivers for the GRE/GMAT due to the testing centers closing?

Thank you for your help,

Stay safe

I assume that many, if not most, programs will waive standardized testing requirements for the Fall 2021 cycle, especially given that the remote GRE test that available at home is only available to Windows users and does not support Macintosh operating systems.  However, I worry about a lack of funding and decreased admission rates for PhD programs for this cycle, given the uncertainty of the economy.  I'm applying for Fall 2021 Neuroscience PhD programs, so I'm hoping for the best.

• 1 month later...

For me, I think its a good thing to do the test at home. It's an environment that is much more familiar, and using my fast laptop beats the old 10 year old desktops at the test centers by miles.

That being said, perhaps you can try doing the test in the wee hours of the morning while the rest of your family are asleep for the best results?

• 1 month later...

Personally, I prefer the test center to my home. I don't want to deal with the internet connection, minor issues, or something that could go wrong with ProctorU/camera, which might distract me from the test itself. (I don't know. But I'm just nervous.)

If the test center still operates, I will choose that option.

I'm also applying for the 2021 cycle too.

Best of luck. It's surely a tough year. ? 

I'm having similar concerns with GRE subject tests. My test was cancelled. We were told that slots for September would be announced in April, but that never happened. There's been no update. And, subject tests haven't been made available. I know it's a confusing time for all, but ETS really hasn't been helpful! I wrote to them at one point, and they responded two weeks later with a stock email. It's quite nerve-wracking! One of my top programs requires this subject test, and they haven't announced the intention to waive requirements yet. 

I also don't know if I should be studying right now (so I haven't been... lol). 

Edited by RebeccaPsych

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 6:14 PM, RebeccaPsych said:

I'm having similar concerns with GRE subject tests. My test was cancelled. We were told that slots for September would be announced in April, but that never happened. There's been no update. And, subject tests haven't been made available. I know it's a confusing time for all, but ETS really hasn't been helpful! I wrote to them at one point, and they responded two weeks later with a stock email. It's quite nerve-wracking! One of my top programs requires this subject test, and they haven't announced the intention to waive requirements yet. 

You should! It's the best way to make use of the "time extension" ?

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 1:14 PM, RebeccaPsych said:

Most programs are dropping their standardized test requirements. It would be foolish for the testing centers to open now and for schools to depend on home testing tactics  

Plus, with all the issues I’ve been reading about with the home version and it only being able to work on windows, I don’t see how they can not make it at least optional. Schools have been ditching it throughout the years anyway so I predict within the next few years we’ll see more and more schools getting rid of it until very few my require it. 

On 3/27/2020 at 6:56 PM, dopamine_machine said:

I assume that many, if not most, programs will waive standardized testing requirements for the Fall 2021 cycle, especially given that the remote GRE test that available at home is only available to Windows users and does not support Macintosh operating systems.  However, I worry about a lack of funding and decreased admission rates for PhD programs for this cycle, given the uncertainty of the economy.  I'm applying for Fall 2021 Neuroscience PhD programs, so I'm hoping for the best.

Are you sure about this? I heard the GRE is administered via ProctorU and I have taken tests with ProctorU many times in the past using my Mac. If this is true, though, it is such great news ;)

Same here, I haven't been studying and I have been holding off buying a membership on Magoosh waiting to see if my top program waives it ;)

8 hours ago, artyanimal said:

Are you sure about this? I heard the GRE is administered via ProctorU and I have taken tests with ProctorU many times in the past using my Mac. If this is true, though, it is such great news ;)

I'm not actually sure! I know all of my programs that previously required GRE have permanently waived it as a requirement, but Biology programs were on track to get rid of GRE requirements anyways.  I haven't been reading too much into Art History PhD programs but I would monitor them closely, as it is definitely a possibility.  I ended up taking the GRE just to be safe though and if you are for sure applying this cycle, I recommend you do the same just to ensure that you have it as a back-up if programs you apply to end up requiring it.

• 5 weeks later...

Subject tests have been canceled until April 2021 ( https://www.ets.org/s/cv/gre/the-americas/ ). I would hope programs waive them for the coming cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I am  sure about this, off course  GRE is administered via Proctor U and  if you  have taken tests with Proctor U many times in the past using my Mac. this is  a good news that  it is completely accepted. I would like to suggests  if  you  are preparing for GRE you can choose the platform like preped for more better result.