MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Just now, dramallama_07 said:

Fine arts. And merit scholarship. Sorry was your question only addressed to photo candidates?

Yeah... only to photo, cause photo candidates do not have merit scholarships, unfortunately... the biggest thing that can happen aid-wise is that an applicant gets a departmental assistanship (you work for SVA) and get half of tuition off. But unfortunately it will never be as good as getting 32k off. 
but I am very happy for you!  

1 hour ago, snipsnapsnout said:

Congratulations on your acceptance to MCAD! I hear you on the emotions of the process, but you should feel good about having found a program that responds so strongly to your work (great scholarship!). Funding like that really portends well for the relationships you'll have with faculty! I feel like some of these more "competitive" programs offer less support to their students.

Can I ask when and how you heard back from Milwaukee? I also applied to their Cinematic Arts program but haven't heard anything yet (although I saw many hits on my portfolio from them).

Thank you! Yeah I totally agree. I feel great about moving forward with MCAD.

I emailed Jesse McLean about a week ago asking where they were in the process. She then emailed me back informing me of the rejection. I'm sure you could email her to get a decision sooner rather than later.

Edited by kwemo

2 minutes ago, lizavetar96 said:

But unfortunately it will never be as good as getting 32k off.

Really? Because your offer seems more lucrative. Afterall you'd be getting half of the tuition off and 32k is still afterall only just 1/3rd of the tuition. So technically you're benefitting more. This is including the fact that the fine arts department doesn't offer RA or TA-ships, only campus jobs so even if I want, I can't reduce my costs more than this. Plus if you take those assistantships, they really add to your CV. I desperately wanted to work an assistantship too but unfortunately I won't get a chance to

1 minute ago, dramallama_07 said:

Really? Because your offer seems more lucrative. Afterall you'd be getting half of the tuition off and 32k is still afterall only just 1/3rd of the tuition. So technically you're benefitting more. This is including the fact that the fine arts department doesn't offer RA or TA-ships, only campus jobs so even if I want, I can't reduce my costs more than this. Plus if you take those assistantships, they really add to your CV. I desperately wanted to work an assistantship too but unfortunately I won't get a chance to

Sorry, do you mean 32k off for 2 years overall? Then yes, considering that SVA’s tuition is 50k a year, a departmental assistanship is prefferable. 
(about the resumé part I am not too sure though as I am not assisting a class or a professor, but working in a equipment cage. But it definitely gives me opportunity to build rapport with faculty etc. Don’t get me wrong - I would love to get the assistanship!

23 minutes ago, kwemo said:

Thank you! Yeah I totally agree. I feel great about moving forward with MCAD.

I emailed Jesse McLean about a week ago asking where they were in the process. She then emailed me back informing me of the rejection. I'm sure you could email her to get a decision sooner rather than later.

Thank you! Funny I hadn't thought of that, just emailed her myself.

29 minutes ago, artapplicant said:

does anyone know if U penn is still coming out with scholarships/financial aid? 

i got an offer of aid with my acceptance notification but maybe they are still rolling out offers? TBH I am thinking I probably wont go to Penn which might be good news for other people who havent heard about funding yet? I hope!

1 hour ago, wambam said:

Anybody trying to decide about RISD painting? It’s so expensive i don’t know whether to wait and reapply to other places or just to go for it.  

i'm trying to decide ? they did offer me money but it still wouldn't be free or anything so im just not sure. what do you think of the program? i keep going back and forth about how i feel abt it

19 minutes ago, hello this is said:

i'm trying to decide ? they did offer me money but it still wouldn't be free or anything so im just not sure. what do you think of the program? i keep going back and forth about how i feel abt it

I like the faculty, but even with some funding, I’m not sure it’s worth it.  ? 

Hi everyone long time lurker here finally decided to make an account. I have been accepted to the SAIC Printmedia Program with 50% funding for tuition. However I am still debating if I should accept the offer as I do not live in Chicago and accepting more loans to cover tuition and live in Chicago is not something I'm apprehensive about. I also got accepted to Columbia College Chicago with 60% funding and assistantship award which I am also considering because tuition is more affordable. Just need some advice is SAIC worth the money?

19 minutes ago, bitmap said:

Hi everyone long time lurker here finally decided to make an account. I have been accepted to the SAIC Printmedia Program with 50% funding for tuition. However I am still debating if I should accept the offer as I do not live in Chicago and accepting more loans to cover tuition and live in Chicago is not something I'm apprehensive about. I also got accepted to Columbia College Chicago with 60% funding and assistantship award which I am also considering because tuition is more affordable. Just need some advice is SAIC worth the money?

Trying to decide the same thing about RISD (see above). It’s such a hard decision! I’ve heard so many times to follow the money... the debt is probably not worth it.  Please weigh in people!

17 minutes ago, bitmap said:

I don't have first hand experience with there program though, just the Art community in Chicago (from nearly 10 year ago at this point.), But if you are thinking about Chicago as a possible home beyond your MFA, Columbia College is well known, respected and connected in the Chicago Art community. It doesn't have the same name recognition on a national or international level as SAIC (depending on your concentration maybe) but if you are interested in staying in Chicago and engaging with the community there as your "home-base" Columbia College is a great option! I lived in Chicago for awhile and met quite a few artists in the community who went to Columbia College, and had great things to say (mostly they were film folks.)

