MPH 2021 Canada

19 minutes ago, GingerDwight said:

I 100% understand the want to ask for an extension, and in any other research based program I (and everyone else) would say you can 100% ask for an extension. Programs like the MPH programs at Mac and UofT are SUPER competitive and we all know that they get hundreds of applicants and have very few spots. The schools also know this. In order to ask for an extension (which you can 100% do if  you want)  you just have to email them and ask.

BUT keep in mind that as soon as you do that, they know that they're not your top choice. The waitlist for Mac is filled with students who have Mac as their top (or only) choice and are waiting for people like you who were accepted to make up their minds. In my opinion, I would accept McMaster's offer, and then if you get into UofT, you can withdraw from Mac - this is very common with more competitive or professional programs (according to reddit). I don't think Mac makes you put down a deposit.  

I'm not trying to tell you what to do in any way, this is the etiquette I've read about on reddit for the more competitive programs. 

Congrats btw! 

I have sadly heard the same so I would say follow this anon's advice. 

40 minutes ago, GingerDwight said:

I 100% understand the want to ask for an extension, and in any other research based program I (and everyone else) would say you can 100% ask for an extension. Programs like the MPH programs at Mac and UofT are SUPER competitive and we all know that they get hundreds of applicants and have very few spots. The schools also know this. In order to ask for an extension (which you can 100% do if  you want)  you just have to email them and ask.

BUT keep in mind that as soon as you do that, they know that they're not your top choice. The waitlist for Mac is filled with students who have Mac as their top (or only) choice and are waiting for people like you who were accepted to make up their minds. In my opinion, I would accept McMaster's offer, and then if you get into UofT, you can withdraw from Mac - this is very common with more competitive or professional programs (according to reddit). I don't think Mac makes you put down a deposit.  

I'm not trying to tell you what to do in any way, this is the etiquette I've read about on reddit for the more competitive programs. 

Congrats btw! 

thank you! and thank you for your response, I really appreciate your perspective! from what i'm understanding, you would say accepting Mac without asking for an extension and then potentially declining later would be the best way to go about it?

1 hour ago, jamie2547 said:

wondering if anyone has had experience asking McMaster (or other universities) for an extension for accepting/declining their offer? and if so, how does one go about doing that? i'm still waiting on UofT but the deadline to accept McMaster is the end of this week :(

I think in general with asking for deadline extensions the worst thing that will happen is they will say no. So it doesn't hurt to ask. I know it depends on different factors like rules at the school, the amount of time you want for an extension, and so on. 

I asked for a deadline extension from a school, not because it wasn't my first choice, but because I wasn't sure yet and wanted more time and more information to decide. So I don't think they are going to think you don't want to go there or anything like that necessarily. 

In my case they said no to an extension so I accepted. I plan to attend unless circumstances change.  (I am waiting for some personal news in April unrelated to MPH that could impact where I attend grad school AND I was waiting to hear back from UofT, but was rejected last week which is why I asked for an extension). 

Edited by Confusedfrog
Added more detail

Just now, jamie2547 said:

thank you! and thank you for your response, I really appreciate your perspective! from what i'm understanding, you would say accepting Mac without asking for an extension and then potentially declining later would be the best way to go about it?

Honestly, there is no "best" way to go about it. It's hard for you, hard for people on the waitlist and everyone else waiting for UofT with you. I do think that this what I would do and what I think is most fair - again, this is my personal opinion Realistically, I don't know how Mac will react to being asked for an extension, they might be perfectly fine with it. Do what you think is right :)

7 minutes ago, Confusedfrog said:

I think in general with asking for deadline extensions the worst thing that will happen is they will say no. So it doesn't hurt to ask. I know it depends on different factors like rules at the school, the amount of time you want for an extension, and so on. 

I asked for a deadline extension from a school, not because it wasn't my first choice, but because I wasn't sure yet and wanted more time and more information to decide. So I don't think they are going to think you don't want to go there or anything like that necessarily. 

