(Canada 2021) MPP/MPA Applications

BTF

On 4/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, bwnt said:

I have yet to hear from SFU and I’m getting a bit anxious especially since they’re my top choice. Anybody else?

I heard from them in early March. Maybe they will send out a second round of acceptances soon? 

On 3/29/2021 at 2:16 PM, elizabetheo said:

I am also waiting on McGill. I applied mid-February just a few weeks before the deadline, so that may put me at a disadvantage. I haven't heard anything from anyone recently ?, but apparently we should all hear by April 15. Best of luck to you!

I’m pretty sure I got waitlisted as my status is still “In Review” at this point... Did they say they would let everybody know by April 15th to you?

1 hour ago, Wicca said:

This is a long shot but has anybody inquired as to when Munk would be doing its second round of offers?

The deadline for me to respond was April 14, so I imagine some time around then? 

On 2/25/2021 at 10:38 AM, residenttomalito said:

CONGRATS !!! Happy for you, I went to Waterloo for undergrad and had some of the profs in the program. I really think you will love it ! I am still trying to decide if I will accept Waterloo as I also applied to Carleton but both are amazing programs !

I got accepted to both Carleton and Waterloo. Now can’t decide which one to pic! If I pick Carleton I will have to take one extra course as a prerequisite on Canadian politics. But I do want to work for the federal government. Another caveat is I don’t speak or write French. How likely is it to make a successful career in fed without knowing French language?

12 hours ago, ootttddd said:

Hi everyone, 

If anyone is waiting on second round offers (which I was) I just received an admissions offer from Waterloo's MPS. 

Congratulations! Same here! I got mine 2 days ago. I almost gave up on MPS and was thinking of going to Carleton instead for the MPPA. But now I am confused where to go- Waterloo or Carleton!

59 minutes ago, ST001 said:

Congratulations! Same here! I got mine 2 days ago. I almost gave up on MPS and was thinking of going to Carleton instead for the MPPA. But now I am confused where to go- Waterloo or Carleton!

Congrats on your offers :) ! I think that if you choose to go to Waterloo there is still a lot of potential for you to discover avenues in the federal public service. I went there during my undergrad and I am currently working in Feds due to a previous co-op I did in my 3rd year. But of course, there are also lots of advantages when it comes to Carleton given that it is in the Nations capital and many federal departments hire master students... either way, not being able to speak french is not a big deal, I know a lot of people who are not fluent in french - and plus, as an employers - depending on the department may require you to take some courses in French.

In my opinion, french is necessary to climb up the ladder in i.e. being a Director etc but this is just my observation as a student who did a couple co-ops in the public sector. 

Overall, if you are worried about French, you could always take some courses. Waterloo has a french course that is no credit in the MPS program, and I am sure you can take some french courses at Carleton, although I am no sure if the courses are an additional cost.

I don't know if this helped.. but best of luck to you on your final decision. 

On 4/9/2021 at 12:48 PM, canadian02 said:

I’m pretty sure I got waitlisted as my status is still “In Review” at this point... Did they say they would let everybody know by April 15th to you?

If I recall correctly, at the info webinars they said they'd let everyone know by April 15th. My partner was accepted last week with no funding and a deadline to respond of April 15th, which tells me they're going through the waitlist now as second-round funding offers were sent out three weeks ago. My guess is that on the 15th they'll either: (a) release a declines list and solidify those that have accepted up to that date as the class of 2021, or (b) review the list of those that declined offers up until the 15th, offer the according amount of spots to those next in line on the waitlist while giving them a week or so to respond, and then declining everyone else

On 4/9/2021 at 1:40 PM, Matcha-Tea said:

Anyone else hear from UVIC Online MPA? Waiting for their second round of offers.. does anyone know how long do the people offered admission last week have to accept or decline?

I just got my rejection this morning ☹️

It just says “not competitive to the other applicants” so I’ve emailed to ask for more feedback. I have a pretty solid GPA, good work experience, had stellar letters of recommendation. So either there’s something missing in my work experience or I just didn’t sell myself hard enough in my letter. Which, boo. 

Now to decide if I will wait and try again next year or shift to another online MPA like UofSask or Dalhousie. 

4 hours ago, ThisGirl said:

It just says “not competitive to the other applicants” so I’ve emailed to ask for more feedback. I have a pretty solid GPA, good work experience, had stellar letters of recommendation. So either there’s something missing in my work experience or I just didn’t sell myself hard enough in my letter. Which, boo. 

Now to decide if I will wait and try again next year or shift to another online MPA like UofSask or Dalhousie. 

Sorry to hear that! :( It seems common for people to apply a couple of times before getting in, this will be my first year applying. Are you a mature student? (I.e graduated four years or more ago)

I will be looking at Dalhousie too if I get rejected, we have until June 1 to apply. I didn’t know U of S had an online MPA so thank you for the info. 

37 minutes ago, Matcha-Tea said:

Sorry to hear that! :( It seems common for people to apply a couple of times before getting in, this will be my first year applying. Are you a mature student? (I.e graduated four years or more ago)

I will be looking at Dalhousie too if I get rejected, we have until June 1 to apply. I didn’t know U of S had an online MPA so thank you for the info. 

