To summer or not to summer?

BionicKris

Hello community. I'm back with yet another questionbiggrin.gif. I've been invited by my school of choice to come out and do research for 2 months before school actually starts. Naturally, I've already planned out how much "not work" I'm going to do this summer - including EPIC going away bashes (yes, plural), reading, going on my first cruise, and generally hanging out by the pool and facilitating the arrival of my eventual skin cancer. I was wondering what you all though might be the best route to take for my last summer before grad school starts. Go and do research and let my inner overacheiver out for a spell, or relax and hang out all summer and let my outer slacker have it all?

The pros I've come up with on my own include: being able to get a head start on research and thus using that as a backdrop for any fellowship applications next school year/ getting to know the community well ahead of time so that I don't have that fish out of water face in August/ getting experience in a 5th lab as opposed to being stuck with just the 4 rotations of the school year/making the inevitable move that much easier.

Cons: Not being able to soak up the loving rays of family and friends for as long as I'd exptected. *tear*sad.gif

Edited by BionicKris

In my humble opinion, there is no contest here. Your school is offering you an amazing opportunity to further your professionalization process. If you choose to decline this opportunity, you may inadvertently send a message that you are not as serious as other students, and you make not be offered these opportunities in the future, or at least not have first crack at them.

As this semester of classes ends, and I find myself staring down the barrel of a ridiculous amount of work remaining to finish, I can relate to your desire to soak in much needed friend and family time.

Keep in mind, however, that you have not yet built a working relationship with your new institution, and showing up to take advantage of this research opportunity will give you a fantastic opportunity to make a lasting first impression, which as you note, may well impact positively your research and your future ability to secure funding. Try to focus on what your ultimate goal is -- if you are looking to get a Ph.D. and get a tenure-track job, then you'll be in for a really long haul. You'll need to find ways to balance your work with leisure to avoid going insane. At the same time, you'll also have to ensure that you take advantage of special opportunities when they come your way, as you can never predict when they will come around again, if ever. It's a tough compromise, and I wish you the best of luck in negotiating the pros and cons!

same here..

I am starting early in May, so that I can get in the groove and a feel of everything before the busy schedule of classes starts. Also they are paying for summer, so that helps.

Also, earlier you start, the earlier you finish.

A few schools offered me paid opportunities to start this summer, but I've declined. Many of my advisors and older grad friends warned me against burn out, and I'd rather use my last summer to do things that I won't be able to while I'm in school (planning a vacation, hang out with hometown friends, read for pleasure, spend time learning to cook, sit around all day watching movies, etc).

When I turned down summer work, nobody acted as if I wasn't serious about my schooling. They said they perfectly understood and look forward to seeing me in the fall.

The pros I've come up with on my own include: being able to get a head start on research and thus using that as a backdrop for any fellowship applications next school year/ getting to know the community well ahead of time so that I don't have that fish out of water face in August/ getting experience in a 5th lab as opposed to being stuck with just the 4 rotations of the school year/making the inevitable move that much easier.

Cons: Not being able to soak up the loving rays of family and friends for as long as I'd exptected. *tear*sad.gif

Seeing as I had a similar situation in the past. Doing research in the summer does not get you that ahead of the game if at all. Research is unfortunately not like a regular course--you can't really get ahead. Although I completed a pilot study in the summer there were research related issues that arouse in the fall the placed me right in the same time frame (actually a couple weeks behind) those who were smart enough to take their summer break.

PLUS...and this is a big plus. Graduate school is a HUGE time commitment for several years so if you have a chance to chill in your youth (total assumption on my part) for one more summer---DO IT! (summer vacation that is)

Peace to youtongue.gif

Edited by gezzloume

I would have to agree with ScreamingHairyArmadillo and Gezzloume - I don't think anyone will think the worse of you for wanting to make the most of your summer. Grad school is long and gruelling; fill your days leading to it with lots of frolic :)

Personally, I wouldn't be able to survive a whole summer of relaxation. It sounds great at first, but I think that after a few weeks, I would probably go crazy. There's a reason I've been insanely busy all my life; I know no other way. That said, I don't want to start grad school without a chance to unwind a bit. When I was offered the opportunity to do research over the summer, I said that I would love to, but I wouldn't be able to start until June because I have to move and settle in after I graduate in May. I also said that I did have plans to be away for one week during the summer and asked if I would need to cancel that trip if I came on early (this was not an attempt to guilt trip; it is a free vacation visiting family, so cancelling is a reasonable option). I was told that I could be brought on for a half summer appointment, which I think is the best option for me. I can relax a bit for the first time in years and have a less stressful move. I can then use the time that I am there in the summer to get started on my research. I can also still take that one week trip. I don't feel that anybody is disappointed that I am coming on for a half summer rather than a full one. I really want to start my research early, but for me, giving myself enough time to relocate comfortably and take that trip is really necessary; I know that I won't be able to do my best work if I move directly from one stressful environment to another without any sort of break between them. You might want to ask if there is any way to work around the cruise you want to take and/or come on for a somewhat shorter summer appointment. There is probably a way for you to start on your research early while still having a chance to unwind a bit.

