Speech-Language Pathology Waitlisted!

Hey all,

I have just been informed that I am waitlisted for the SLHS grad program for San Francisco State and have been denied from all other programs I applied to in California. Before I started my application process I met up with one of my old professors from San Jose State to ask for a rec. letter. They informed me to look at less popular programs to increase my chances in getting into grad school. Which I now regret not doing. I have tons of experience working in special education (4 years to be specific), have worked in ABA therapy as well. My gpa is not the best (3.41) and I need to definitely improve my GRE scores. Though, I really don't feel I'm that much of a horrible candidate. 

Anywho... My question is, has anyone ever been placed on a waitlist for a program and have reapplied the following year and have not gotten in to the same program they were waitlisted. What are my chances if I reapply for SFSU next year? Also, what out of state programs should I apply to that won't break the bank? 

• 3 weeks later...

hi what did you waitlist email entail? I was just accepted to the program, which is quite late compared to people who received acceptances back in March and never received a waitlist email. Maybe they're sending out emails in small groups?

On 4/16/2020 at 2:59 PM, k_california said:

My question is, has anyone ever been placed on a waitlist for a program and have reapplied the following year and have not gotten in to the same program they were waitlisted. 

I have an answer for you for this question! Last year, I was waitlisted at CSULB. This year, I went through the interview process there again and was rejected. So, I guess you never know. I applied to three schools in-state (California), and one out of state, and I only got in out of state. 

That’s some good work experience!! I would say look for state schools when applying. NY out of state tuition for the SUNYs are like 10k a semester, Western Carolina university was 10k per semester, Eastern New Mexico university is cheap too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got into 5 of 7 schools and wait listed to the other 2 with a 3.4 in the major so I actually think that's a pretty good GPA or at least good enough to get you into a decent amount of schools. I have a 3.6 overall but also had a ton of experiences and was a double major. But I really wouldn't beat yourself up over a 3.4...I don't know your chances for that particular school but don't lose hope on being removed from the waitlist yet. A lot of people are deferring admission because of covid which'll open up seats. I was accepted off the waitlist for 2 of my schools, SXU took me off a few weeks ago.

Apply to newer programs too if you can. Lewis University is running it's first cohort this coming year and it seems very promising. They also accepted several students with GPAs and GREs on the lower side! I do know of a lot of people who were waitlisted or even rejected to schools one year and get in the next. It really depends on the applicant pool. What gets you in one year might not the next and vise versa. I would keep building up relevant experiences and apply to schools who's deadlines are rolling or have been extended. Retaking the GRE doesn't hurt too!