MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

36 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Yes... one of the reasons for Yale being such as a mover and shaker is that people from all walks of life enter into the program. That is a huge bonus for me when I apply next fall. Living here in Utah is completely torture culturally for me. It's just a bunch of mostly white pro-Trump folks here. Very inspirational for my cynical political art but I cannot sustain that forever.

I plan to keep my house here but I will have to get a second studio/apartment in either NYC/LA. As a conceptual artist, I have no future in Utah unless some miracle is wrought. Yale and UCLA offer relatively radical programs that fits in with my neo-Marxist, pretty left-wing Muslim/Sufist belief systems.

That’s what Georgia is like as well. And all the schools I’ve attended are Pro-Trump or either pro white supremacy and I’ve never gotten along with any of them and always kept my distance mostly because I was terrified since we came to the US the year after 9/11. I’ve been rejected from countless jobs bc of my color and my background so I’m more than glad that these schools hold morals and accept individuals of all backgrounds unlike SO many other. I don’t even have friends from HS- so I’m actually more than looking forward to attending art school where I can build relationships and grow as an individual which will allow my talents/art to grow as well. 

and I’ve heard so many exceptional things about Yale’s diverse groups and have seen it as well on their Instagram/website and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the diversity. It’s my favourite thing about the program. Also, the staff is also extremely diverse and talented. I heard Anoka Faruqee was part of the Yale team and I’ve loved her art growing up- especially since she has a Bengali background because I felt like I could relate to her.

Also, omg are you Muslim? 

Edited by NoraEllie

32 minutes ago, NoraEllie said:

That’s what Georgia is like as well. And all the schools I’ve attended are Pro-Trump or either pro white supremacy and I’ve never gotten along with any of them and always kept my distance mostly because I was terrified since we came to the US the year after 9/11. I’ve been rejected from countless jobs bc of my color and my background so I’m more than glad that these schools hold morals and accept individuals of all backgrounds unlike SO many other. I don’t even have friends from HS- so I’m actually more than looking forward to attending art school where I can build relationships and grow as an individual which will allow my talents/art to grow as well. 

and I’ve heard so many exceptional things about Yale’s diverse groups and have seen it as well on their Instagram/website and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the diversity. It’s my favourite thing about the program. Also, the staff is also extremely diverse and talented. I heard Anoka Faruqee was part of the Yale team and I’ve loved her art growing up- especially since she has a Bengali background because I felt like I could relate to her.

Also, omg are you Muslim? 

yes a recent convert to the faith.

Since Yale acceptances are out, I will be celebrating by kicking off some music off the last rap album I heard while I was at Yale back in 1999-2001 for public health. The dayz of waywayback.

Just now, NoraEllie said:

That’s amazing! I am too!! 

That's impressive. A lot of my art has pretty obscure references to Islamic (Nation of Islam/5%) rap references/songs, mainstream Sunni concepts, and postmodern Sufism... especially in my latest sculptures and installations. Cool I am glad to meet another Muslim here :)

4 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

That's impressive. A lot of my art has pretty obscure references to Islamic (Nation of Islam/5%) rap references/songs, mainstream Sunni concepts, and postmodern Sufism... especially in my latest sculptures and installations. Cool I am glad to meet another Muslim here :)

I’m still experimenting with color but my portfolio right now consists of Sufism and Islam, overall! Likewise! So cool to meet another muslim on here. 
Would love to see your art one day!! 

Edited by NoraEllie

Just now, NoraEllie said:

I’m still experimenting with color but my portfolio right now consists of Sufism and Islam, overall! Likewise! So cool to meet another muslim on here. 
Would love to see your art one day!! 

All of my art can be found here at https://albertabdulbarrwang.art/ (doesn't have everything yet).

16 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Thanks :)... do you have a website which I can check out? :)

Yes!! All my work isn’t on view on there due to wanting some privacy while applying to programs and of course copyright purposes when it comes to ideas- I will feel more comfortable to share all my work once accepted into a program! :) 

Edited by NoraEllie

1 minute ago, NoraEllie said:

Yes!! It’s Mahnoorspallart.com ! All my work isn’t on view on there due to wanting some privacy while applying to programs and of course copyright purposes when it comes to ideas- I will feel more comfortable to share all my work once accepted into a program! :) 

Quite kick ass indeed :) I think that I will PM you off-site about your art :). (Meanwhile check out https://www.baseerakhanstudios.com/ who is a very brilliant Muslim artist.)

3 minutes ago, NoraEllie said:

Thank you so much and awesome!! 
thank you for sharing- her work is so unique and inspirational! 

Sweet, I just sent you a message via your website as well :) woot

2 hours ago, lizavetar96 said:

Do you know how big Tulane’s cohort this year is? I applied for Photo but they never got back to me so I assume it is no interview and a rejection obviously. 
i also thought that UW also gives full ride and some sort of a stipend, no?

The cohort for painting this year is one person, so me if I accept ?. UW gives great funding too so I need to reach out and pressure them into an official financial offer. 
Goldsmiths is tempting but I just always believed prestige didn’t matter unless it is Yale.  That is simplistic I know, but it’s the attitude I’ve held for a while. I wanted funding or Yale. You can’t always get what you want...  I got funding. 

