MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 hour ago, katfude said:

Has anyone been officially rejected from VCU (sculpture)?

Also can I ask how they reached out to those of you who were invited to interview/accepted-- email, portal, phone, etc? 

Wondering exactly the same.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:18 PM, CHEABie said:

Same here. I don't think I'll get into UCLA. And for anyone looking into PNCA and PSU, I was accepted into PSU and had an interview for PNCA last Friday. I live in Portland and they're my backups. I only applied to these four schools. Buena suerte, hsag. I love your work. I don't have any doubt you'll be accepted into UCLA.

Hi! I got into PNCA, and several east coast schools as well. Do you know where you're going yet?

On 1/11/2021 at 3:42 PM, Highlow said:

Low Residency MFA looks like a great idea right about now, and generally should be re evaluated as top priorities. Anyone applying to Low Res MFAs?

I got into the Low-Res MFA at PNCA, SAIC & SVA. Trying to make a decision now. What about you?

Hi everyone! I have a couple of questions when it comes to waitlisting. Would really appreciate any answers as I am completely new to this whole process and this is my very first time applying :) Thank you!!!!! ❤️

1. Is there anything applicants do to increase their chances of getting off the waitlist? Or do you just pretty much wait and hope for the best? I'm assuming it's the latter because the outcome is based on something out of your control, which is whether or not the people who received offers choose to accept their spot in the program.
  2. If you were waitlisted without getting interviewed, and you eventually got out of the waitlist, do they still need to interview you before giving you the acceptance? Would really appreciate any anecdotes here of people who went through the same thing!
  3. Since April 15 is the deadline that most schools adhere to when it comes to locking in offers, does that mean people who are waitlisted probably won't hear back until after April 15?

And then I have a REALLY basic question that anyone who has ever been accepted to an MFA program can answer. It's like a sub-question of #3 becuse it's about the same thing.

• In acceptance offers, is there an option where you can like... turn it down? Or is the way of rejecting offers simply to not do anything up to the deadline?

If you have any insight about any of these topics (doesn't have to be all of them), please let me know! Thanks everyone!

12 minutes ago, dgrkrk said:

Hi everyone! I have a couple of questions when it comes to waitlisting. Would really appreciate any answers as I am completely new to this whole process and this is my very first time applying :) Thank you!!!!! ❤️

1. Is there anything applicants do to increase their chances of getting off the waitlist? Or do you just pretty much wait and hope for the best? I'm assuming it's the latter because the outcome is based on something out of your control, which is whether or not the people who received offers choose to accept their spot in the program.
  2. If you were waitlisted without getting interviewed, and you eventually got out of the waitlist, do they still need to interview you before giving you the acceptance? Would really appreciate any anecdotes here of people who went through the same thing!
  3. Since April 15 is the deadline that most schools adhere to when it comes to locking in offers, does that mean people who are waitlisted probably won't hear back until after April 15?

And then I have a REALLY basic question that anyone who has ever been accepted to an MFA program can answer. It's like a sub-question of #3 becuse it's about the same thing.

• In acceptance offers, is there an option where you can like... turn it down? Or is the way of rejecting offers simply to not do anything up to the deadline?

If you have any insight about any of these topics (doesn't have to be all of them), please let me know! Thanks everyone!

If you know 100% that you won’t attend a school that offered you placement, you should let them know immediately and politely. They have cohorts to fill, potential waitlistees to accept, and funding to re-allocate. It’s stressful for them, too.

2 minutes ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

If you know 100% that you won’t attend a school that offered you placement, you should let them know immediately and politely. They have cohorts to fill, potential waitlistees to accept, and funding to re-allocate. It’s stressful for them, too.

Yeah this is basically what I was asking. Do people do this or do they just wait up to the deadline and not do anything with their offer?

53 minutes ago, dgrkrk said:

Yeah this is basically what I was asking. Do people do this or do they just wait up to the deadline and not do anything with their offer?

I think people definitely do when they have heard from all of their choices and they have made a deliberate decision-- I think it gets a bit murky if they were never formally rejected from a few places and they are still holding out hope so they wait until the last minute to pick from their available options.

22 minutes ago, katfude said:

I think people definitely do when they have heard from all of their choices and they have made a deliberate decision-- I think it gets a bit murky if they were never formally rejected from a few places and they are still holding out hope so they wait until the last minute to pick from their available options.

Yeah I feel like I am sort of in this place and not wanting to drag it out too long... I let them know I will reach out with my decision as soon as possible, but also curious what people think a good personal deadline to wait til is if you havent heard from a school yet?

2 hours ago, Dgzrlemc said:

Hi everyone! Has anyone else been accepted to UConn?  Unless something comes through with the waitlist, I think I’ll wind up accepting. Would love to connect with anyone else who might be going! 

Congratulations! Uconn was my top choice but I haven't heard back from them. Sooo... ?
But really excited for you! 

May I ask how did you hear about your acceptance? Also did you have an interview? 

On 3/7/2021 at 5:47 AM, JellyRoll said:

It’s been fun to watch so many artists receive good news, and humbling to find myself among those who didn’t. Could I ask a favor on behalf of those of us who will be trying again next year? If you have any insights about getting into particular programs (as opposed to general advice—this forum has been good about that already), please consider sharing it. We can use all the help we can get. Congratulations to all of you who will be starting your MFA adventures in the fall!