My future advisor mentioned a summer start when I visited a month ago, but did not mention it again when I told him I was coming. I'm not sure if I should bring it up again, and I'm not sure if I'd want to do it anyway.

I've been working for a few years now and part of me thinks it would be good to get used to using my brain again in a low stress situation (and good to get a head start with the optimistic part of me saying maybe I could finish faster) but another part of me was counting on the additional money I'd save in those last few months (especially considering my lease is timed to end when I go back to school and I'd be paying double rent). I'm also worried about missing a month at home with my parents and a last European vacation with the boyfriend. Actually the biggest pro I can think of for a summer start now is getting to quit my job very soon before I jump out a window on the 34st floor to get away from my coworkers or scream at one of the chauvanistic jerks and quit on the spot (though part of me does think that would be AWESOME).

Anyway, one person mentioned that starting early wasn't any major help to them, is that the general consensus? I'm not worried about looking bad for not doing it since the advisor hasn't brought it up again or formally offered it, but I don't want to miss out on a chance to get ahead either.

Wow. Thanks so much for the quick response guys.

@gezzloume: I'm not looking at this opportunity as an attempt to get ahead as far as the program overall is concerned. In hindsight, I could have worded that better in my OP. My fellowship applications were overwhelmingly declined this year due to a lack of knowledge in my intended field. I thought it would be a pro to go and do the premie research in an attempt to gain more knowledge of my field and thus do a better job on my fellowship applications/research proposals for the upcoming year. I'm not so worried about trying to get through my program early. I'm more focused on funding. I hope that makes better sense wink.gif.

@ ExoticTeacup: I'm in the same situation. But in my case, over $1000 has been spent on my vacation and I'd very much like to go. I've requested to arrive later than their June 6th start date, but have yet to receive an answer. I'm also the type of person that can only spend so much time "relaxing." I'll still be working over the summer, but I can't decide if I should got to Purdue and work in a lab and get settled, or if I should stay where I am working two terrible jobs so that I can enjoy being around friends, family and the occasional jaunt to the club. cool.gif

@ oldlday: We meet again! If I remember correctly you are the closet scientist! I wish there was a way to do both, but once I head out to Indiana for school, I see very little chance of me commuting back and forth or even visiting that much. School starts August 20 and the program is designed to end about 2 wks before that date at which point I'll (hopefully) be happily settled into my new digs.

It's really not a decision of money or saving up at this point. They've indicated that housing and traveling costs will be covered in addition to a stipend that's nothing to sneeze at. I'm really just wondering if it's as difficult to travel and have free time in grad school as everyone makes it out to be. If the case is that I can't at least go on vacation once a year while in school, then I guess my decision will have to be keeping my butt right here in Charlotte, NC until August.

A note of caution from someone who's wrapping up her first year:

I didn't come out at the beginning of the summer, and I wish I had. The people who came out early seem to have had a better shot at nabbing the RA slots. I, on the other hand, think I'm gonna have to TA for another semester. At least. <_<

A note of caution from someone who's wrapping up her first year:

I didn't come out at the beginning of the summer, and I wish I had. The people who came out early seem to have had a better shot at nabbing the RA slots. I, on the other hand, think I'm gonna have to TA for another semester. At least. <_<

BionicKris, I am in the same situation; and also very torn. It seems like a great opportunity, but it would mean that I would have to quit my current job much earlier than planned (I dont necessarily mind, but I dont want to burn bridges...). I am also facing a 3000 miles move. It feels like an offer I can't decline, and I feel I shouldnt, but what about my fantastic summer plans? sad.gif

As an aside, all those comments about making good use of the "last summer" to relax are really starting to freak me out!blink.gif Honestly, is it going to be that bad? I have worked harder than most my whole life, been to very competitive schools and undergrad. Are the next years going to be hellish? Loads of people seem to give off that impression... I am really starting to worry here... Surly *some* relaxation and fun will be possible...?