2 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

Your rejection is extremely shocking to me because your work is exceptional and extremely detailed. Also, I recall you saying that you have a BS- did they ask you anything about that? And how did the interview go?

Anyways, their loss. Keep hustling. 

?

Aww thank you so much! The support is so appreciated honestly.  The interview was extremely friendly and easy and they didn’t give any indication of not liking my bs so ?‍♀️.  I’m trying to count myself lucky to have choices and all that Jazz. Yale is always a shot in the dark no matter how good you are. And I’m complete shit, self taught realism nonsense lol.  

5 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

Aww thank you so much! The support is so appreciated honestly.  The interview was extremely friendly and easy and they didn’t give any indication of not liking my bs so ?‍♀️.  I’m trying to count myself lucky to have choices and all that Jazz. Yale is always a shot in the dark no matter how good you are. And I’m complete shit, self taught realism nonsense lol.  

I honestly loved your art- it was beautiful! Good luck with your decision on the school you’ll be choosing- any of them would be lucky to have you. And thank you for some insight on your interview! :) 

2 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Yale is pretty conceptually driven and less about the perfection of craftsmanship... also their painting/printmaking dept wants to emphasize intersectionality so they like to keep a racially/culturally/sexual diverse group. Perfect drawings rendered in the academic style is going to be a huge no for that program.

I mean I can’t hardly be painting in the academic style because I’m self taught? I also am painting mostly about mental illness and feminism which is somewhat along the lines of what they like I think. I applied mostly because I wanted to work with Meloko. And I’m obsessed with Currin. Beyond that isn’t goldsmiths waaaay more known for conceptual work? And I got in there. It’s hard to know exactly what happens with any specific place...
But anyway it’s just a tricky program in my opinion. There were only 12 spots and a lot of applicants. And it’s easy to idealize that program as the only one.

Congrats to everyone who got it! And for everyone who didn’t, focus on the good offers you have. Life is random and complicated.  A Yale rejection could always turn out to be a blessing in disguise 

10 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

I mean I can’t hardly be painting in the academic style because I’m self taught? I also am painting mostly about mental illness and feminism which is somewhat along the lines of what they like I think. I applied mostly because I wanted to work with Meloko. And I’m obsessed with Currin. Beyond that isn’t goldsmiths waaaay more known for conceptual work? And I got in there. It’s hard to know exactly what happens with any specific place...
But anyway it’s just a tricky program in my opinion. There were only 12 spots and a lot of applicants. And it’s easy to idealize that program as the only one.

Congrats to everyone who got it! And for everyone who didn’t, focus on the good offers you have. Life is random and complicated.  A Yale rejection could always turn out to be a blessing in disguise 

OMG, I love Mokgosi’s work but Faruqee is still my all time favourite with her colors and technique. Mokgosi’s paintings have beautiful symbolism and meaning; every object compliments another so eloquently. 

It may just have been! Best of luck to your future endeavors. I follow you on Instagram so I can’t wait to see more pieces of yours. ?

33 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

The cohort for painting this year is one person, so me if I accept ?. UW gives great funding too so I need to reach out and pressure them into an official financial offer. 
Goldsmiths is tempting but I just always believed prestige didn’t matter unless it is Yale.  That is simplistic I know, but it’s the attitude I’ve held for a while. I wanted funding or Yale. You can’t always get what you want...  I got funding. 

I think Tulane would be so interesting! New Orleans is such a special place with a really strong film and DIY creative scene. Also Prospect Triennial is this year, so it’s a great time to be there and network!

Anybody else that’s waitlisted... how are you feeling about it? What are the chances?  When I look back at past forums it seems like people definitely get in later, but for top programs like Yale and RISD, does it happen? 

2 hours ago, wambam said:

Anybody else that’s waitlisted... how are you feeling about it? What are the chances?  When I look back at past forums it seems like people definitely get in later, but for top programs like Yale and RISD, does it happen? 

yea i got waitlisted too : / kind of hard to imagine someone getting in and NOT going. But i do remember meeting a first year in one of the zoom things that mentioned getting in from the waitlist so i guess it does happen.... im not very optimistic and waiting longer is rough

i really thought I was ready to be rejected and go to risd instead but now for some reason I am more invested than before, like should i literally wait a whole year to apply again..?

feels bad lol. also in the status update all the 'maybe you would have been a first round acceptance in a normal year' like ok does not make it feel better! thanks tho!

1 hour ago, hello this is said:

yea i got waitlisted too : / kind of hard to imagine someone getting in and NOT going. But i do remember meeting a first year in one of the zoom things that mentioned getting in from the waitlist so i guess it does happen.... im not very optimistic and waiting longer is rough

i really thought I was ready to be rejected and go to risd instead but now for some reason I am more invested than before, like should i literally wait a whole year to apply again..?

feels bad lol. also in the status update all the 'maybe you would have been a first round acceptance in a normal year' like ok does not make it feel better! thanks tho!

Yale waitlisted here : (

and same, the letter makes me wondering if it's not for the deferrals I might just get in? (also when I just checked this morning 'maybe you would have been a first round acceptance in a normal year' disappeared? Do they edit the letter after they sent out? )

Also I somehow thought all the people got interview but did not get in the first round will be waitlisted but seems there're people got rejected?