Hello, I applied to four schools and got accepted into three; VCU, Alfred and UT Austin for Sculpture. Here are some less conventional things I did:

-I kept a studio practice after undergrad and took a two year gap. Last year I went to an artists residency, it helped me make work because I had inconsistent studio space. I also ended up making dope friends. 

-I had a friend take professional photographs of my work. That made a huge difference since I am a sculptor and don't have a photo background. It was not cheap but it was worth it because it is a good investment. I used those photos to apply to grad school, to apply to residencies, for talk flyers, for my website, etc. 

-I applied to only a few schools. I knew what schools I wanted to go to and which would have funding for me and I did not bother applying to any school that didn't provide tuition waivers etc. 

- I made sure that my recommendation letters were by people who really supported me and my work rather than focusing on people who had more pull who may have written an "eh" letter. I kept in touch with my professors from undergrad, like really in touch. I worked for them, I attended their events, I emailed them for advice, ran into them at openings, invited them to my shows etc. Honestly this wasn't too hard because we became colleagues after I graduated. 

-I DMd artists I know on instagram and emailed them to ask them to put in a good word for me with their friends who teach at those schools. 

-I emailed current MFA students at those schools to ask for a zoom meeting so I could ask questions about the program and their experience (one of them went to the same undergrad program I did)

-I was candid in my interviews and I asked questions about things that I really care about. Like how they are dealing with diversity efforts and supporting artists of color. 

22 minutes ago, AidaLizard said:

Hello, I applied to four schools and got accepted into three; VCU, Alfred and UT Austin for Sculpture. Here are some less conventional things I did:

-I kept a studio practice after undergrad and took a two year gap. Last year I went to an artists residency, it helped me make work because I had inconsistent studio space. I also ended up making dope friends. 

-I had a friend take professional photographs of my work. That made a huge difference since I am a sculptor and don't have a photo background. It was not cheap but it was worth it because it is a good investment. I used those photos to apply to grad school, to apply to residencies, for talk flyers, for my website, etc. 

-I applied to only a few schools. I knew what schools I wanted to go to and which would have funding for me and I did not bother applying to any school that didn't provide tuition waivers etc. 

- I made sure that my recommendation letters were by people who really supported me and my work rather than focusing on people who had more pull who may have written an "eh" letter. I kept in touch with my professors from undergrad, like really in touch. I worked for them, I attended their events, I emailed them for advice, ran into them at openings, invited them to my shows etc. Honestly this wasn't too hard because we became colleagues after I graduated. 

-I DMd artists I know on instagram and emailed them to ask them to put in a good word for me with their friends who teach at those schools. 

-I emailed current MFA students at those schools to ask for a zoom meeting so I could ask questions about the program and their experience (one of them went to the same undergrad program I did)

-I was candid in my interviews and I asked questions about things that I really care about. Like how they are dealing with diversity efforts and supporting artists of color. 

Yes to all of that!! Also making sure that your written components are incredibly tight can show that you are able to find the language to define yourself as an artist in conjunction with your work. I tinkered with my artist statement for a year and a half to really get the specificity that I needed, and I also refined my description blubs for several months to make sure that they were pulling their weight. In each of my interviews I was complimented on the strength of my writing skills which helped me take a risk in disclosing the presence of my learning disabilities as a major subject for the art that I make without fearing that it would work against me. A solid statement is often what can push a portfolio into the accepted category if they have slight reservations about your body of work.

pro tip- keep a working log of description blurbs in a document to pull from because you cannot always go back and access what you wrote after you have applied!

Edited by katfude

1 hour ago, katfude said:

Yes to all of that!! Also making sure that your written components are incredibly tight can show that you are able to find the language to define yourself as an artist in conjunction with your work. I tinkered with my artist statement for a year and a half to really get the specificity that I needed, and I also refined my description blubs for several months to make sure that they were pulling their weight. In each of my interviews I was complimented on the strength of my writing skills which helped me take a risk in disclosing the presence of my learning disabilities as a major subject for the work that I make. 

pro tip- keep a working log of description blurbs in a document to pull from because you cannot always go back and access what you wrote after you have applied!

Oh wow. I honestly now am so intrigued about your artist statement (although we are in different disciplines). I would love to read it. Obviously I would understand if you are uncomfortable with sharing

Edited by lizavetar96

8 hours ago, katfude said:

Has anyone been officially rejected from VCU (sculpture)?

Also can I ask how they reached out to those of you who were invited to interview/accepted-- email, portal, phone, etc? 

I was invited to do an interview by email and I heard my acceptance by phone call last Friday. 

3 hours ago, joeyjoejoeshabbadoo said:

I can answer questions about life at MICA/Baltimore, but not the grad program

I remember the good ole days of Legal Seafood out in Baltimore. Very pricey but pretty good grub!

Hi! 

Rejected from UCLA New Genre & Bard Film/Video. 

But got into CalArts Film/Video!

Does anyone here know how financial aid goes for the CalArts MFA? I really loved the environment and I really want to go. But the money just might be a problem. Does anyone have some insight? I would like to know some perspective aside from my own research. 

Thank you!