MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

6 hours ago, Scrambledmegs said:

I mean I can’t hardly be painting in the academic style because I’m self taught? I also am painting mostly about mental illness and feminism which is somewhat along the lines of what they like I think. I applied mostly because I wanted to work with Meloko. And I’m obsessed with Currin. Beyond that isn’t goldsmiths waaaay more known for conceptual work? And I got in there. It’s hard to know exactly what happens with any specific place...
But anyway it’s just a tricky program in my opinion. There were only 12 spots and a lot of applicants. And it’s easy to idealize that program as the only one.

Congrats to everyone who got it! And for everyone who didn’t, focus on the good offers you have. Life is random and complicated.  A Yale rejection could always turn out to be a blessing in disguise 

Academic painting does not refer to whether you were self-taught or not actually. It is a reference to your approach of visual ontology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_art

If you are doing very realistic art which NYAA likes, then typically Yale does not want that. And yes, Currin is very much in that vein. Also Currin isn't favored much by the Yale cohorts as he is being seen as white privileged, old fashioned, very male oriented and just mostly sexist today.

6 hours ago, NoraEllie said:

OMG, I love Mokgosi’s work but Faruqee is still my all time favourite with her colors and technique. Mokgosi’s paintings have beautiful symbolism and meaning; every object compliments another so eloquently. 

It may just have been! Best of luck to your future endeavors. I follow you on Instagram so I can’t wait to see more pieces of yours. ?

Goldsmith really likes academic painting which is conceptual and Currin is much better liked over in Europe than here atm. Currin lost a lot of favored points during the #Metoo era and a lot of contemporary art folks in the US frown even more if a female artist dug Currin ;o.

1 hour ago, hello this is said:

yea i got waitlisted too : / kind of hard to imagine someone getting in and NOT going. But i do remember meeting a first year in one of the zoom things that mentioned getting in from the waitlist so i guess it does happen.... im not very optimistic and waiting longer is rough

i really thought I was ready to be rejected and go to risd instead but now for some reason I am more invested than before, like should i literally wait a whole year to apply again..?

feels bad lol. also in the status update all the 'maybe you would have been a first round acceptance in a normal year' like ok does not make it feel better! thanks tho!

Yea, I'm with you. 

I'm wait listed as well. Seems to make a short term decision even more complex, as waitlist makes for a compelling reason to re-apply next year, an option I was not really contemplating weeks ago. 

I think it's important to remember that wait list is still a huge accomplishment, and a big validation.

Take time to soak it in and one step at a time!  

43 minutes ago, too sober to draw said:

Yale waitlisted here : (

and same, the letter makes me wondering if it's not for the deferrals I might just get in? (also when I just checked this morning 'maybe you would have been a first round acceptance in a normal year' disappeared? Do they edit the letter after they sent out? )

Also I somehow thought all the people got interview but did not get in the first round will be waitlisted but seems there're people got rejected? 

Can't imagine what it must feel like. ?

oh I also somehow assumed people who weren't able to make it into the final cohort are automatically placed on the waitlist if they interviewed...

Does it just say in the letter that you "have been placed on the waitlist"? 

Edited by Bluebluepie

7 hours ago, Scrambledmegs said:

The cohort for painting this year is one person, so me if I accept ?. UW gives great funding too so I need to reach out and pressure them into an official financial offer. 
Goldsmiths is tempting but I just always believed prestige didn’t matter unless it is Yale.  That is simplistic I know, but it’s the attitude I’ve held for a while. I wanted funding or Yale. You can’t always get what you want...  I got funding. 

Maybe I assumed wrong but I always thought that UW gives out full funding + stipend?.. (maybe I am wrong...) 

can I ask if/why you did not apply to UCLA?

(we just seemed to apply to similar schools)

24 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Goldsmith really likes academic painting which is conceptual and Currin is much better liked over in Europe than here atm. Currin lost a lot of favored points during the #Metoo era and a lot of contemporary art folks in the US frown even more if a female artist dug Currin ;o.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/visual-arts/2019/11/17/can-a-white-male-painter-create-feminist-work-john-currin-has-long-tackled-metoo-themes/%3foutputType=amp

I definitely think there is a strong defense for him as a feminist painter.  They seemed very happy when I talked about Currin honestly. I doubt I was rejected for my politics lol. I also just think it’s impossible to know. What they are looking for changes on any given year depending on the cohort. 

