Pass-Fail or Grade Letters for Final Transcripts?

bragierrnot

Question

Hello, i'm an undergrad student at UMD that's already been accepted to grad school for next fall. Due to COVID-19 they have announced this semesters grades will be graded pass/fail unless students elect to receive earned grades for the courses. Should I elect for letter grades since I still have to send my final transcripts?. It will show I've earned my degree either way .

4 answers to this question

I don't think it will matter, in particular as it is school-wide and will be easy to verify.  If needed, you could most likely ask your current profs to calculate a grade for you.  

You should reach out to the program you were accepted to. My friends and I are in the same boat, and the responses we've gotten are:

• Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit doesn't matter as long as you get your degree
  • P/F or CR/NC is acceptable but prerequisite (ie, biochemistry for a bioengineering program) classes require a letter grade (or you have to retake the class in grad school)
  • P/F or CR/NC is acceptable but they require your letter grade (prior to taking the pass/credit) to be above a certain threshold (ie, B- or above for one school)

Programs are pretty understanding of the situation, so you should be fine. However, just to be safe/certain reach out to your program director and ask what they require. They'll be super understanding of your question.