Columbia University - Fall 2020

ArtNerd2020

Hello, all future Buffs! I wanted to start this thread for fall 2020. I'll be coming to Boulder for a PhD in aerospace engineering, co-advised in the astrophysics department. 

Anyone want to connect before getting to campus? I'll be moving there from Cincinnati! 

Hey @Phoenix88 - it's great to meet you! My wife just committed to her PhD at CU Boulder, so we're Boulder bound as well. We're super excited for this next chapter in our lives.

It would be nice to connect with others moving the town. What's your plan for housing? Do you know folks in town?

Let me know if you want to catch up. Thanks!

@boulderbound what program will your wife be going into? 

And I know a few people in town, mostly from the PhD visit day, but one from a conference as well, and a couple people in Colorado from my university (one in Denver, and one in Colorado Springs!) As for housing, I'm working on figuring that out! I'm trying to move out there with my partner, who is looking for a job in software engineering, but is international. As he is not able to go for many of the jobs in Boulder (due to US security reasons in the aerospace sector), he is looking for jobs in other cities and towns nearby. If he gets a job near enough to me that we can both commute, we will try to find a place together. However, if a company places him outside of Colorado, I'll be looking into other options near campus, probably with a roommate if possible. 

Right now, I'm trying to get everything done in my undergrad program so I can graduate, as well as get a research paper out for DSCC. Between that, and corona concerns, I haven't had much opportunity to start planning moving quite yet. That will be a next month thing for sure, but I'll probably move out to Boulder towards the end of July. 

What are your guys' plans at the moment with moving and housing? 

5 hours ago, panqiang97 said:

Hi All. I've committed to the East Asian Languages and Cultures M.A. program, but am slightly worried about the fall semester being online/other virus-related contingencies. Does anyone have any information about what the fall semester will likely look like? 

To my knowledge, Columbia is still currently planning to have in-person classes in the fall. I'm sure they'll be very direct and let us know ASAP if/when they decide to change that. I've been playing around with the idea of deferring for a year, but I think I'd loose the scholarship that I got. So I think I'll stick with whatever Columbia decides to do for now. 

On 4/28/2020 at 12:50 PM, MoChelle said:

Hi, 

I've applied to the MSW Program at Columbia University. I was waitlisted. I should be hearing an answer by May 15th. 

Hopeful, but not sure if I stand a chance. 

-Mo

Good luck! Hope you get in :) 

Hi everyone! Congrats on your acceptance. I got into the M.A. in South Asian Studies program at Columbia starting this fall. I emailed the school and the director informed me they're planning to start classes as per normal in Sept. Hope this helps! Where's everyone from? I'll be moving from SG to NY and don't know a single person in NY ?

On 5/10/2020 at 5:11 AM, ZGaz said:

Hi everyone! Congrats on your acceptance. I got into the M.A. in South Asian Studies program at Columbia starting this fall. I emailed the school and the director informed me they're planning to start classes as per normal in Sept. Hope this helps! Where's everyone from? I'll be moving from SG to NY and don't know a single person in NY ?

I'm currently finishing another master's program in New Hampshire, but I'm originally from Long Island. I'm excited to be closer to home again in all honesty lol :) 

On 5/10/2020 at 4:11 AM, ZGaz said:

Congratulations! I'm from MA and went to undergrad in upstate NY. I look forward to being on campus too, and I hope that we have a more definite answer about whether classes will be on campus or online soon!

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2020 at 7:24 AM, ArtNerd2020 said:

I thought I would start a thread for Columbia. I will be a student in their art history MA program; despite all of the uncertainty, I am still looking forward to the fall. 

Hello! I will be attending Columbia MODA in the fall and although it is a major bummer that it won't be exactly the same, I am still excited and hopeful! Main issue is finding housing as we are coming from the West Coast. Hopefully it won't be too hard to try to get to know others in the program and have good class discussions, given mostly online/social distancing! Best of luck to everyone, hang in there and I look forward to seeing everyone this fall!

On 7/11/2020 at 1:34 AM, Arthistoryiscool said:

Has anyone heard back from campus housing yet to see if you got approved for grad school housing? I am getting stressed about finding a place since it sounds like spots will be few and far between this year...

I'm in the same boat! Don't worry. I got in touch with the housing rep. via email; she said that if you don't receive a notification that you've been given a housing assignment by the 24th of July, then you're added to the waitlist. Also, is anyone else thinking of doing at least the first semester via online? I'm seriously considering it...

On 7/11/2020 at 2:34 PM, Arthistoryiscool said:

Has anyone heard back from campus housing yet to see if you got approved for grad school housing? I am getting stressed about finding a place since it sounds like spots will be few and far between this year...

7 hours ago, panqiang97 said:

I'm in the same boat! Don't worry. I got in touch with the housing rep. via email; she said that if you don't receive a notification that you've been given a housing assignment by the 24th of July, then you're added to the waitlist. Also, is anyone else thinking of doing at least the first semester via online? I'm seriously considering it...

Assignments were put on hold at the start of the month. Delayed once, then put on hold. I bet we get an update this week -- the July 24th mention is helpful.

One question, though: what makes you think that spots are "few and far between" this year? With deferrals offered (usually not an option) and the general difficulties facing domestic as well as (especially!) international students trying to get the NY, if anything there will be more graduate housing, no?

On 7/15/2020 at 1:32 AM, time_consume_me said:

Assignments were put on hold at the start of the month. Delayed once, then put on hold. I bet we get an update this week -- the July 24th mention is helpful.One question, though: what makes you think that spots are "few and far between" this year? With deferrals offered (usually not an option) and the general difficulties facing domestic as well as (especially!) international students trying to get the NY, if anything there will be more graduate housing, no?

Hello!

Good to know about 7/24! That's what I thought, but in one of their recent emails they said that graduate housing would be "extremely limited" due to a lot of grad students opting to keep their current on-campus housing this year. I also saw that they are doing "reduced capacity" at the dorms so i would think they would be doing the same with grad housing but who knows. I am going to go for it because my rent honestly isn't that much cheaper here and if I want to be able to kind of experience the campus even if it's very minimal. I also heard that apparently some NYC museums are planning to open in Aug which would be a nice resource to have access to as well. But I guess the silver lining is that if we get denied housing we can do online anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, panqiang97 said:

Did anyone hear back about housing? I got an email that I am on the waitlist and hadn't been picked this time. 

Ugh same here, so stressful. I am bummed out that they kept pushing the start of selections, I applied 4 months ago... hoping for the best but am currently dispossessed.