MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

40 minutes ago, sad face said:

A possible reason I could think of is that people thinks the same as I did that less people are applying so there's more chances of getting accepted this year. So if majority of people think this way then it's reasonable that more people are applying expecting to be accepted more easily? I don't know if I made myself clear but that's just a thought.

Hey, so I have a sibling that's a professor, and she told me that when there's a drastic change in economy etc., people lose their jobs and decide that it's a good time to go back to school/have a career change thus a huge influx of applications. I was also warned of this last year by one of my profs when I turned down a few acceptances I couldn't afford, so I honestly think that might be the reason. I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time, and I hope things look up for you soon!! 

@SocialKonstructVous dites que vous parlez français. Lisez mon nom d'utilisateur. J'espère ardemment que vous ne commencerez pas le forum l'année prochaine. Pauvres petits agneaux!

He does not need defending. Please don’t act like we haven’t seen the demeaning, aggressive messages he posts every day non-stop before he edits them beyond recognition. People have been mostly ignoring it to see if the bullying will stop.

One clear example, putting down UNT and then editing ad nauseum to cover up his words. Have you any idea what an honor it is to be selected to interview at any funded program? I would have been proud of having a University of North Texas MFA degree. They have a wonderful program, their tuition rate is unbeatable, and the faculty is super caring. The place is beautiful and very safe. And funding is available. Same for places like Montana State, Boise State, Michigan State, IUPUI (awesome facilities and faculty!), and so many others! 

It is highly unprofessional to denigrate any program, professors, practicing artists, or applicant portfolios, using your name and website in a public forum with people who will be your future colleagues, residency directors, curators, etc. Try googling his name and see the mess that pops up from this forum. Do you know how many professors lurk on this website and see our websites, our names, and our words?

I was accepted at Yale, by the way. Good news for those of you on the waitlist.

1 hour ago, San Diego Stone said:

HEY ALL YOU CRAZY ART KIDS!!!

I just wanted to give a shout-out to the USC interviewees, this week. My interview is tomorrow, I believe there are moar on the 12th. Keep your heads up, no matter what happens, and do your best to elevate those up around you. I've seen some pretty weak minded comments on this thread regarding how some people view higher education, and others being annoying and know-it-alls about the art world. 

Fuck all that off, ya know? Don't listen. Live your own life and create your own experiences. Keep it positive and don't ever entertain someone's negativity or lameness or arrogance. Have FUN pursuing your art education, no matter where you go to skool!

So good wishes to @Strawberrycat to @lizavetar96 and @sunnydelightt. Can't wait to see all your posts about how well your interviews went. 

Thank you for your support! I am sure you are going to kill it. 
you deserve a spot in that program (AND a good financial aid package) greatly and I hope you get it. 
i hope after the interview is done we can chit chat about our experiences. 

56 minutes ago, Marre de toi said:

@SocialKonstructVous dites que vous parlez français. Lisez mon nom d'utilisateur. J'espère ardemment que vous ne commencerez pas le forum l'année prochaine. Pauvres petits agneaux!

He does not need defending. Please don’t act like we haven’t seen the demeaning, aggressive messages he posts every day non-stop before he edits them beyond recognition. People have been mostly ignoring it to see if the bullying will stop.

One clear example, putting down UNT and then editing ad nauseum to cover up his words. Have you any idea what an honor it is to be selected to interview at any funded program? I would have been proud of having a University of North Texas MFA degree. They have a wonderful program, their tuition rate is unbeatable, and the faculty is super caring. The place is beautiful and very safe. And funding is available. Same for places like Montana State, Boise State, Michigan State, IUPUI (awesome facilities and faculty!), and so many others! 

It is highly unprofessional to denigrate any program, professors, practicing artists, or applicant portfolios, using your name and website in a public forum with people who will be your future colleagues, residency directors, curators, etc. Try googling his name and see the mess that pops up from this forum. Do you know how many professors lurk on this website and see our websites, our names, and our words?

I didn’t see every single comment to assume everything was okay but I guess that was wrong on my part. We’re all mature enough to see if we did wrong/right. I was trying to create peace within this forum as were all just trying to help one another and put some advice out there but yes demeaning (if occurred) is in NO way okay or acceptable. I don’t think we were defending at all but more so creating peace. 
From the websites I’ve seen on here, gosh, every single one is so freaking talented. But in no way is it okay to demean a program if an individual has been accepted or is planning on pursuing a specific program. So  let’s all just try to remain professional and help one another as much as we can because as I said we all want to be somewhere we’ve always wanted to be and I’m glad I came on this forum because I met some amazing artists and have learned some pretty exceptional things through the advice everyone has given. ??