Yes. I graduated uni in 2006 and have worked at every level of public service since. So I’m really not sure. 

I have heard from colleagues it sometimes takes a few tries as well. 

Good luck to you. Maybe if you didn’t get a rejection yet there’s still hope!

20 hours ago, ThisGirl said:

I also received my rejection to the UVIC MPA Online this morning. I'm mid career (in my early 30's) with 8 years relevant experience (5 gov and 3 non-profit), a high UGPA, additional professional certifications, excellent references (I saw their letters) and a very solid statement of intent. I was also rejected last year so asked for feedback, of which they gave minimal, and applied again, only to be rejected again. I only applied to Uvic last year but also applied to USask this year, and I did get in back in Feb. 

If you decide to apply to USask next year, do so early! They are only accepting 20-25 students each year for the program so it is becoming more competitive than in previous years. 

7 minutes ago, single_dollar said:

I also received my rejection to the UVIC MPA Online this morning. I'm mid career (in my early 30's) with 8 years relevant experience (5 gov and 3 non-profit), a high UGPA, additional professional certifications, excellent references (I saw their letters) and a very solid statement of intent. I was also rejected last year so asked for feedback, of which they gave minimal, and applied again, only to be rejected again. I only applied to Uvic last year but also applied to USask this year, and I did get in back in Feb. 

If you decide to apply to USask next year, do so early! They are only accepting 20-25 students each year for the program so it is becoming more competitive than in previous years. 

Me too.. got my rejection this morning. I know, it’s not the end of the world but I did have a few tears. This past year has been one of the worst and I was really hoping for this to be a bright light for me. I have no idea what they (UVic) is looking for to be honest. 

22 minutes ago, single_dollar said:

Thanks for sharing. 

I’ll look more into the USask program - tbh I didn’t know they had an online program until very recently. Good luck with the program!

12 minutes ago, Matcha-Tea said:

Me too.. got my rejection this morning. I know, it’s not the end of the world but I did have a few tears. This past year has been one of the worst and I was really hoping for this to be a bright light for me. I have no idea what they (UVic) is looking for to be honest. 

I feel you. I think I’m going to take the year and focus on some professional development and accreditation and go from there. 

I know a lot of the folks I know who have gotten into uvic in the past are very “policy” types. That’s not my professional background so maybe I’m just not a fit for their program. Who knows. 

1 hour ago, ThisGirl said:

I feel you. I think I’m going to take the year and focus on some professional development and accreditation and go from there. 

I know a lot of the folks I know who have gotten into uvic in the past are very “policy” types. That’s not my professional background so maybe I’m just not a fit for their program. Who knows. 

I should look into some upgrading as well.. maybe a certificate or something at Camosun. Volunteering more.

My Bachelor is in a more STEM area but funny enough is I currently work with policy, I talked about a big project in my statement of intent but guess it wasn’t enough. After seeing all the great candidates on here who were rejected, I feel so in the dark in what they are looking for. Some really talented people turned away. I am not sure of the online MPA acceptance rate but I heard it is quite low.

On 3/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, seekingchange said:

Accepted to Munks MPP program last week!

cGPA: 3.18 (I failed four courses in my first year just to give people hope lol), fourth year GPA: 3.93, decent ECs (nothing spectacular but involved in causes I'm passionate about, framed PS around them), three LORs (2 profs, 1 supervisor).

I'm set on Munk but super nervous about the quantitative/stats stuff as I know nothing beyond elementary school math lol. Can anyone who went through the program with limited prior quantitative knowledge speak on the difficulty of the courses, is there anything I can do to prepare right now?

Hi there! Long time lurker of this thread and I also got into Munk's MPP program the same time you did! I had the opportunity to talk to a few current MPP students with the same concern as you and 3/4 of them had no prior quantitative classes taken throughout their undergrad and found through tutorials/help centres at Munk they were able to pass the first year courses just fine! The current students also told me the community is really close and a lot of students set up informal peer tutoring sessions throughout the year :) Hope this helps! 

On 4/11/2021 at 11:47 AM, residenttomalito said:

Congrats on your offers :) ! I think that if you choose to go to Waterloo there is still a lot of potential for you to discover avenues in the federal public service. I went there during my undergrad and I am currently working in Feds due to a previous co-op I did in my 3rd year. But of course, there are also lots of advantages when it comes to Carleton given that it is in the Nations capital and many federal departments hire master students... either way, not being able to speak french is not a big deal, I know a lot of people who are not fluent in french - and plus, as an employers - depending on the department may require you to take some courses in French.

In my opinion, french is necessary to climb up the ladder in i.e. being a Director etc but this is just my observation as a student who did a couple co-ops in the public sector. 

Overall, if you are worried about French, you could always take some courses. Waterloo has a french course that is no credit in the MPS program, and I am sure you can take some french courses at Carleton, although I am no sure if the courses are an additional cost.

I don't know if this helped.. but best of luck to you on your final decision. 

That helps a lot! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!