(Canada 2021) MPP/MPA Applications

BTF

Hi BTF,

Did you have to learn Tableau or any other software for any MPPA course?

How much readings are involved per courses per week? And, how much writing (assignments - group/individual) is involved beside the final exams in courses?

How the gradings are in courses - as in profs are too hard or moderate in grading or depends on the course?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

On 4/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, ThisGirl said:

I just got my rejection this morning ☹️

It just says “not competitive to the other applicants” so I’ve emailed to ask for more feedback. I have a pretty solid GPA, good work experience, had stellar letters of recommendation. So either there’s something missing in my work experience or I just didn’t sell myself hard enough in my letter. Which, boo. 

Now to decide if I will wait and try again next year or shift to another online MPA like UofSask or Dalhousie. 

I know how you feel. I was rejected from Carleton last week officially after being on the “waitlist”. Unfortunately, this year was a weird year to apply for grad school :(. There was at least a 30% increase in applications due to the pandemic! I’ve heard that a lot of people who would have normally gotten in under normal circumstances would be disappointed this year. I would say try again or gain that work experience need to get you to the next level! Don’t get discourage, definitely try again :)

1 hour ago, ST001 said:

Hi BTF,

Did you have to learn Tableau or any other software for any MPPA course?

How much readings are involved per courses per week? And, how much writing (assignments - group/individual) is involved beside the final exams in courses?

How the gradings are in courses - as in profs are too hard or moderate in grading or depends on the course?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

1. Did you have to learn Tableau or any other software for any MPPA course?

No to Tableau and depends on the research methods prof you have, some might teach Nvivo, R, or SPSS.

2. How much readings are involved per courses per week? And, how much writing (assignments - group/individual) is involved beside the final exams in courses?

Depends on the course. Seminar courses are more reading and writing than lecture courses. From my experience, the usual seminar course is about 6-8000 words of writing and about 100 pages of readings a week. Lecture courses are highly variable but always less than seminar courses. 

3. How the gradings are in courses - as in profs are too hard or moderate in grading or depends on the course?

Most students earn either a B+ or A- as final course grades regardless or professor. Some students earn higher and some lower. The grade you earn is largely dependent on your ability to write a concise and coherent argument and make useful class discussion contributions. 

8 hours ago, Matcha-Tea said:

I should look into some upgrading as well.. maybe a certificate or something at Camosun. Volunteering more.

My Bachelor is in a more STEM area but funny enough is I currently work with policy, I talked about a big project in my statement of intent but guess it wasn’t enough. After seeing all the great candidates on here who were rejected, I feel so in the dark in what they are looking for. Some really talented people turned away. I am not sure of the online MPA acceptance rate but I heard it is quite low.

I feel you. My current work is also in external relations and policy, and I spoke to a significant policy project in my Statement of Intent as well, along with other relevant work in intergovernmental relations and communications and 2 additional professional certifications I earned in 2019. So baffled as to what they're looking for. Is everyone who received an offer in their 40's with 20 years experience in 2+ levels of government and a 4.0 GPA from back in the 90's? Truly this is what it seems like.

Last year when I received feedback on my previous application I was informed the acceptance rate was 15%, and I know they received more applications this year so would guess it is in the 8-10% range this year. So you're in great company with your rejection. 

For everyone that applied to only UVIC this year. That was me last year. Think about it for a few months to be sure it's what you really want, ask the admissions team for feedback, and apply again next year to multiple schools. Grateful I didn't overlook USask and get to start in September. Good luck! 

Hi

Ive gotten into a few MPP/A schools already and have been stalking this thread for a while now. 

I got into Queens back in Feb and accepted in March and was pretty set on going there, but in the past two days i got into Waterloo MPS and Laurier MIPP.  Im still waiting on Munk but becoming more pessimistic everyday.

I noticed nobody has really talked about Laurier MIPP, would anyone be able to talk about it?

Also I know everyone is different but between the three Ive gotten into which one do you think would be best route for private sector/ NGO work?

1 hour ago, ddtg said:

Hi

Ive gotten into a few MPP/A schools already and have been stalking this thread for a while now. 

I got into Queens back in Feb and accepted in March and was pretty set on going there, but in the past two days i got into Waterloo MPS and Laurier MIPP.  Im still waiting on Munk but becoming more pessimistic everyday.

I noticed nobody has really talked about Laurier MIPP, would anyone be able to talk about it?

Also I know everyone is different but between the three Ive gotten into which one do you think would be best route for private sector/ NGO work?

Not too sure if it will help - but a couple of prof. overlap between Queen's MPA and MBA - thus, there is a bit better chance of networking from a pvt. sector perspective. Waterloo is a great prog. as well, but it is very much designed for public sector. Queen's is too, but given that Queen's MBA and BCom are farily well regarded in the pvt. sector, the chance to network in pvt. sector might be a tad bit better.

One thing to consider, though, is that Waterloo's co-op seems stronger compared to that of Queen's but it is mostly PS. I attended Waterloo's welcome session and could feel the "support" vibe. At Queen's you will have to put a bit more effort (so if I were to split your effort vs. school effort, it may be 50:50 at Waterloo, but will be like 65:35 at Queen's.

Background: I am a Queen's grad.

Please feel free to PM for anything else.

9 hours ago, ddtg said:

Hi

Hi, I'm so glad someone else on this forum applied to the MIPP at Laurier. I'm basically in the same boat as you except I'm trying to exclusively pick between Waterloo and Laurier so I can't really say about Queens. My passions pretty much apply to both private and public sector work so its more of a funding issue for me.  

