Looking for Psychology Grad Schools (MA and PhD)

randomkid98

Hello everyone!

I am about to enter my 4th year of my psychology BA at SDSU. I plan on taking the GRE in the upcoming months. I currently have a 3.9 GPA. My plan is to eventually get a PhD so that I can become and educational testing psychologist (psychometrician) to help kids get accommodations in school.

Apply to grad schools will be difficult for me because my dad was planning on helping me but he unexpectedly passed away in March. So now I have to figure everything out for myself. Here is what I have planned for applications so far-

SDSU- Psych MA
UCSD- Psych MA

UC Merced- Psych PhD
UC Riverside- Psych PhD

I am doing MA for the more competitive schools and PhD for the less competitive schools. I am happy with my choices so far but am concerned that grad school apps will be too competitive and I will get denied from all four. Does anyone have any recommendations for other schools that I can apply for? Here are some of the important things-

-General Psych for MA or Clinical Psych for PhD
-Low tuition around $10,000 or lower per year (my dad was the breadwinner in the family)
-Preferably near San Diego so I can visit home every once in a while (SoCal/ West Arizona) I am willing to consider further school as long as they are low tuition (around $10,000 per year)

I am just a little overwhelmed having to do this search by myself now.

P.S. I would add CSU San Marcos to the MA list but I am not sure if the grad school acceptance is similar to how they do undergrad (if you apply to both CSUSM and SDSU then you would be accepted to CSUSM since it is the less competitive school and you would be denied from SDSU).

I am sorry about your dad's passing. It must be difficult to navigate the process by yourself when you were going to have help. 

Your goal appears more aligned with the roles of school psychologists who conduct psychoeducational testing and often coordinate accommodations in schools. Psychometricians are used in other contexts (e.g., administering tests under the supervision of neuropsychologists) and may not require an advanced degree, depending on their functions. You can find more information about what a school psychologist does and school psych program information at the National Association of School Psychologists website: https://apps.nasponline.org/standards-and-certification/graduate-education/index.aspx

Getting into a PhD program typically requires some to substantial research experience so your competitiveness depends on your experience. An MA in general psych is usually considered to be a springboard for PhD programs that ask for more research experience. The psych PhD programs at UC Merced and Riverside are research degrees and not eligible for licensure. UC Riverside does have a PhD in school psych though. Grad school acceptances are made separately so what you describe will not happen.

Edited by transfatfree

I'm so sorry about your dad's passing. I would also like to echo a lot of what transfatfree mentioned above, especially in regards to school psych. Also, most PhDs are funded, so you wouldn't be paying any tuition. Instead, you usually work as a research assistant or teaching assistant and get a stipend along with a tuition waiver. Just as a note, schools in desirable metro areas such as California get a lot of applicants simply because of location. You want to apply to PhD programs based on research fit with potential mentors. The typical clinical psych student will apply to about 10-15 schools. I would also recommend you check out Mitch's Guide to Grad School: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjTi4TJporqAhX4g3IEHctyADIQFjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw3UbQzDdWDrXVeX0-L58VK9. This is a really helpful starting point to distinguish between different types of degrees and career paths. 

I also want to say how truly sorry I am about your father’s passing. You’re going to make him so proud one day. 

Check out this book: Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology: 2020/2021 Edition (Insider's Guide To Graduate Programs In Clinical and Psychology) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1462541437/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1CT6EbEEWQXZW

I used it both times I applied and it’s such a good book explaining the in’s and out’s of the application cycle and has every accredited PhD program in both Clinical and Counseling Psychology listed.   
Best of luck to you.

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your father passing. Navigating grad school can be difficult, especially when experiencing a loss, and I want to be resource if I can. I see your goals are to do psychometric assessments for school accomodations. While ed psychs do that to some degree, I was wondering if you considered School Psychology as a career path? They do psychometric assessments (in schools and private practice) and so much more. Depending on your ultimate goals it might be a great match. With this path, I would suggest looking into schools that are APA accredited programs just for internship and licensing purposes. Here's a link providing further details about the role of schools psychologists. Happy to chat more ? Best of luck!

https://www.nasponline.org/about-school-psychology/who-are-school-psychologists 

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. That's incredibly rough. Sending lots of internet support! 

There are a few paths I know of to get to psychometric expertise, and I want to pass them on since they're likely not as competitive as clinical psychology and may have more/different funding opportunities. First, take a look at education departments. Many have degrees or specializations in quantitative methods, which is testing in educational setting. These programs are variable, but some will let you tailor your experience so that it includes both working with kids and psychometrics. Second, take a look at school psychology. Finally, I'd suggest taking a look at developmental psychology -- you mentioned the department at UC Merced, which I know has good developmental and quantitative methodology (may include psychometrics?) programs within the psych department. I haven't researched them significantly myself, but I"ve heard through word of mouth that they're very good in both areas. Good luck! :)