Also, congrats on your acceptance into Yale! What department were you accepted for? Also, have been slowly seeing the individuals who have been waiting to hear back from their schools. Congratulations to everyone who heard back and as I’ve said if you didn’t get the response you were hoping for continue to kick ass and just do you because success always comes from you doing what you love! 

Edited by NoraEllie

3 hours ago, katfude said:

I interviewed with sculpture (the last week of February?? compared to painting mid January???) and did not receive that email, so it seems like each department is truly separate from each other and has completely different timelines and methods of communication. Not to mention, in previous years it seems like they had already sent out decisions by this time so maybe covid is just really throwing them through a loop.. are there any other tyler printmakers out there who have had interviews?

I guess not? It's okay. I'm just trying to be patience with this whole process. It's been a roller coaster for everyone I assume.

29 minutes ago, mfaer said:

A little off topic :)

Anyone have an recommendations for interesting / notable residency programs? 

Oxbow School of Art and Artists Residency! We’re not doing a fellowship program this year but we do a lot of public classes and usually do a fellowship (residency) in the fall. I work at Oxbow and it is a fantastic place.

1 minute ago, NoraEllie said:

Painting!!! What department did you apply for? 

Photo. Is Parsons your top choice? (For me it is all funding dependent, but I am going between it and U of Washington which is fully funded (if I get accepted to both)

3 hours ago, Marre de toi said:

no one said that UNT acceptance wasn't an honor. what was said was that curators are more likely to be interested in the work of a student who went to a big name school vs. UNT. It only takes like 5 minutes of googling to confirm that. Not everyone wants a big gallery career ( I don't) but if you do...don't go to UNT. My own professor's have told me things like that. Yeah, they wouldn't want their name attached to that statement but any profs lurking on here (which I sincerely doubt bc they have their own lives) would understand this. Some people seem so defensive but sorry the art world sucks. It is responsible to be real about that.  Just look at the changethemuseum or the cancelartgalleries instagrams. So often these pie in the sky attitudes about visual art MFA come from people with access to immense wealth. and this is just my personal opinion bc that is what is being share on this forum: opinions.

Edited by theundoing

8 minutes ago, dramallama_07 said:

I dont think there's a painting course at Parsons. Isnt it just a single fine arts interdisc. course?

Sorry, that’s what I meant! It’s just studio art but my interest it painting! From my interview they seemed very interdisciplinary! 

Edited by NoraEllie

32 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Photo. Is Parsons your top choice? (For me it is all funding dependent, but I am going between it and U of Washington which is fully funded (if I get accepted to both)

Ugh, U of Washington is an exceptional school and I regret not applying there. Parsons is not my first choice- I applied to only Parson and Yale which was a big mistake. Parsons is a great school but it all comes down to financial aid! 

Edited by NoraEllie

16 minutes ago, NoraEllie said:

Ugh, U of Washington is an exceptional school and I regret not applying there. Parsons is not my first choice- I applied to only Parson and Yale which was a big mistake. Parsons is a great school but it all comes down to financial aid! 

I am basically praying to god (although i am extremely atheist) that U of Washington would accept me. 

Edit: I am a blind idiot, problem resolved. 

Can I someone give me some HELP

I have my USC interview tomorrow morning and I just realized that I don’t remember which rendition of my portfolio I sent them (I have two slightly different versions)

i submitted it through Slideroom but I think after you submit a Slideroom application you can not log into that profile, it is just gone. Does anyone have ideas? 

Edited by lizavetar96

I haven't heard anything from UCLA New Genre...knowing that some people get rejected and some people get accepted just makes me really confused-- what are they going to do with me! If I gonna die I'd rather have it sooner than later. ?

16 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

I have my USC interview tomorrow morning and I just realized that I don’t remember which rendition of my portfolio I sent them (I have two slightly different versions)

i submitted it through Slideroom but I think after you submit a Slideroom application you can not log into that profile, it is just gone. Does anyone have ideas? 

Ah just saw your edit

Edited by Ememem

19 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

Good luck on your USC interview woot woot! My prayers be with you :).

27 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

You should be able to view your completed slideroom submission, you just can't edit it. Try logging in to your slideroom account for USC, and on the left side of the screen, you'll see a selection for "completed." Click on your application, and it'll probably show the final "confirmation" page. But above the confirmation number, you should see a few links for the different application sections, one of which is " portfolio"

(If you end up applying to residencies or grant applications in future, you might consider keeping a Google drive folder with the images you submitted to that specific opportunity, so you have a record what artwork you submitted.)

I hope that works! I didn't apply to USC, so I'm just basing those instructions on my experience with other MFA program slideroom accounts.

Good luck with the interview!