However, if you're looking for more private sector I would definitely say Laurier as the program boasts a connection with the CIGI think tank and seems to be more of a humanitarian focused program. I've looked at some of the researchers and it seems that a lot of their research could relate to private sector initiatives where as the co-op at Waterloo seems to be very public sector focused and driven. That's just my opinion and I'm sure either program could be very useful.

13 hours ago, single_dollar said:

I feel you. My current work is also in external relations and policy, and I spoke to a significant policy project in my Statement of Intent as well, along with other relevant work in intergovernmental relations and communications and 2 additional professional certifications I earned in 2019. So baffled as to what they're looking for. Is everyone who received an offer in their 40's with 20 years experience in 2+ levels of government and a 4.0 GPA from back in the 90's? Truly this is what it seems like.

Last year when I received feedback on my previous application I was informed the acceptance rate was 15%, and I know they received more applications this year so would guess it is in the 8-10% range this year. So you're in great company with your rejection. 

For everyone that applied to only UVIC this year. That was me last year. Think about it for a few months to be sure it's what you really want, ask the admissions team for feedback, and apply again next year to multiple schools. Grateful I didn't overlook USask and get to start in September. Good luck! 

Honestly it is starting to seem that way - everyone has 20+ years of government experience and a 4.0 GPA.. You sound like a really talented applicant with loads of relevant experience. It is a UVIC‘a loss and congrats for getting into U of Sask! I should have applied to more schools and now I definitely will next year.

I really thought I had a chance this year and now I am laughing at myself for being so naive! I emailed UVIC yesterday to ask for feedback on my application and haven’t received a response - I imagine it will be a generic email with not much detail which leaves me in the dark further. Sigh.

15 hours ago, ddtg said:

Hi

If your goal is private sector/NGO work, I would probably not go to Waterloo. The MPS is very much a public service feeder program. Something like 95 percent of the graduates work in government. Out of a cohort of 40-50, only 2 or 3 end up private sector.

On 4/11/2021 at 11:52 AM, ThisGirl said:

I just got my rejection this morning ☹️

It just says “not competitive to the other applicants” so I’ve emailed to ask for more feedback. I have a pretty solid GPA, good work experience, had stellar letters of recommendation. So either there’s something missing in my work experience or I just didn’t sell myself hard enough in my letter. Which, boo. 

Now to decide if I will wait and try again next year or shift to another online MPA like UofSask or Dalhousie. 

I am so sorry to hear this @ThisGirl - I have to admit that I was shocked I got in as well, and it was also my second time applying to the UVic MPA program. I've been there, I know how you feel and I can sincerely say don't give up. 

On 4/12/2021 at 8:14 AM, single_dollar said:

I also received my rejection to the UVIC MPA Online this morning. I'm mid career (in my early 30's) with 8 years relevant experience (5 gov and 3 non-profit), a high UGPA, additional professional certifications, excellent references (I saw their letters) and a very solid statement of intent. I was also rejected last year so asked for feedback, of which they gave minimal, and applied again, only to be rejected again. I only applied to Uvic last year but also applied to USask this year, and I did get in back in Feb. 

If you decide to apply to USask next year, do so early! They are only accepting 20-25 students each year for the program so it is becoming more competitive than in previous years. 

Sorry to hear this as well! You are actually the poster that made me log-in as we were on the same boat! I hope you go to USask, my sister-in-law is a prof at the School of Public Policy, sounds like their online program is promising! 

On 4/12/2021 at 8:25 AM, Matcha-Tea said:

Me too.. got my rejection this morning. I know, it’s not the end of the world but I did have a few tears. This past year has been one of the worst and I was really hoping for this to be a bright light for me. I have no idea what they (UVic) is looking for to be honest. 

So sorry to hear this! @Matcha-Tea - in my mind we were already classmates! :( 

Perhaps we can get together once covid-19 is done and have a chat. I hope you continue trying and applying again next year. An MPA paired up with experience at the Ministry of Health I imagine would be invaluable! Don't give up! ?

51 minutes ago, mars_maa said:

I am so sorry to hear this @ThisGirl - I have to admit that I was shocked I got in as well, and it was also my second time applying to the UVic MPA program. I've been there, I know how you feel and I can sincerely say don't give up. 

Thanks for the good energy! Anything you changed from last year to this year that you think might have helped? Different credentials? Better letter?

On 4/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, newbie2020 said:

I know how you feel. I was rejected from Carleton last week officially after being on the “waitlist”. Unfortunately, this year was a weird year to apply for grad school :(. There was at least a 30% increase in applications due to the pandemic! I’ve heard that a lot of people who would have normally gotten in under normal circumstances would be disappointed this year. I would say try again or gain that work experience need to get you to the next level! Don’t get discourage, definitely try again :)

That’s helpful, thanks! I bet there was a lot of interest this year. 

23 hours ago, single_dollar said:

I don’t know much about the USask program. Is it well-regarded? Any special features? I’m in BC so I know UVic comes highly regarded from my colleagues and is also a good networking opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, Oknight said:

For those of you who got into Queen's MPA, what were the conditions you got on your formal offer? Also, is the gpa you got accepted with lower than a B+?

I had no conditions on my formal offer. My Cumulative GPA was a B and Last 2 years of GPA was a B+

2 hours ago, residenttomalito said:

Congrats to everyone who has received an offer for 2021 Fall! Does anyone know how to decline your offer from Munk School of Public Policy?

ACORN maybe? Also congrats on getting in. When did u hear from them. Im still waiting. 

Edited by ddtg

2 hours ago, residenttomalito said:

Congrats to everyone who has received an offer for 2021 Fall! Does anyone know how to decline your offer from Munk School of Public Policy?

There should be a form you sign and send to the admissions office via email! Best of luck in your future! :)