30 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Also, I don’t mean to be argumentative  but I think if those things were that much of a problem they wouldn’t have interviewed me. I mentioned Currin in my statement.  At this point I think it’s unhealthy for me to speculate in those ways. I’m happy for the lovely peoples that have that opportunity and I happen to have different opportunities. The interview itself was an honor ?

6 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/visual-arts/2019/11/17/can-a-white-male-painter-create-feminist-work-john-currin-has-long-tackled-metoo-themes/%3foutputType=amp

I definitely think there is a strong defense for him as a feminist painter.  They seemed very happy when I talked about Currin honestly. I doubt I was rejected for my politics lol. I also just think it’s impossible to know. What they are looking for changes on any given year depending on the cohort. 

I can agree with that but art criticism of Currin has shifted dramatically from the 1990's and 2000's until now. Currin's type of feminism (of which some womxn artist are uncomfortable with) has been seen now to be tied to upper class white female type of empowerment which is a huge no-no in the art world trends today. The feminism now is more radical and tied to queer, trans, and BIPOC politics and not a roundtable of predominant a white-driven political movement. Contrast https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/visual-arts/2019/11/17/can-a-white-male-painter-create-feminist-work-john-currin-has-long-tackled-metoo-themes/ (in a Dallas newpaper) versus https://www.interviewmagazine.com/art/john-currin-marc-jacobs-conversation-painting-men-me-too.

I really love Currin's work but sadly enough his work has been losing trend popularity in the LA/NY art scenes. I suspect in 10-20 years we will see a resurgence of his work being analyzed after the #Metoo movement is not fashionable.

26 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I can agree with that but art criticism of Currin has shifted dramatically from the 1990's and 2000's until now. Currin's type of feminism (of which some womxn artist are uncomfortable with) has been seen now to be tied to upper class white female type of empowerment which is a huge no-no in the art world trends today. The feminism now is more radical and tied to queer, trans, and BIPOC politics and not a roundtable of predominant a white-driven political movement. Contrast https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/visual-arts/2019/11/17/can-a-white-male-painter-create-feminist-work-john-currin-has-long-tackled-metoo-themes/ (in a Dallas newpaper) versus https://www.interviewmagazine.com/art/john-currin-marc-jacobs-conversation-painting-men-me-too.

I really love Currin's work but sadly enough his work has been losing trend popularity in the LA/NY art scenes. I suspect in 10-20 years we will see a resurgence of his work being analyzed after the #Metoo movement is not fashionable.

Look, I think @scrambledmegs is upset (I would be too if I did bot get into my top choice school after a rigorous interview process) and I think it is best to put this discussion to rest. 

Edited by lizavetar96

20 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

It is amazing that you got an interview. And I'm sorry that you ultimately didn't receive an offer. and I do agree (and most of my profs have said) that at a certain point it doesn't matter if they really like your work/interview you might not just fit with the shape of the cohort. but of course I can't imagine what it is like to get so far and then receive a rejection. But congrats on your interview and your other fully funded offers!

34 minutes ago, Bluebluepie said:

Can't imagine what it must feel like. ?

oh I also somehow assumed people who weren't able to make it into the final cohort are automatically placed on the waitlist if they interviewed...

Does it just say in the letter that you "have been placed on the waitlist"? 

this is how they wrote: "The faculty committee reviewed their interview with you favorably, though they have placed you on the wait list for Fall 2021."

and also wow I just found out this forum today!!! How come i never discovered this place haha.

41 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Maybe I assumed wrong but I always thought that UW gives out full funding + stipend?.. (maybe I am wrong...) 

can I ask if/why you did not apply to UCLA?