BionicKris, I am in the same situation; and also very torn. It seems like a great opportunity, but it would mean that I would have to quit my current job much earlier than planned (I dont necessarily mind, but I dont want to burn bridges...). I am also facing a 3000 miles move. It feels like an offer I can't decline, and I feel I shouldnt, but what about my fantastic summer plans? sad.gif

As an aside, all those comments about making good use of the "last summer" to relax are really starting to freak me out!blink.gif Honestly, is it going to be that bad? I have worked harder than most my whole life, been to very competitive schools and undergrad. Are the next years going to be hellish? Loads of people seem to give off that impression... I am really starting to worry here... Surly *some* relaxation and fun will be possible...?

You'll have plenty of summers when you are retired. Going seems like the smart career move...

Honestly, is it going to be that bad? I have worked harder than most my whole life, been to very competitive schools and undergrad.

I think it's called growing up. ;) If you play your cards right (ie you have a job in the future) you will not get summers off. Summers during grad school are not vacation. Not to say you will never be able to have a vacation during grad school; they are just not the same as those during undergrad. And I'm just going to take this last one for myself.

I think it's called growing up. wink.gif If you play your cards right (ie you have a job in the future) you will not get summers off. Summers during grad school are not vacation. Not to say you will never be able to have a vacation during grad school; they are just not the same as those during undergrad. And I'm just going to take this last one for myself.

I am leaving my job a month and half early to have a last harrah, and be in a wedding and see all my best friends before moving to the deepest corner of the South, but then again, I am not being asked to come to do early researchbiggrin.gif .

Aside from any money issues, RAships, and how it looks to professors, do you think the actual research done in those summer months is worthwhile?

If I did this it would only be two months, do you think it would still be a huge benefit or get me ahead in my program?

Right now it looks like I could have an opportunity to mentor some college kids on an awesome project if I don't go early (plus some time off), but I do want to take every chance I can to get ahead. Is not going in the summer detrimental to me in the next few years in the program?

Gezzloume seems to think it wasn't too helpful with research.

UnlikelyGrad, aside from missing out on RA positions, did you feel behind those that were there in the summer? Do you feel your research suffered?

I think it's called growing up. ;) If you play your cards right (ie you have a job in the future) you will not get summers off. Summers during grad school are not vacation. Not to say you will never be able to have a vacation during grad school; they are just not the same as those during undergrad. And I'm just going to take this last one for myself.

Of course I am not expecting to have three months off during the summer... I am not even the type who would want that. smile.gif

I was just struck by many comments on how with the start of grad school you say goodbye to fun. Surely you can take a weekend off sometimes, have the occasional drink in the evening, or take a couple of weeks of vacation? Or am I wrong?

I completely agree, Yes. It seems that the feedback I get from most people in grad school alludes to not ever having free time and always being stuck in my secret laboratory. I get that grad school is hardwork. I get that I'm essentially making a career for myself at this point, but does everyone have to make it seem like I'll be a hunchback, with stringy hair and green skin hunched over my lab results crooning "my precious" by the time it's all said and done? I'd like to think that we can treat grad school like the job that it is, and still take itty bitty vacations throughout just to give our brains a break.

I'm thinking that though this last year off from school hasn't been a joy ride, it has been a long enough vacation from school. I don't like working hourly jobs. I like being in an academic environment. I figure I can have a good time on the weekend and take a wee break between the end of the summer program and the beginning of my PhD. It seems like the smartest move at this point.

So thank you, Yes. Your username has pretty much answered my question tongue.gif

Sorry for the multiple posts guys - I'm just starting to get the hang of this multiquote thing.

I think it's called growing up. wink.gif If you play your cards right (ie you have a job in the future) you will not get summers off. Summers during grad school are not vacation. Not to say you will never be able to have a vacation during grad school; they are just not the same as those during undergrad. And I'm just going to take this last one for myself.

*in small childs voice* But I don't wanna!sad.gif (grow up that is LOL)

Aside from any money issues, RAships, and how it looks to professors, do you think the actual research done in those summer months is worthwhile?

Watergirl, I personally think that it would be worthwhile (when we take the whole "giving up the last summer" aspect out of it). My summer program has made sure that I contact someone in my field to ensure that they have room for me in their lab. I don't know that this is a requirement for other summer research appointments, but considering that my PI will be doing exactly what I plan to do in grad school, going for the summer can only help me. It may not help me get ahead of the rest of my class, but I'm not worried about that at all. Behind or ahead, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that you walk away with the degree that you worked for, not when you walked away with it. I think it's the experience that matters most, not necessarily the data or any papers that come of it. In my situation, I don't really know any of the techniques that are being utilized in eating behavior research. This "extra" summer will allow me to become more familiar with my field and be a little less overwhelmed once school starts. I'm not sure, but I think Gezzloume was more focused on results (i.e. data, papers, etc) of the research than the experience.

