MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

3 minutes ago, cjfa said:

That makes me feel a lot better! I was looking at my calarts and yale apps and both of them show the list of submitted images and ucla shows nothing. It was the first app I submitted so I've been freaking out wondering how I didn't add a portfolio. Hopefully that isn't the case or they would have contacted. Good luck to you! It feels strange sitting here in limbo while other people have gotten decisions

Yes, the limbo is weird and kind of nerve-wracking, but I don't think it'll go beyond March 15. They said all applicants, rejected and accepted, would have an answer by mid-March. Hang in there!

4 minutes ago, hsag said:

Yes, the limbo is weird and kind of nerve-wracking, but I don't think it'll go beyond March 15. They said all applicants, rejected and accepted, would have an answer by mid-March. Hang in there!

You too! I see you got into CalArts as well, great to have options open while you wait! We'll get through it

11 hours ago, cjfa said:

Do you have a link for the portal? I've gotten no email and no noticeable response on my application proof page. Very confused

edit: I applied to the DMA program if anyone else is in the same boat

Same applied DMA program, but nothing came...

I just turned down UMass Dartmouth for ceramics & it was really difficult to do! VCU Craft & Materials gave better funding so it was a no brainer, but after all the time, effort, and money it took to apply to these schools—it’s difficult to say No Thank You.

I wish everyone peace in this process. I keep telling myself “This or something better”. It helps.

And, if you didn’t get in anywhere this year, do your best & keep trying—if it’s what you really want. 

10 hours ago, Ruaruarua said:

A curious question about MFA Graphic Design in the Fall – If financial aid factor is not considered, ArtCenter or MICA?

(My undergraduate was at MICA) 

Wait did ArtCenter send you an acceptance? 
I haven't yet received neither a rejection of acceptance. 

And based on your question I think both are great choices to pick from, and it would be more based on what you would like to get out of your degree. I think both schools offer really different offerings. 

Edited by CMCM

finally heard back from the last of my programs, waitlisted at UC Berkeley, Indiana university, and UIC.

But I’ve already accepted an amazing offer from university of Oregon, full tuition remission and a teaching position and I truly could not be happier with my choice!

this process is so tough mentally and can be the root of a lot of impostor syndrome, but to all of those still waiting I wish you the best of luck!! You’ve got what it takes, try to remember that in the tough times 

6 hours ago, HB9bird said:

I just turned down UMass Dartmouth for ceramics & it was really difficult to do! VCU Craft & Materials gave better funding so it was a no brainer, but after all the time, effort, and money it took to apply to these schools—it’s difficult to say No Thank You.

I wish everyone peace in this process. I keep telling myself “This or something better”. It helps.

And, if you didn’t get in anywhere this year, do your best & keep trying—if it’s what you really want. 

Welcome to Richmond! And congrats on VCU, the school has a really awesome program.

just curious if If I haven’t received a decision from mica gd after interview, should I assume its rejection? Has anyone gotten a rejection for gd after interviewing? Its my top choice for now, so nervous! Also, in the program i was accepted to,  calarts (3 yr)or  cca or sva or scad(with scholarship)? 

18 hours ago, katfude said:

I did, but they do ask for proof so make sure that you don't embellish or lie at all!

Yeah, no intention of lying. Was just curious if people tried appealing without mentioning offers from other schools, because I’m still waiting on some but have been accepted in one. Thanks for responding!

Edited by imcyborgbuthatsok

12 hours ago, CMCM said:

Wait did ArtCenter send you an acceptance? 
I haven't yet received neither a rejection of acceptance. 

And based on your question I think both are great choices to pick from, and it would be more based on what you would like to get out of your degree. I think both schools offer really different offerings. 

No haha I asked them and they said the decision will be published soon. But I am accepted to MICA. 

I am very familiar to MICA but know a little about ACCD. Not sure if I will be accepted, but choose which school to go to will be a big debate...