In my case they said no to an extension so I accepted. I plan to attend unless circumstances change.  (I am waiting for some personal news in April unrelated to MPH that could impact where I attend grad school AND I was waiting to hear back from UofT, but was rejected last week which is why I asked for an extension). 

thanks for your perspective! congrats on your acceptance and i hope things work out for you and you're able to attend the program you've accepted! 

did you say exactly how long an extension you wanted when you asked the school?

6 minutes ago, GingerDwight said:

Honestly, there is no "best" way to go about it. It's hard for you, hard for people on the waitlist and everyone else waiting for UofT with you. I do think that this what I would do and what I think is most fair - again, this is my personal opinion Realistically, I don't know how Mac will react to being asked for an extension, they might be perfectly fine with it. Do what you think is right :)

you're right i guess we can only ever do what we think is right, but knowing that accepting and then declining later is a pretty normal thing makes me feel better about the prospect of potentially having to do that. thank you for your help!!

2 minutes ago, jamie2547 said:

thanks for your perspective! congrats on your acceptance and i hope things work out for you and you're able to attend the program you've accepted! 

I asked for a month extension because I knew that was when I would hear back about the other news. I knew it was a long shot since it was quite a long period of time though. 

They were quite nice and understanding in their reply even though an extension wasn't possible :)

Edited by Confusedfrog

4 minutes ago, jamie2547 said:

I also asked for an extension for two different programs (MA in Medical Anthropology and MA in Human Geography and Health) - I was accepted on March 1 and the original deadline for both was the 17th. I think I emailed on the 10th asking for an extension until the end of March and they both gave me until March 31. (but these are research programs keep in mind) 

10 minutes ago, Confusedfrog said:

I asked for a month extension because I knew that was when I would hear back about the other news. I knew it was a long shot since it was quite a long period of time though. 

They were quite nice and understanding in their reply even though an extension wasn't possible :)

Gotcha, guess like you said the worse that can happen is they say no haha. but I'm glad they were nice about it! 

Just now, Excel725 said:

What experiences and stats did you apply with? 

Mac Lifesci undergrad, 3.9 GPA in final 2 years, b+ in stats, TA in science communication course, RA with a prof working on  studying workplace health policy implementation surrounding carer employees (full-time working employees who also have to take care of elderly/sick adult family members) kinda public health-ish from a policy implementation perspective. EiC of one of Mac's undergrad journals (implemented increased accessibility strategies) and I've tailored my course load to reflect multidisciplinary perspectives of public health (anthropology, philosophy etc.) so idk not a ton of experience but a decent undergrad 

5 hours ago, jamie2547 said:

wondering if anyone has had experience asking McMaster (or other universities) for an extension for accepting/declining their offer? and if so, how does one go about doing that? i'm still waiting on UofT but the deadline to accept McMaster is the end of this week :(

I asked Mac for an extension last week. They were good about it. Didn't do an extension, but they suggested I accept the offer and if I have to change my mind later in the spring I can withdraw.

52 minutes ago, 2helix said:

I asked Mac for an extension last week. They were good about it. Didn't do an extension, but they suggested I accept the offer and if I have to change my mind later in the spring I can withdraw.

thank you so much for sharing! that's very helpful, i'm glad they're good about people withdrawing later on :) 

3 minutes ago, jamie2547 said:

thank you so much for sharing! that's very helpful, i'm glad they're good about people withdrawing later on :) 

Me as well, I felt a lot of guilt about the idea of accepting and then withdrawing later. But the program suggested it, so no guilt!:)

24 minutes ago, 2helix said:

Me as well, I felt a lot of guilt about the idea of accepting and then withdrawing later. But the program suggested it, so no guilt!:)

I felt that 100%, so glad I'm not the only one! which program/s are you waiting on?

2 hours ago, lurkinguser said:

Does anyone know if grad school still send out physical copy acceptances along with our emails...? Mostly wondering about Queens and UofToronto

So for U of T, the entire package was attached under the status part of my application where it said decision made. I doubt they will be sending anything else to me, especially with COVID-19