MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

I would like to propose that everyone’s opinion on here is very valid and there is no need for hard feelings!  Never mind bots or duplicate accounts, I find the main camps on here are mostly arguing wether prestige or funding are more important. Because I have to personally make that decision, after meditating, making pros and cons list, drinking heavily, talking to everyone I know for days about it, and regularly waking in the middle of the night to nervous vomit, I AM HERE TO TELL YOU THAT I DON’T KNOW. ❤️❤️❤️ And I thank you for ALL your opinions and lovely support. Sending my support right back your way. 

There isn’t a right answer to this. We’d all need a crystal ball for and it’s different for different people. Please proceed with love and respect  

30 minutes ago, Rsrs said:

Accepted at Hunter and CalArts,  waitlisted at UChi and Waiting to hear from Columbia. Any updates on them? 

i was interviewed at Yale sculpture and didn’t get in and am tempted to just wait and reapply, or try to transfer. Thoughts on this? 

I was also accepted to Hunter and I am considering doing this (ie reapply to yale  & apply to rutgers next year). Since it is a three year program it will take me three years regardless. I don't think credits will transfer between different MFA programs? Hunter tuition isn't too much more $ than my shared studio space anyhow. 

Edited by theundoing

21 minutes ago, Rsrs said:

Accepted at Hunter and CalArts,  waitlisted at UChi and Waiting to hear from Columbia. Any updates on them? 

i was interviewed at Yale sculpture and didn’t get in and am tempted to just wait and reapply, or try to transfer. Thoughts on this? 

Totally get that impulse. One of the things that I considered for my own decision was that I can’t really “improve” my chances next year. Because every year they are looking for fit and who knows what the applicant pool is like, it’s just like rolling the dice again. You get another chance, but the odds per dice roll aren’t necessarily better. 

congrats on the acceptances! 

Edited by Scrambledmegs

3 hours ago, theundoing said:

I'm pretty sure that the same person owns this account, youraveragejoe, ladyofthelake, Lemon2lemonade, struckbylightning and spinthewheel bc the upvote and downvote history looks almost identical and all on the same days within 10 minutes of eachother. very weird. could also be bot accounts ...or coincidence? 

Example of matching recent history on same posts which lists all interactions on gradcafe:

Ladyofthelake:                              Youraveragejoe                               struckbylightning

1 min ago, downvote                    1 min ago, downvote                           5 min ago, downvote        

1 min ago, downvote                    1 min ago, downvote                           1 min ago, downvote

2 min ago, heart                           1 min ago, heart                                  1 min ago, heart

Sunday 2pm, heart                       Sunday 159pm, heart                        Sunday 202pm, upvote

Sunday 1150am, upvote               Sunday 1147am, upvote                     Sunday 1149am, upvote 

Sunday 1134am, upvote               Sunday 1131am, upvote                     Sunday 1136am, upvote

Sunday 858am, upvote                Sunday 855am, upvote                         Sunday 9am, upvote

Sunday 815am, upvote                 Sunday 818am, upvote                        Sunday 821am, upvote

February 26, heart

Feb 4, downvote                            Feb 4, downvote                                  Feb 4, downvote

Jan 26, upvote                               January 26, upvote                           January 26, upvote

The accounts often like and upvote eachother. I know that the MFA writing forum is dealing with a similar issue (one person with multiple accounts)

Glad someone else here took the red pill, too, unlike these sheeple. Everyone has to do the research and follow the breadcrumbs. Don’t let yourself be ruled by fear. The great awakening is coming. The storm is coming, enjoy the show.

45 minutes ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

Glad someone else here took the red pill, too, unlike these sheeple. Everyone has to do the research and follow the breadcrumbs. Don’t let yourself be ruled by fear. The great awakening is coming. The storm is coming, enjoy the show.

I didn't realize that Elon was on the mfa forum but with NFTs looking to be the next art market star...it makes sense 

Untitled.jpg

Edited by theundoing

1 hour ago, Rsrs said:

I am pretty uncertain about transfer of MFA credits but I suspect not many if any do this. Rare exceptions would have been the bailout from the USC MFA program years ago but that is a pretty extreme example; here folks who did part of the USC MFA ended up finishing at a different program.

3 hours ago, youraveragejoe said:

Check each account in your conspiracy theory. Each member started in different years. I'm actually already at VCU, another has already graduated with an MFA, another was applying two years ago and I assume the rest are applying this year. So much for conspiracy theories. I know it's hard to relax about the wait but stop obsessing about others. There are other more productive things to do. Get a hobby. Of course, you'll tear this apart, but what else is new?

And for that matter, what you said about those users can also be said about theundoing, SocialKonstruct, MFA Troll, and NoraEllie who always conveniently pop up at the same time and protect each other like quadruplets. That said, I never mention that because it's a far-out theory that's unreal, just like yours.

As soon as I saw conspiracy theories I was like uh oh, did QAnon invade here? ?

12 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said:

As soon as I saw conspiracy theories I was like uh oh, did QAnon invade here? ?

I'm not proposing a conspiracy. It just looks like bot accounts. Since 30%-50% of internet traffic is bots it wouldn't be that unusual. The conspiracy is simply that for any website that relies on measuring engagement for monetization there will be bots. Based on the shared pattern of these accounts I'm just wondering if some of them are bots.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/01/bots-bots-bots/515043/

Edited by theundoing

Rejection from SAIC Painting and Drawing :( They did admit me directly into the Post bac program with potential scholarship. Has anybody here had experience with that? 