Greetings! First time posting but I have found this forum really helpful and wanted to share where I'm at and ask an advice question.... currently:

Rejected: yale, cmu, risd (after interview), vcu (? haven't heard anything so assuming rejection)

Accepted: SUNY New Paltz, Umass Amherst (fully funded), Tyler (funding tbd)

Interviewing with Goldsmiths in two hours, and haven't heard a peep from the RCA.

I feel like my decision will likely come down between UMass and Tyler... I have talked with professors and students from both programs but still feel like I want to do more research in terms of student experience and where people go after graduation (teaching prospects, etc). How are others weighing decisions between funded and less funded options?

* Just a last note that It's tough out there! And institutional rejection has no bearing on your worth as an artist or being! Great job everyone for just being in the thick of it *

46 minutes ago, salad said:

Greetings! First time posting but I have found this forum really helpful and wanted to share where I'm at and ask an advice question.... currently:

Rejected: yale, cmu, risd (after interview), vcu (? haven't heard anything so assuming rejection)

Interviewing with Goldsmiths in two hours, and haven't heard a peep from the RCA.

I feel like my decision will likely come down between UMass and Tyler... I have talked with professors and students from both programs but still feel like I want to do more research in terms of student experience and where people go after graduation (teaching prospects, etc). How are others weighing decisions between funded and less funded options?

* Just a last note that It's tough out there! And institutional rejection has no bearing on your worth as an artist or being! Great job everyone for just being in the thick of it *

Hi! I am similarly stuck between UMass Amherst and BU (still waiting on Tyler, but I spoke to a current student yesterday and don't think I'd be happy there after all). To me, UMass feels like the smart choice because of the fantastic funding and stipend, but I'm not sure if the right/responsible choice is ultimately the best choice (does that make sense?). UMass would have much more of an impact on a teaching career since it is a three year program structured to build professors, but less on studio development since it is so far removed from any gallery scene. BU on the other hand would have much more of an impact on my art making and potential path as a maker/showing type artist but that's obviously a gamble and an entirely different lifestyle.

Tyler (sculpture) is much more theory based with a lot of time spent reading and developing your mind, but Philadelphia as a whole has A LOT going on and Tyler artists have a lot of pull in the gallery culture around here. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat with someone in a similar position :)

Edited by katfude

23 minutes ago, salad said:

Also since a ton of people are waiting on Tyler and you seem to be the first to have heard back, would you mind sharing your major and how/when they got in contact with you (email, portal, phone, etc.)? 

Edited by katfude

3 hours ago, yoyoyo1 said:

just curious if If I haven’t received a decision from mica gd after interview, should I assume its rejection? Has anyone gotten a rejection for gd after interviewing? Its my top choice for now, so nervous! Also, in the program i was accepted to,  calarts (3 yr)or  cca or sva or scad(with scholarship)? 

Hey I haven't received a decision from MICA either after an interview. They said they'll let us know by 15th. So I'm guessing you can wait till then.

9 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Welcome to Richmond! And congrats on VCU, the school has a really awesome program.

Thank you :) I’m still waiting on a couple more funding packages from other schools, so I haven’t fully committed to VCU; but I’m definitely leaning toward VCU’s way! I just need to make an educated decision.

I’ve seen your kind offers of imparting your Richmond knowledge. I will bug you about that when / if I do commit!

On 3/7/2021 at 8:46 PM, Marre de toi said:

@SocialKonstructVous dites que vous parlez français. Lisez mon nom d'utilisateur. J'espère ardemment que vous ne commencerez pas le forum l'année prochaine. Pauvres petits agneaux!

He does not need defending. Please don’t act like we haven’t seen the demeaning, aggressive messages he posts every day non-stop before he edits them beyond recognition. People have been mostly ignoring it to see if the bullying will stop.

One clear example, putting down UNT and then editing ad nauseum to cover up his words. Have you any idea what an honor it is to be selected to interview at any funded program? I would have been proud of having a University of North Texas MFA degree. They have a wonderful program, their tuition rate is unbeatable, and the faculty is super caring. The place is beautiful and very safe. And funding is available. Same for places like Montana State, Boise State, Michigan State, IUPUI (awesome facilities and faculty!), and so many others! 

