MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

28 minutes ago, theundoing said:

I think the context has been removed from the original conversation. I thought the conversation was about the question of is a super expensive MFA worth the cost? To me that is where it is very important to be frank about how much of the moneyed artworld operates. Residencies are amazing but they won't pay off your six figure debt. If someone is trying to balance the cost of a pricey MFA they should know that some programs give you more artworld lotto tickets to sell your work for real money vs. others. Of course this can all change and I hope it changes but....I kinda think the days where an artist could be discovered while working as an art handler or partying in the LES are behind us. If you want want to do an MFA because you love being in the studio and love being in conversation with other artists that is also great but then it seems that an artist should prioritize fully funded or well funded programs. I think it is admirable that your residency looks at the work first but that is not always the case. I don't think it is ethical to tell prospectives that they can just go ahead and take on six figures of debt outside of a top 5 school because the work is the most important. 

I don't find @SocialKonstruct to be self promoting ...more trying to connect. But I'm biased because I asked for help with my images and him and one other person on this forum volunteered to meet with me and chat about my portfolio and images.

Thanks. Honestly not interested at all in self-promotion. Just trying to chill, make friends here, maybe help whatever I can, occasionally gossip, and learn more about what the MFA process is going to be like. I plan as a conceptual artist to make my MFA journey into a work of art which is going to be very interesting. Not sure what the results will be. Maybe risky?

I don't want to do into more debt over a MFA (as I still owe a lotta money from my previous degree) but I do want to make friends and still have a modicum of success in the contemporary art world. I am not suggesting everyone follow what I do because it's an individual thing. Maybe I will put a huge disclaimer on whatever I post here. Take me with a huge grain of salt. Just one artist in a pond of fish here :)

51 minutes ago, Hphphphp said:

Funny you say that, a good friend of mine worked as his assistant for 6 months after college and she hated every single second of it. She says he was incredibly exploitative, inconsiderate, mean and overall a terrible terrible boss. I met him once and he seemed *very* performative, not a very  authentic person

Now you got my ears perked up because I was seriously looking at UIC for Laura Letinsky and him specifically... Going to definitely PM you about this because this would be huge for my decision here. Thanks for the scoop.

Message to artists who do not have generational wealth: 

Think of the mfa like a 2 year intellectual vacation. If you are prepared to step out of the work place, pay tuition and living costs for 2 years for 0 'career' return by all means dive in head first. While I believe all artists deserve this, the MFA in its current state is a ponzi scheme and you are currently at the bottom layer. These programs are on the verge of closure because they DO rely on international students to pay full tuition.  If you aspire to be an art professor, thats not a job its a volunteer position (see 20K a year). The aspirational art world really ended in 2008 and now with Covid, NYC lost 66% of jobs in the arts. The 'art world,' a very modern invention, is and always has been modeled on exploitation. See this IG for an accurate view into this scene. The ruling class depends on a supply of exploitable cultural workers for their fun hobby and thats what tuition dependent MFA programs provide.

https://www.instagram.com/cancelartgalleries/?hl=en

https://hyperallergic.com/624669/two-thirds-of-new-york-citys-arts-and-recreation-jobs-have-been-lost-to-the-pandemic/

7 minutes ago, MFA Troll said:

Message to artists who do not have generational wealth: 

Think of the mfa like a 2 year intellectual vacation. If you are prepared to step out of the work place, pay tuition and living costs for 2 years for 0 'career' return by all means dive in head first. While I believe all artists deserve this, the MFA in its current state is a ponzi scheme and you are currently at the bottom layer. These programs are on the verge of closure because they DO rely on international students to pay full tuition.  If you aspire to be an art professor, thats not a job its a volunteer position (see 20K a year). The aspirational art world really ended in 2008 and now with Covid, NYC lost 66% of jobs in the arts. The 'art world,' a very modern invention, is and always has been modeled on exploitation. See this IG for an accurate view into this scene. The ruling class depends on a supply of exploitable cultural workers for their fun hobby and thats what tuition dependent MFA programs provide.

https://www.instagram.com/cancelartgalleries/?hl=en

https://hyperallergic.com/624669/two-thirds-of-new-york-citys-arts-and-recreation-jobs-have-been-lost-to-the-pandemic/

Very harsh take but it’s a good perspective for all of us to remind ourselves of now and then. 
Don’t the completely funded programs sort of disprove the theory though? A lot of people this year and every year are going to go get there mfa for free or be paid to do so. So considering that those opportunities exist in the first place, one could argue that it can’t possibly be a Ponzi scheme.  I think what you are saying CAN be true but is not necessarily true. 

Just now, Scrambledmegs said:

Very harsh take but it’s a good perspective for all of us to remind ourselves of now and then. 
Don’t the completely funded programs sort of disprove the theory though? A lot of people this year and every year are going to go get there mfa for free or be paid to do so. So considering that those opportunities exist in the first place, one could argue that it can’t possibly be a Ponzi scheme.  I think what you are saying CAN be true but is not necessarily true. 