Edited by PlzTakeME
wording

23 hours ago, Sedonahiker62 said:

Anyone hear from Ohio University? Their application deadline was February 17th, much later than all the other schools. 

I have not. I feel like someone mentioned hearing from them about a month ago, but maybe it was OSU instead of OU.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, theundoing said:

I'm not proposing a conspiracy. It just looks like bot accounts. Since 30%-50% of internet traffic is bots it wouldn't be that unusual. The conspiracy is simply that for any website that relies on measuring engagement for monetization there will be bots. Based on the shared pattern of these accounts I'm just wondering if some of them are bots.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/01/bots-bots-bots/515043/

Speaking of bots and art with technology, I am very happy to see digital art faring well during our time- https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/arts/design/nft-auction-christies-beeple.html

It's a new type of work but I love the radical nature of these beasts.

19 hours ago, graciej said:

finally heard back from the last of my programs, waitlisted at UC Berkeley, Indiana university, and UIC.

But I’ve already accepted an amazing offer from university of Oregon, full tuition remission and a teaching position and I truly could not be happier with my choice!

this process is so tough mentally and can be the root of a lot of impostor syndrome, but to all of those still waiting I wish you the best of luck!! You’ve got what it takes, try to remember that in the tough times 

Well said and congratulations on accepting what sounds like a great offer from Oregon!!

Can I ask, was it IU Bloomington that you heard back from? If so, I’m curious if you interviewed with them and how you heard back. Of course, only if you are willing to share your experience!!

10 minutes ago, Ab2020 said:

Well said and congratulations on accepting what sounds like a great offer from Oregon!!

Can I ask, was it IU Bloomington that you heard back from? If so, I’m curious if you interviewed with them and how you heard back. Of course, only if you are willing to share your experience!!

Thank you!! I’m really excited to see where it takes me, I feel like it’s the right choice and I can’t wait to move out there. 

And yes, it was IU Bloomington! I interviewed for the fibers program back in early February. I was put under a pretty early time crunch from another program that was offering me funding, so I reached out to IU to check the status of my application. I was told my place on the waitlist and that helped me make a decision about my other offers. Indiana has a fantastic program and everyone that I interacted with during the application process was beyond kind, so I wouldn’t be nervous about reaching out if that is what you’re considering! I hope all goes well for you!

1 minute ago, graciej said:

Thank you!! I’m really excited to see where it takes me, I feel like it’s the right choice and I can’t wait to move out there. 

And yes, it was IU Bloomington! I interviewed for the fibers program back in early February. I was put under a pretty early time crunch from another program that was offering me funding, so I reached out to IU to check the status of my application. I was told my place on the waitlist and that helped me make a decision about my other offers. Indiana has a fantastic program and everyone that I interacted with during the application process was beyond kind, so I wouldn’t be nervous about reaching out if that is what you’re considering! I hope all goes well for you!

Thanks so much! That is really helpful, I appreciate your insight!

So, here's the final tally.

George Washington U (Fine Arts) - Rejected w/ no interview

U of Kansas (Expanded Media) - Rejected w/ no interview

U of W Milwaukee (Cinematic Arts) - Rejected w/ no interview

RISD (Digital + Media) - Rejected w/ no interview

U of M Ann Arbor (Art) - Rejected w/ no interview (though kind words followed)

U of W Madison (4-D Video & Performance) - Rejected after interview

MCAD (Visual Studies) - Accepted(!) w/ no interview (2/3rd tuition covered w/ merit scholarship)

VCU (Kinetic Imaging) - No word so assumed rejection

Needless to say, I'm extremely grateful but a little disheartened. On one hand, as a self taught artist who studied art history and theory in their own unguided way, its fulfilling to take such a large step to what I believe to be my path and to be going to a school (MCAD) that I feel is an excellent fit for me. On the other hand, I'd be lying if I said this was a perfect situation. I'd like more of a choice and despite my feelings about the school, it was my only acceptance and it seems the general consensus in the world I don't know much about is that it's not the most competitive program.

But with all this being said, I'm very excited to be going to MCAD. It's been fun and stress-relieving to have this forum as support and information. Thank you to everyone posting their thoughts, feelings, words of wisdom, and their success! I'm happy for all of you and those who posted their work, it's all very exciting and you're super talented.

Here's my website and Instagram. I'd love to keep up with any of you and your work so if you post your Instagram around in the forum I'll be sure to give you a follow.

ericdbutler.com

@ericedanielbutler

On 2/28/2021 at 8:48 PM, CSElli said:

Actually... now that I think about it... not really. We ended up talking about the program when I asked questions, but the interview goes by so fast. I would suggest prepping for the question just in case. For example, in my case I enjoy the work the current students are making. I also researched the TriBeCa area. I hope your interview goes well. They really seem to be invested in their students! 

Hi! Hunter sent notifications today, were you accepted/ do you think you'll be going? 

2 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Speaking of bots and art with technology, I am very happy to see digital art faring well during our time- https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/arts/design/nft-auction-christies-beeple.html

It's a new type of work but I love the radical nature of these beasts.

I honestly can't decide how I feel about it. Part of me feels excited because I am into blockchain technology but part of me feels disheartened. I think I will need like another year to sort out how I feel about it lol. But I am just extremely curious about this relatively new type of work

38 minutes ago, theundoing said:

I honestly can't decide how I feel about it. Part of me feels excited because I am into blockchain technology but part of me feels disheartened. I think I will need like another year to sort out how I feel about it lol. But I am just extremely curious about this relatively new type of work

I set up a NFT account today so I can create the work. I will see how it functions because I heard the NFT creation isn't free but as a student I can play around the medium.