Does anyone know if being waitlisted (and then accepted) affects your chances of getting good funding? Basically, I'm wondering if schools think they can give less funding to applicants who were waitlisted since they weren't like their 'first choice' for the program. Or is there no disadvantage at all in being waitlisted when it comes to funding? Would really appreciate some insight on this. Thanks!

1 hour ago, bitmap said:

Hi message me directly here or on instagram at @slickjaketheruler! I got into SAIC Printmedia as well, and received a 35% tuition remission scholarship and am kinda on the fence on funding if it's worth the debt. I would love to have someone else to talk to about the school because I'm really pulling my skin over this school.

1 hour ago, wambam said:

Trying to decide the same thing about RISD (see above). It’s such a hard decision! I’ve heard so many times to follow the money... the debt is probably not worth it.  Please weigh in people!

I was going to apply to RISD but changed my mind last minute. Its a difficult dilemma, the price tag on these institutions that are pushing great work but very pricey. A professor i worked with went to RISD and told me to look at it as an investment for your future and I know I have time to pay back my loans, but I also do not want to be drowning in debt. Difficult choice but regardless I think whatever you choose stick to it and enjoy it and make the best of it. 

1 hour ago, Killerdonuts said:

I don't have first hand experience with there program though, just the Art community in Chicago (from nearly 10 year ago at this point.), But if you are thinking about Chicago as a possible home beyond your MFA, Columbia College is well known, respected and connected in the Chicago Art community. It doesn't have the same name recognition on a national or international level as SAIC (depending on your concentration maybe) but if you are interested in staying in Chicago and engaging with the community there as your "home-base" Columbia College is a great option! I lived in Chicago for awhile and met quite a few artists in the community who went to Columbia College, and had great things to say (mostly they were film folks.)

I do plan on remaining in Chicago for a while, I have never been but Im preparing myself for the winter because I have heard those are brutal (I am moving from a desert). The city does look great for printmaking and the arts in general. I do like Columbia College and my girlfriend will be attending Columbia College but SAIC is like a dream.  

1 hour ago, slickjaketheruler said:

Hi message me directly here or on instagram at @slickjaketheruler! I got into SAIC Printmedia as well, and received a 35% tuition remission scholarship and am kinda on the fence on funding if it's worth the debt. I would love to have someone else to talk to about the school because I'm really pulling my skin over this school.

Congrats ! Will message you on Instagram.  

non design background applicant.

i applied to CMU MA (1yr) -> MDes (2yr) program, RISD ID 2.5 yr, ArtCenter MDP, CCA Design 3yr, Georgia Tech ID 3yr, UPENN IPD.

so far ive been admitted to CMU, RISD, CCA. w/o interviews. And had an interview with ArtCenter a week ago.

Has anyone got into or been contacted with UW-seattle MDes program?

I am deciding between RISD and CMU (leaning towards risd for now) but I def will go to UW-seattle if i get in..

Edited by aadrew

On 3/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, linlinlin said:

I am curious what kind of work did you submit to MIT’s ACT program....?and how is the financial aid...I was accepted to UPenn but their financial aid is horrible...I am thinking to apply for ACT next year??

I submitted mostly installation and video work. I think it helped that my work was on a website, which allowed me to add lots of installation shots as well as reference and research images, so they had plenty of context. The program is quite research-heavy so I think it's important for them to see where that comes in.

As for financial aid, I think it hovers between 25-75% depending on the year. There's only 3-5 people in the program every year so I'm assuming everyone is automatically subsidized at least partially by the department--maybe at the same amount?

1 hour ago, hello this is said:

how are people going about negotiating financial aid offers? Are you talking to faculty about it or directly with the financial aid office?

I am trying to negotiate my offer from SAIC, as I know many others are. I spoke first with a faculty member, who then directed me to financial services. In SAIC's case there is a pretty standard appeals form, but I am sure it varies per school (I've noticed there is way more administrative staff at SAIC than other schools I've applied to). The financial service advisor at SAIC told me appeals could even result in a merit scholarship. I'm not counting on that, but it's good to hear the results could be significant. Good luck!

36 minutes ago, snipsnapsnout said:

I am trying to negotiate my offer from SAIC, as I know many others are. I spoke first with a faculty member, who then directed me to financial services. In SAIC's case there is a pretty standard appeals form, but I am sure it varies per school (I've noticed there is way more administrative staff at SAIC than other schools I've applied to). The financial service advisor at SAIC told me appeals could even result in a merit scholarship. I'm not counting on that, but it's good to hear the results could be significant. Good luck!

Hi! Can I ask where I can find the appeal form if you don’t mind sharing?

Just got rejected from Cranbrook Print Media post-interview. I had already decided my other options were better fits so I'm not too upset. I think they didn't like my question about what resources and relationships the school has with the Detroit or national art scene (coming from NY I said that of the MFA programs I've seen friends go through here one element was open studios/events that attracted curators/gallerists/collectors and I asked if they had anything similar). I didn't particularly like their response (this isn't a finishing school, space is cheap in Detroit to start your own gallery/collective, our alumni have a strong bond). I asked a similar question during a student run tour and they responded with a list of galleries and museums in Detroit that they were prepped with. 

These questions can be hard to ask but if you're committing time and money- and especially if you're considering putting down roots in a new city- they're important.

Edited by cjfa