Its not a literal ponzi scheme, and you will defiantly make friends....

1 minute ago, MFA Troll said:

Its not a literal ponzi scheme, and you will defiantly make friends....

I wasn’t trying to argue that it is or isn’t literal.  I’m just suggesting that it’s a bit too bleak of a take. Some people go get they’re mfa and are basically scammed. Many of us aren’t. The people on this forum aren’t very likely to be, because we are clearly all thinking very critically about what it means to get our mfa and how to do so in the way that best serves our practice and career. 
I like that you went there with it though. We need to consider even the harshest perspective. For example, for me personally, I think Goldsmiths could be bit of a scam. I would be an international student in a large program of arguable worth. And if any of the goldsmiths professors are lurking here ILY ILY don’t be mad sweetie baby pie. Y’all rule. 

On Friday, I got an email from Tyler basically saying that they were sorry that the admissions process was taking so long. They have a complicated process, and their have been delays, and they will share admissions decisions in the next 2-3 weeks. Did anyone else get this email?

On 3/6/2021 at 4:38 PM, feralpugface said:

Hey all,

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Anyone else get into MassArt for photo? I applied because I love Barbara Bosworth's work (but realized during the interview that she actually retired recently, whoops). Financially, it's a huge stretch for me. I definitely regret not applying to more programs (specifically CalArts w/ Jo Ann Callis, another big inspiration). This year was my first cycle, so I was just testing the waters. 

If anyone has any anecdotal info, please pass it along!

Hi! 

I did this in 2019, I applied to one school without a lot of research beforehand (ended up applying for something really weird and not even close to what I'm applying for now) and it was good experience for the next go-around the following year in 2020. I researched, called to meet with faculty and professors, stalked previous students' thesis exhibitions, sorted through visiting artist archives, etc. as research to find the program with the best fit. I still feel like there are so many other programs but after searching for a social practice + studio MFA hybrid from early Sept to Dec, I was ready. Take as much time as you need researching and don't be afraid to reach out to current students and current faculty. I got the best info from them. 

6 minutes ago, artnugget said:

On Friday, I got an email from Tyler basically saying that they were sorry that the admissions process was taking so long. They have a complicated process, and their have been delays, and they will share admissions decisions in the next 2-3 weeks. Did anyone else get this email?

I got the same email from the Dept Chair (Painting.) I emailed him late Wednesday asking about the status of application decisions and he replied on Friday with that same update. As previous posters have noted, I think Tyler likes to offer TAships and Fellowships that cover at the very least 50% tuition plus a few thousand dollars in stipend. My guess is that they are trying to find funding for the candidates they want to accept, and there might be a delay because of changes in funding (award amounts or nomination / application procedures or something like that.)

5 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I agree. My art practice right now in my BFA photography program has shifted a lot already. When I started school two years ago I wanted to be a photojournalist but now I am interested in social practice and conceptually constructed photography and sculpture. Theaster Gates is pretty awesome and I look to his example of how to conduct an ethical and thoughtful studio practice. Already he is helping out Chicago better and faster than the local politicians there who argue over how to reconstruct Chicago cultural centers.

Theaster Gates is amazing (from a Chicagoan)

Hey, guys, I have a question

i have an interview tomorrow at USC and allegedly it should be only 15 minutes. Should it be me or them who keeps the track of time? (Like can I go for more detailed, longer answers etc?)

also. Since I sent them my application I got a gallery exhibition and a festival showcase. I wonder if there is a way for me to mention those things without sounding like I am bragging? 

i appreciate any of your advice in advance. 

33 minutes ago, Killerdonuts said:

I got the same email from the Dept Chair (Painting.) I emailed him late Wednesday asking about the status of application decisions and he replied on Friday with that same update. As previous posters have noted, I think Tyler likes to offer TAships and Fellowships that cover at the very least 50% tuition plus a few thousand dollars in stipend. My guess is that they are trying to find funding for the candidates they want to accept, and there might be a delay because of changes in funding (award amounts or nomination / application procedures or something like that.)

I didn't get that email, or an interview, or an update on my application, or a notification that I was rejected. I'm so confused with Tyler right now, and frustrated that I am so much in the dark with this process. I'm literally waiting on an answer from them so I can start negotiating with my other offers. 

I'm still somewhat hopeful, although since I didn't get an interview I feel like it's a rejection. 

The printmaking department head did say they application process is really outdated and archaic, so nothing is easy for them with facilitating it. 

Has anyone else had radio silence with USC? I haven’t received an invitation to interview, I have not received a rejection or acceptance. I am so confused! Can anyone relate? ?

32 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I didn't get that email, or an interview, or an update on my application, or a notification that I was rejected. I'm so confused with Tyler right now, and frustrated that I am so much in the dark with this process. I'm literally waiting on an answer from them so I can start negotiating with my other offers. 

I'm still somewhat hopeful, although since I didn't get an interview I feel like it's a rejection. 

