PsyD vs MSW: Help me decide!!

PsychObsessed1

I'm currently deciding between a top MSW program and a mid-level PsyD. I'm interested in private practice eventually and I know that I can do that with either degree. I'm drawn to the PsyD program because it offers more training, more education, and would put me in a position where I'm not limited to the jobs that I can apply for. I know that PsyDs are very costly, but I have spoken with my family and am very fortunate to be in a position where I would not graduate with insane amounts of debt. 

Would love to hear from people who have a PsyD and people who have their MSWs about your experiences and whether or not you felt prepared for clinical practice! 

I'm in a funded PsyD. Honestly, if you aren't interested in doing assessments at any point, I would do the MSW. You will be able to practice sooner and incur less debt (or spend less of your parents cash). MSWs can work in private practice, hospitals, etc. so there won't be too many opportunities you'd be barred from. 

1 hour ago, PsyDuck90 said:

I'm in a funded PsyD. Honestly, if you aren't interested in doing assessments at any point, I would do the MSW. You will be able to practice sooner and incur less debt (or spend less of your parents cash). MSWs can work in private practice, hospitals, etc. so there won't be too many opportunities you'd be barred from. 

Second this. I had a colleague who entered a Psy.D. program and realized it wasn't a good fit after a year.  They left the Psy.D. and did an MSW instead so she can focus on therapy. 

If you’re in the fortunate position to have even a mild amount of family wealth, I would invest it elsewhere. Long-term dividends (aside from the emotional joy of getting more education) probably aren’t great for the cost associated with unfounded PsyD programs. 

If you just want to do therapy (no research, no assessment), MSW route probably makes more sense for the aforementioned reasons. You can also save up the money that might be coming your way or work with your family to do something that might be useful with the funds (e.g., self-funded retirement accounts, down payment on a first home).