Hi everyone,

Congratulations on on your acceptance to graduate school! I was accepted into a PhD program in Social Psychology and have to move from California to Pennsylvania. And my university has not decided if they are offering online or in-person classes for Fall 2020 yet. The graduate coordinator said that a decision will be made in July.

I'm hesitant to put down a deposit on an apartment without knowing the status of Fall 2020.

Do faculty expect students to relocate if classes are online? Moving is hard enough, and I'm imagining the additional challenges with starting a PhD program alone in a studio/1 bedroom apartment during the winter.

I'm wondering how COVID-19 has impacted your plans to relocate for grad school?

My university expects us to be able to be on campus, regardless of if classes are online or in-person. They expect that even if classes are online, we would be able to get approval to use lab spaces.

While starting a PhD program online is... less than ideal, moving in the dead of winter with less time to get settled in before starting your next semester / quarter is also not ideal.

My university has decided to offer distance learning as an option, regardless of how Covid goes.  As others have stated, it's much better to start in person, but I am considering the remote option.  I am moving across the country, which is daunting given everything going on, and it may be financially better for me to remain where I am for the time being rather than moving right away.  I'm still trying to decide, myself...

HopAlong,

I am starting a PhD. program for educational Psychology at Penn State this fall. I am in California as well. I have decided that I am not going to look for a place until the decision is made. Penn States website says that they will decide on June 15th. I have not yet spoken to my advisor about whether they expect me to be in Pennsylvania in the fall or not. However, If I am not expected to be in person I believe I will stay in California for the Fall semester. I don't see how being so Isolated in a new town across the country would fair well for my mental health starting a new intense program. I am looking at it as just another waiting game. 

Covid-19 has not impacted my plans to to relocate for grad school.  Even though a decision has not yet been made about how classes will resume in the fall, I want to live near campus. I figure there will be some other students around, especially grad students.  Plus it was pointed out to me that one might easily be able to meet one's professors eventually, even if classes are conducted online.  I'll be needing their recommendations to get a job later, and I think meeting IRL is better.