The printmaking department head did say they application process is really outdated and archaic, so nothing is easy for them with facilitating it. 

I interviewed with sculpture (the last week of February?? compared to painting mid January???) and did not receive that email, so it seems like each department is truly separate from each other and has completely different timelines and methods of communication. Not to mention, in previous years it seems like they had already sent out decisions by this time so maybe covid is just really throwing them through a loop.. are there any other tyler printmakers out there who have had interviews?

5 hours ago, theundoing said:

I think the context has been removed from the original conversation. I thought the conversation was about the question of is a super expensive MFA worth the cost? To me that is where it is very important to be frank about how much of the moneyed artworld operates. Residencies are amazing but they won't pay off your six figure debt. If someone is trying to balance the cost of a pricey MFA they should know that some programs give you more artworld lotto tickets to sell your work for real money vs. others. Of course this can all change and I hope it changes but....I kinda think the days where an artist could be discovered while working as an art handler or partying in the LES are behind us. If you want want to do an MFA because you love being in the studio and love being in conversation with other artists that is also great but then it seems that an artist should prioritize fully funded or well funded programs. I think it is admirable that your residency looks at the work first but that is not always the case. I don't think it is ethical to tell prospectives that they can just go ahead and take on six figures of debt outside of a top 5 school because the work is the most important. 

I don't find @SocialKonstruct to be self promoting ...more trying to connect. But I'm biased because I asked for help with my images and him and one other person on this forum volunteered to meet with me and chat about my portfolio and images.

I 100% agree with this. I personally wouldn’t take on a school that costs over even 50K if it isn’t a top tier school. When it comes to schools I think many forget that known critiques and major museum staff visit these top tier school, only. It’s not always the case to look at the portfolio RIGHT away and only their work when it comes to choosing to represent an artist- the school actually matters a lot (from what I’ve seen). And yes, I second the telling perspective students to take on an immense amount of debt if it isn’t a top school because that can cause a loss of representation as many mainly want to represent students who are at the top tier schools (May not ALWAYS be the case at all but it usually is most of the time. It sucks that it works that way but it just does 95% of the time). 
I also think that @SocialKonstruct is trying to connect and help rather than demean/self promote. He also offered to help me with my portfolio a couple months back. 
At the end of the day we’re all trying to get to the same place so let’s continue to help one another! :) 

Edited by NoraEllie

I don't know if anyone will see this comment but I applied for 10 schools and I haven't gotten any interview invitations from any of them and I now have received 6 rejection letters. I haven't heard from Tyler, Columbia, MICA and Pratt ( not even interviews ). I think that means no grad schools for me? 

1 minute ago, sad face said:

I don't know if anyone will see this comment but I applied for 10 schools and I haven't gotten any interview invitations from any of them and I now have received 6 rejection letters. I haven't heard from Tyler, Columbia, MICA and Pratt ( not even interviews ). I think that means no grad schools for me? 

I am so sorry. I can’t imagine how frustrated and upset you are probably feeling. Please do not forget that this year there is a surge in applications and schools are accepting less people, so that is a factor too. 

1 minute ago, lizavetar96 said:

I am so sorry. I can’t imagine how frustrated and upset you are probably feeling. Please do not forget that this year there is a surge in applications and schools are accepting less people, so that is a factor too. 

Thanks for saying that.. I got that information on most of my rejection letters but I don't understand why there's more people applying this year. Do you know the reasons? I thought with COVID and everything there's supposed to be less people applying this year

5 minutes ago, sad face said:

Thanks for saying that.. I got that information on most of my rejection letters but I don't understand why there's more people applying this year. Do you know the reasons? I thought with COVID and everything there's supposed to be less people applying this year

I honestly have NO idea. It is a similar thing with film festivals (more people submitting films this years - how did they get funds to shoot them?!). I wish someone hear could give an answer as I am at sea

Edited by lizavetar96

1 minute ago, lizavetar96 said:

I honestly have NO idea. It is a similar thing with film festivals (more people submitting films this years - how did they get funds to shoot them?!). I wish someone hear could give an answer as I am at sea

A possible reason I could think of is that people thinks the same as I did that less people are applying so there's more chances of getting accepted this year. So if majority of people think this way then it's reasonable that more people are applying expecting to be accepted more easily? I don't know if I made myself clear but that's just a thought.

HEY ALL YOU CRAZY ART KIDS!!!

I just wanted to give a shout-out to the USC interviewees, this week. My interview is tomorrow, I believe there are moar on the 12th. Keep your heads up, no matter what happens, and do your best to elevate those up around you. I've seen some pretty weak minded comments on this thread regarding how some people view higher education, and others being annoying and know-it-alls about the art world. 

Fuck all that off, ya know? Don't listen. Live your own life and create your own experiences. Keep it positive and don't ever entertain someone's negativity or lameness or arrogance. Have FUN pursuing your art education, no matter where you go to skool!

So good wishes to @Strawberrycat to @lizavetar96 and @sunnydelightt. Can't wait to see all your posts about how well your interviews went.