(we just seemed to apply to similar schools)

I think you might be right but they aren’t completely explicit like Tulane is.  It is funny how many similar places we applied! But in different departments obviously.
I’m not a huge fan of California honestly. That probably seems very fickle but that’s why. I also just had to stop somewhere! 

Thanks for the support btw. Probably not the time for me to speculate on my disappointing news. 
It would be neat if we ultimately end up in the same place. ?

18 minutes ago, theundoing said:

It is amazing that you got an interview. And I'm sorry that you ultimately didn't receive an offer. and I do agree (and most of my profs have said) that at a certain point it doesn't matter if they really like your work/interview you might not just fit with the shape of the cohort. but of course I can't imagine what it is like to get so far and then receive a rejection. But congrats on your interview and your other fully funded offers!

Thank you for the kind words!

7 minutes ago, too sober to draw said:

this is how they wrote: "The faculty committee reviewed their interview with you favorably, though they have placed you on the wait list for Fall 2021."

and also wow I just found out this forum today!!! How come i never discovered this place haha.

Congrats to those on the waitlist! Although that’s such a tough place to be if other schools are pressuring you to make decisions. I hope you get in! 

6 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

I think you might be right but they aren’t completely explicit like Tulane is.  It is funny how many similar places we applied! But in different departments obviously.
I’m not a huge fan of California honestly. That probably seems very fickle but that’s why. I also just had to stop somewhere! 

Thanks for the support btw. Probably not the time for me to speculate on my disappointing news. 
It would be neat if we ultimately end up in the same place. ?

Yeah, when I spoke with UW faculty they told me that in the “previous years” the cohort received full funding and stipend but the website is super wishy washy about this (and pandemic might change how much $$ university receives or whatever). 
i am very much hoping UW gives me a green light as I crave that funding at this point more than anything else (and yeah I would love if we end up in the same school). 
But good things about Tulane and UW is that they give you teaching opportunities which I think is a good experience to gain for potential jobs etc. 
are you going to talk to alumni of these universities? I find that it is incredibly enlightening as sometimes they can tell you things or people in the program to avoid. 

11 minutes ago, PlzTakeME said:

Congratulations! When and how did you hear about it?

Thank you! I got it in mail last week and got an email from them a couple of days ago. I think they call accepted students. The department chair emailed me that he tried calling me. 

8 minutes ago, too sober to draw said:

Thank you so much for sharing! It's useful to know. ? Also it's remarkable that you were offered an interview. Crossing fingers for you! 

Haha same here. A lot of helpful info! 

9 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

Congrats to those on the waitlist! Although that’s such a tough place to be if other schools are pressuring you to make decisions. I hope you get in! 

Thank you so much! hope you also get into the program you like! 

Gonna start thinking about reapplying for the next year...

1 hour ago, lizavetar96 said:

Yeah, when I spoke with UW faculty they told me that in the “previous years” the cohort received full funding and stipend but the website is super wishy washy about this (and pandemic might change how much $$ university receives or whatever). 
i am very much hoping UW gives me a green light as I crave that funding at this point more than anything else (and yeah I would love if we end up in the same school). 
But good things about Tulane and UW is that they give you teaching opportunities which I think is a good experience to gain for potential jobs etc. 
are you going to talk to alumni of these universities? I find that it is incredibly enlightening as sometimes they can tell you things or people in the program to avoid. 

Agree with all of the above! I love the teaching possibilities as well. I hope you hear soon! May I ask how you got in touch with alums? That’s something I haven’t done yet but I think it would be really valuable. 

12 minutes ago, Scrambledmegs said:

Agree with all of the above! I love the teaching possibilities as well. I hope you hear soon! May I ask how you got in touch with alums? That’s something I haven’t done yet but I think it would be really valuable. 

So I got in touch with the alums only from SVA (as  it is the only place I got accepted to yet) but what I did is asked the graduate adviser to link me to the alums and they immediately gave me their emails. I think if you ask the same fron UW, Tulane and Goldsmiths faculty they will be happy to oblige. (Alternatively you can find the alums whose work you like from the alum catalogues on the universities websites, but who knows if they will reply in time etc.)