It is highly unprofessional to denigrate any program, professors, practicing artists, or applicant portfolios, using your name and website in a public forum with people who will be your future colleagues, residency directors, curators, etc. Try googling his name and see the mess that pops up from this forum. Do you know how many professors lurk on this website and see our websites, our names, and our words?

I was accepted at Yale, by the way. Good news for those of you on the waitlist.

I'm pretty sure that the same person owns this account, youraveragejoe, ladyofthelake, Lemon2lemonade, struckbylightning and spinthewheel bc the upvote and downvote history looks almost identical and all on the same days within 10 minutes of eachother. very weird. could also be bot accounts ...or coincidence? 

Example of matching recent history on same posts which lists all interactions on gradcafe:

Ladyofthelake:                              Youraveragejoe                               struckbylightning

1 min ago, downvote                    1 min ago, downvote                           5 min ago, downvote        

1 min ago, downvote                    1 min ago, downvote                           1 min ago, downvote

2 min ago, heart                           1 min ago, heart                                  1 min ago, heart

Sunday 2pm, heart                       Sunday 159pm, heart                        Sunday 202pm, upvote

Sunday 1150am, upvote               Sunday 1147am, upvote                     Sunday 1149am, upvote 

Sunday 1134am, upvote               Sunday 1131am, upvote                     Sunday 1136am, upvote

Sunday 858am, upvote                Sunday 855am, upvote                         Sunday 9am, upvote

Sunday 815am, upvote                 Sunday 818am, upvote                        Sunday 821am, upvote

February 26, heart

Feb 4, downvote                            Feb 4, downvote                                  Feb 4, downvote

Jan 26, upvote                               January 26, upvote                           January 26, upvote

The accounts often like and upvote eachother. I know that the MFA writing forum is dealing with a similar issue (one person with multiple accounts)

Edited by theundoing

Check each account in your conspiracy theory. Each member started in different years. I'm actually already at VCU, another has already graduated with an MFA, another was applying two years ago and I assume the rest are applying this year. So much for conspiracy theories. I know it's hard to relax about the wait but stop obsessing about others. There are other more productive things to do. Get a hobby. Of course, you'll tear this apart, but what else is new?

And for that matter, what you said about those users can also be said about theundoing, SocialKonstruct, MFA Troll, and NoraEllie who always conveniently pop up at the same time and protect each other like quadruplets. That said, I never mention that because it's a far-out theory that's unreal, just like yours.

20 minutes ago, youraveragejoe said:

Check each account in your conspiracy theory. Each member started in different years. I'm actually already at VCU, another has already graduated with an MFA, another was applying two years ago and I assume the rest are applying this year. So much for conspiracy theories. I know it's hard to relax about the wait but stop obsessing about others. There are other more productive things to do. Get a hobby. Of course, you'll tear this apart, but what else is new?

And for that matter, what you said about those users can also be said about theundoing, SocialKonstruct, MFA Troll, and NoraEllie who always conveniently pop up at the same time and protect each other like quadruplets. That said, I never mention that because it's a far-out theory that's unreal, just like yours.

Of course there is no proof. but what is strange is that although of course likes and upvotes would occur at the same time when something was just posted (as is the case with me, SK and NE) these accounts often react 12 hours to -72 hours later but within 10 minutes of each other. It is an online anonymous forum there is no harm in thinking through whether accounts might be bots or duplicates. This took me 10 minutes so...its not like its distracting from my hobbies. Especially this morning with the downvote of a post that I wrote 4 days ago. Seems suspicious that 6 different people all logged on at 8am to downvote the same post from 4 days ago. Especially when this is a pattern throughout the accounts' histories. It could be some weird bug with the gradcafe server I suppose. Like some sort of lag between Get() and Post().

Edited by theundoing