2010 Stanford Civil & Environmental Admits

s1u8n

No, I don't have funding yet.

Have you filled out the form for student ID card?

Where are you planning to stay?

No, I have not filled up the student ID Card yet...

I'm planning to stay off campus... somewhere near Oakland or SF... I need to be near Berkeley since my wife will start her PhD there... so I have to commute to Stanford :P

guess I must download some thousands podcasts for all the hours of commuting :P

I tip for every one... star filling up the health forms... it has tons of information to recolect...

best!

anyone got information on domestic student orientation? I guess I'll go along with the international orientation week haha. what is this health form you speak of Rich? is it to apply for the health insurance? They told me to get an ID card the first week of school. I'm going to live off campus, near the campus, my girlfriend is moving in with me, and we only have 1 car.

anyone got information on domestic student orientation? I guess I'll go along with the international orientation week haha. what is this health form you speak of Rich? is it to apply for the health insurance? They told me to get an ID card the first week of school. I'm going to live off campus, near the campus, my girlfriend is moving in with me, and we only have 1 car.

One of the items of the new student check list is: "July 31: Deadline to submit entrance medical requirements" with a link to the Vaden Health Center...

There one must complete your online entrance medical requirements forms...

The Stanford ID Card must be sent before September 1st (the photo and basic info)...but the link of the check list is wrong...

use this one https://itservices.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/2010/04/12/signup_form.pdf

Its already April 22, haven't heard anything back from CEM admissions yet ... starting to give up sad.gif

Anyone else who are still waiting for a reply from CEM?

at this point, you should call them. hopefully your admission letter just got lost in the mail, or you're on a waiting list.

Will an email be sent to you informing you that your are accepted to the CEM program? or the notification will come together with the packet they send?

At this point, I think they would email you, but its alwz better to give dem a call, n knw ur status....

I accepted the stanford's admission offer to MS in structural engineering. I have still not received any packet from stanford. As the postal service is unreliable in my area, and it is possible that our elderly complacent postman misplaced my letter, I asked the department to send me an email about my acceptance so that I could take necessary actions.

I was told that it might not be possible to receive a reply regarding funding before April 15; and hence, I had to accept the offer without knowing my prospects of funding.

I hope Stanford is as rich as s1u8n pointed out, and it provides me some sort of funding.

My Axess To Do list is empty.

I was going through graduate housing in Stanford and the costs are pretty steep. How can I look for housing facilities around stanford. I know stanford is located around Palo Alto, but what other areas can I look for for housing. I can't visit the place before the term starts, so it will be pretty difficult to get a good deal sitting here in India. But, if someone can suggest some websites or other sources, the help will be really appreciated.

BTW, When does the term start? September first week or earlier?

Where are you from ? I also did not get the package yet. I accepted the admission to MS in structural engineering

Anyone still waiting on a reply from CEM? The last I checked with the department, they said that with so many applicants this year, they already had the cut-off at 3.9/4.0 GPA.... I'm like.. "Are you serious ?!?!?"

I didn't know they use a GPA cut-off... 3.9 sounds extremely competitive.

I received a letter from Prof Law saying I won't get any funding. For those who got funding, how many classes were you planning to take per quarter? Also I'll be living in Escondido housing with a friend, moving in Sept 11th. I hope things are going well for everyone else.

I didn't know they use a GPA cut-off... 3.9 sounds extremely competitive.

I received a letter from Prof Law saying I won't get any funding. For those who got funding, how many classes were you planning to take per quarter? Also I'll be living in Escondido housing with a friend, moving in Sept 11th. I hope things are going well for everyone else.

Did you receive an email or snail mail regarding funding? When did you receive it?

Have you applied for Escondido housing in the lottery or have you already been assigned Escondido?

Did you receive an email or snail mail regarding funding? When did you receive it?

Have you applied for Escondido housing in the lottery or have you already been assigned Escondido?

I received it via snail mail, the letter was dated May 4th. It said "available fellowships and assistantships have been accepted by applicants in the first round of financial aid offers." I guess there's no money for "2nd rounders". Since I don't get funding, I do plan on getting a part time job, or take more classes.

I sent in the application for housing. My friend has priority so I will get exempted from lottery and just room with him.

On a side note, I applied to 50 internships for the summer using the Stanford email, and nothing. Although firms are more courteous and they reply to your inquiry lol. Alot of engineers told me things are likely to stay this way for 2-3 more years. What's a good plan B other than going for a PhD (god forsake if they don't fund some PhD students)?

• 2 weeks later...

No, I have not filled up the student ID Card yet...

I'm planning to stay off campus... somewhere near Oakland or SF... I need to be near Berkeley since my wife will start her PhD there... so I have to commute to Stanford :P

guess I must download some thousands podcasts for all the hours of commuting :P

I suggest San Francisco over Oakland. You do not want to battle traffic on the Nimitz Freeway or the Bay Bridge/101 everyday. Best route to Stanford from San Francisco is Interstate 280- it's like a racetrack. CalTrain from San Francisco to Palo Alto is another option. I'd go that route so you can get some reading done during the commute. Express trains make the trip in 35 minutes, local trains are closer to 1 hr.

I suggest San Francisco over Oakland. You do not want to battle traffic on the Nimitz Freeway or the Bay Bridge/101 everyday. Best route to Stanford from San Francisco is Interstate 280- it's like a racetrack. CalTrain from San Francisco to Palo Alto is another option. I'd go that route so you can get some reading done during the commute. Express trains make the trip in 35 minutes, local trains are closer to 1 hr.

Thanks for your tips... We finally decided that we will live in Berkeley its better that she is closer to her university and I will commute every day...

It is too horrible the traffic trough the bay bridge and then to the Interstate 280?

Well I will be a couple of months in advance to check it out...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! anyone of you taking the SDC program this sept 2010? I got accepted to SDC too so i want to get in touch with you...

I'll be in SDC! send me a message :)

anyone know when is Orientation day for domestic students? is there a department orientation? when do we meet with advisors and sign up for classes? I hope everyone's summer is going well!

I talked with the department. I'm moving onto campus on the 11th of September, and then i think Thursday of that week we will be assigned academic advisors. We will get the opportunity Thursday or Friday to sit down with them to decide on a class schedule. As far as "orientation" I'm not sure, but I get the feeling it's all happening that week.

I'm moving in on the 11th too!

Is anyone planning on finishing all 45 units in three quarters? I did not get funds, and I plan on working part time to help out with school. I don't know what's reasonable number of classes to take.

On a side note, I got 3 job offers this past week, the constrution industry is picking up, and Stanford opens great doors.

I'm moving in on the 11th too!

Is anyone planning on finishing all 45 units in three quarters? I did not get funds, and I plan on working part time to help out with school. I don't know what's reasonable number of classes to take.

On a side note, I got 3 job offers this past week, the constrution industry is picking up, and Stanford opens great doors.

I'm planning to complete all the 45 credits in 3 quarters.....Its d same wid me, with no funding...