MPH 2021 Canada

9 minutes ago, BoxingAndMPH said:

Congrats! How’d you get notified?

6 minutes ago, Gemini Ma said:

Congrats!what stats did you apply with?

5 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

Congrats!!! What are your stats and experiences?

Thank you! Was an email saying my status has been updated and a link to access the portal.

4.0 GPA in last 2 years but only one intro stats course

Just now, mphhhh said:

Thank you! Was an email saying my status has been updated and a link to access the portal.

4.0 GPA in last 2 years but only one intro stats course

Thats amazing! Did you have a high cGPA as well and did you have a lot of research experience too? Also, is that your top choice?

Edited by Excel725

Just now, Excel725 said:

Thats amazing! Did you have a lot of research experience too? Also, is that your top choice?

Thank you!! I have one publication (2nd author, not very public health related though), summer research jobs, and doing an honours thesis right now.

Not sure what my top choice is..got into Guelph but still waiting on Queen's.

2 minutes ago, mphhhh said:

Thank you!! I have one publication (2nd author, not very public health related though), summer research jobs, and doing an honours thesis right now.

Not sure what my top choice is..got into Guelph but still waiting on Queen's.

amazing experiences! when did you hear back from guelph btw? 

At 10:28 pm MST, I received my acceptance to U of A's MPH Epidemiology.

This is after I got rejected by both UBC (last week) and U of T (this morning), so don't lose hope guys!

In case anyone is curious, the expiry date is April 6th.

Edited by PumpkinPie101

37 minutes ago, PumpkinPie101 said:

This is after I got rejected by both UBC (last week) and U of T (this morning), so don't lose hope guys!

Congrats!! What were your stats and experiences? and also did you go right from pre-screening to accepted? 

53 minutes ago, PumpkinPie101 said:

Congrats!! Are u an international student? And wats ur stats? 

27 minutes ago, Canadaapplicant said:

Congrats!! Are u an international student? And wats ur stats? 

43 minutes ago, bbj said:

Congrats!! What were your stats and experiences? and also did you go right from pre-screening to accepted? 

Domestic student finishing my final year at the University of Toronto!

My undergraduate GPA at the time of application to U of A was 3.88 (3.97 with the removal of one course where I received a C due to an emergency before the final).

Research: Not much – research assistant for 3 years, but in 2 education labs not related to my degree. I was a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholar for 3 months in Kenya a few years ago. I decided not to pursue a thesis, and don't have any publications.

Other experience: I head a campus club focused on global health and economic development, have been tutoring inner-city children for 7 years, volunteer as a mental health crisis responder, and contributed to writing a competency-based Physiology course.

References: PI of the two education labs, who both know me well.

As you can see, most of my experiences involve children and education! I think my LOI was probably the strong point.

I was actually in "Under Review/Decision: Pending" for a long time, and I submitted my application the day it was due.

Edited by PumpkinPie101

10 minutes ago, PumpkinPie101 said:

Domestic student finishing my final year at the University of Toronto!

My undergraduate GPA at the time of application to U of A was 3.88 (3.97 with the removal of one course where I received a C due to an emergency before the final).

Research: Not much – research assistant for 3 years, but in 2 education labs not related to my degree. I was a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholar for 3 months in Kenya a few years ago. I decided not to pursue a thesis, and don't have any publications.

Other experience: I head a campus club focused on global health and economic development, have been tutoring inner-city children for 7 years, volunteer as a mental health crisis responder, and contributed to writing a competency-based Physiology course.

References: PI of the two education labs, who both know me well.

As you can see, most of my experiences involve children and education! I think my LOI was probably the strong point.

I was actually in "Under Review/Decision: Pending" for a long time, and I submitted my application the day it was due.

Wow.. That's better research experience than u think.. U deserved it.. Congratulations!!! 

1 hour ago, Excel725 said:

What are your stats and experiences if you don't mind sharing? 

Hey I just completed my MSc this past year (4.0 gpa) and gained research experience through my MSc project, still have a publication pending. The first two years of my BSc weren’t that strong but made up for it in the last two years (gpa for these two years would be around 11.0/12.0). I only took one stats course during my BSc, grade A-. I have about 2 years of research experience at a hospital and worked/volunteered at a couple of different non-profits. Other than that I don’t have much public health experience, I’m not sure how competitive my application would be compared to some of the stats I’ve been seeing so far. Hope this helps. :) 

15 minutes ago, SparklersG said:

Hey I just completed my MSc this past year (4.0 gpa) and gained research experience through my MSc project, still have a publication pending. The first two years of my BSc weren’t that strong but made up for it in the last two years (gpa for these two years would be around 11.0/12.0). I only took one stats course during my BSc, grade A-. I have about 2 years of research experience at a hospital and worked/volunteered at a couple of different non-profits. Other than that I don’t have much public health experience, I’m not sure how competitive my application would be compared to some of the stats I’ve been seeing so far. Hope this helps. :) 

I think it's super helpful that you also have an MSc!!! Good luck!!!

Does anyone have any insights on the stats of Western MPH admits? Also has anyone heard about the UoG Msc in population health (public health stream)? I’m considering applying but i feel like there’s not a ton of information online

1 minute ago, nootnoot said:

Does anyone have any insights on the stats of Western MPH admits? Also has anyone heard about the UoG Msc in population health (public health stream)? I’m considering applying but i feel like there’s not a ton of information online

can we still apply or is this for the 2022 cycle?

1 minute ago, bbj said:

can we still apply or is this for the 2022 cycle?

technically you just need to submit an application 4 weeks before your start date (they have rolling admissions so you can start whichever semester you want) but you do need to contact a supervisor way in advance