Of course I am not expecting to have three months off during the summer... I am not even the type who would want that. smile.gif

I was just struck by many comments on how with the start of grad school you say goodbye to fun. Surely you can take a weekend off sometimes, have the occasional drink in the evening, or take a couple of weeks of vacation? Or am I wrong?

I think you're entirely correct. :)

Yes: It depends on what you mean by "goodbye to fun"... I came to graduate school after deciding to leave a highly successful (but unsatisfying -- to say the least) corporate career in a completely unrelated field. After spending upwards of 10 years working in a corporate environment, the adjustment to graduate school has not been particularly difficult. The trick is to work when you are working, and not work when you are not. It sounds simple and obvious, but I see students all around me who are incapable of doing this. They are "working" all day long, but that work often consists of water-cooler talk, checking their facebook page, and so on. Their productive time ends up being far less than the time that they spend in the office, so to speak.

I have found that most of the time, I am able to get everything that I want and need to get done completed by working roughly 50-60 hours a week, with 50 being far more in line than 60. At the end of semesters with grading, writing, researching and everything else, this generally ramps up to around 75-90 hours for a week or two, but then after the semester ends and grades are all turned in, I get to tune it down to 10-15 hours for at least a few weeks while I recuperate and regain my sanity.

Obviously, there is going to be substantial variations in workload between fields and different programs. What I have found overall, however, is that graduate school require significantly more discipline than undergrad, and a lot of people whose primary experiences have been undergraduate education and jobs that require you to invest your time, but not necessarily a substantial amount of yourself, find this to be a difficult transition.

In any event, I have a wife, children, a house that requires upkeep, friends and so on. There is no doubt that I have to be far more structured with my time, and that I can't always go out and have fun with my family or friends when they want to do things, but I have a rich and balanced life that is fulfilling and enjoyable. The first year is probably going to be extremely intense and difficult -- it was for me anyway -- but even then there was time for friends, a drink here and there, a movie, etc.

Going to grad school does not mean saying "good bye" to fun and even vacations. Grad school is often what you want to make of it. You're not a robot and nobody expects you to be. (Ok, usually. everybody hears advisor horror stories.) Sure I spend a lot of time on my research, classes, TA responsibilities, etc, but I also spend a LOT of time doing fun stuff. Fun is a very important part to mental health. For me, the key is to be an efficient worker. When I work, I am really focused, work hard get a lot done. If I'm unfocused and not being productive, I often cut my losses, give up, go have fun and come back later when I can concentrate. This is true for a lot people I know and one of the advantages of having a flexible work schedule. There will definitely be periods where you feel like all you do is work and worry about the work you haven't done yet, but it tends to come and go.

There are plenty of opportunities for fun. I actually don't work a ton on the weekends, because I reserve that for going out, socializing, and general relaxing. Sure I work some, but really it's pretty minimal unless i have a big deadline. And you CAN take vacations, you just have to find gaps in your schedules and make it work. Even though I have classes & TA responsibilities during the academic year and fieldwork ALL spring, summer, and fall, I work it out with my lab so that I can take off for a week or two without any problems. As long as my work is up to the high bar set by my advisor and myself, nobody complains. I guess if your version of fun is being a beach bum for 3 months every summer, out partying until 3 a.m. every night during the school year, and have never had to balance work with play, maybe you will see it as saying goodbye to fun, but I don't think that tends to be the case with most people in grad school :-) t's all about finding a balance that works for you.

As for the OP, I think trying to do about half the summer is a good idea. Moving in a bit before classes, etc. start is definitely nice. For me, I talked with my advisor and took a non-related job in a great location for most of the summer and then came to where I am now a month early to get in the swing of things. For me, not having a job was NOT an option, but I enjoyed doing something different to take a breadth before jumping into work. If they say they need you to start 2 months early, see if you can work it out so that you can still take some weeks off at points. In my experience, most labs are pretty flexible with incoming students before they start.

As for this forum making it sound like grad school is the end of fun and all non-academic life, I think it's skewed because many of the current grads come here and post to vent frustration, share learning lessons from the mistakes they made, etc. It's like how ratemyprofessor.com tends to be skewed towards negative reviews or why voter is high when they're dissatisfied with the government... few people bother to say anything when nothings wrong.

Or maybe they're all out having fun rather than wasting away obsessively checking the [fill in the blank] forum. ;-)