MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Currently processing one of my MFA interviews and am so confused and a little bit disappointed. If anyone can add insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I had 3 panelists who asked me about the first piece of my artwork, which I dutifully replied. I had previously shared a private portfolio link with a list of my art. Unfortunately, when I started to explain, the panelists seemed quite confused and unsure of which artwork I was talking about, and one of them asked for the link to be resent. Then, they also proceeded to ask about a different mural I did (on the homepage of my website/not included in my portfolio), which is completely unrelated to my portfolio. I should have stopped them right then and there to ask if they had the correct link, but felt like a deer in the headlights and just kind of went with it. 

Anyone have this kind of mishap? Or is it totally normal?

2 minutes ago, dinkywinks said:

Currently processing one of my MFA interviews and am so confused and a little bit disappointed. If anyone can add insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I had 3 panelists who asked me about the first piece of my artwork, which I dutifully replied. I had previously shared a private portfolio link with a list of my art. Unfortunately, when I started to explain, the panelists seemed quite confused and unsure of which artwork I was talking about, and one of them asked for the link to be resent. Then, they also proceeded to ask about a different mural I did (on the homepage of my website/not included in my portfolio), which is completely unrelated to my portfolio. I should have stopped them right then and there to ask if they had the correct link, but felt like a deer in the headlights and just kind of went with it. 

Anyone have this kind of mishap? Or is it totally normal?

What college was this and what program

Oxford + Interdisc/Painting

Ok so this hasn't happened to me but from what I assume, its quite possible for this to happen to a lot of people. Frankly if you feel like you did an adequate job of explaining your works, no matter if they were included in your portfolio or not, you should be fine. I would still suggest, if you feel anxious, for you to drop them a thank you mail in a day or so and thank them genuinely for their time

Just now, dramallama_07 said:

Ok so this hasn't happened to me but from what I assume, its quite possible for this to happen to a lot of people. Frankly if you feel like you did an adequate job of explaining your works, no matter if they were included in your portfolio or not, you should be fine. I would still suggest, if you feel anxious, for you to drop them a thank you mail in a day or so and thank them genuinely for their time

Eek I hope so. And yes, I've sent them a thank you letter right after the interview and will email the grad app coordinator, just to clarify if this affects the process at all. It just all happens in a blur!

Eek I hope so. And yes, I've sent them a thank you letter right after the interview and will email the grad app coordinator, just to clarify if this affects the process at all. It just all happens in a blur!

This reminds me, I haven't mailed any of the interviewers after my interviews. Makes me think if its a necessary practice...

Just now, dramallama_07 said:

This reminds me, I haven't mailed any of the interviewers after my interviews. Makes me think if its a necessary practice...

I've read somewhere in the previous forums that its good ol' professionalism, as you would with any other job interview (although mind you, I'm guilty...).  I didn't know either until I read the post!

Just now, dinkywinks said:

I've read somewhere in the previous forums that its good ol' professionalism, as you would with any other job interview (although mind you, I'm guilty...).  I didn't know either until I read the post!

Oh shit. I'm already late I guess. I had an interview on 2nd and then one on the 4th

17 hours ago, katfude said:

Also-- have you by chance been able to get into the TUportal? I am a bit confused by the varying emails directing me to either the application page portal or the official TUportal that I do not believe I was prompted to make an account for.. 

I think most or all departments at Tyler have finished interviews, but not sure. I only know Painting and Ceramics have interviewed for certain. I was also confused about how to get into the TUportal, and I chatted with the Temple IT folks, who helps me activate my account. It was quick and easy. ? 

Does anyone know anything about the USC Roski MFA Art program? I know it had a drop in rank/prestige a few years ago. I applied as one of my backups and I don't know anything about their process. The slideroom/portfolio part of the app was due mid january but the other part was due feb 1st (or maybe the other way around...I can't remember right now) so I am not expecting a response right now but I was just wondering if anyone knows if they even interview? 

2 minutes ago, katfude said:

BU just sent out sculpture program interviews~

Congrats!!! Also, that's so interesting, when I asked about interviews they said it wasn't customary unless you were a potential fellowship/stipend candidate. Maybe painting is different than sculpture, not sure...

4 minutes ago, Paintyface said:

Congrats!!! Also, that's so interesting, when I asked about interviews they said it wasn't customary unless you were a potential fellowship/stipend candidate. Maybe painting is different than sculpture, not sure...

Oh wow-- that is really interesting I haven't heard that before. Has anyone ever interviewed with BU and remember any of their questions? 

On 2/4/2021 at 11:22 AM, vitbit said:

How recently did you hear from New Mexico and Arizona? Did they email or did you have to check the portal?

I received a direct email from both programs about 2 weeks ago now. This is my first application round so I'm not super familiar with timelines or how all this stuff works to be honest.