MFA 2021 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Howdy! I received admission for Experimental Animation at CalArts and Illustration at FIT.

Waiting to hear back from SVA Illustration (waitlisted), DePaul Animation (interview on Friday), and RCA Animation.

Still waiting on Financial Aid packages from the 2 schools I was admitted to.

Edited by pizzawizard92

Hi everybody,

Someone was asking about UCLA mfa statistics a while ago. I just found them today:

ADMISSIONS DATA

Average Number of Applicants

Average Number of Admits

Percent of Applicants Admitted

3%

Average Number of New Registrants

Percent of Admits Registered

75%

Of course, that’s for a non-covid year. This year I believe they only accepted 14 students, which is around 2%.

I found this data here: https://grad.ucla.edu/programs/school-of-arts-and-architecture/art/

since their cohorts are sort of interdisciplinary, the admissions are for all disciplines.

Edited by Hphphphp

4 hours ago, Hphphphp said:

Hi everybody,

Someone was asking about UCLA mfa statistics a while ago. I just found them today:

ADMISSIONS DATA

Average Number of Admits

3%

75%

Of course, that’s for a non-covid year. This year I believe they only accepted 14 students, which is around 2%.

I found this data here: https://grad.ucla.edu/programs/school-of-arts-and-architecture/art/

since their cohorts are sort of interdisciplinary, the admissions are for all disciplines.

And this is overall counting all the departments? Jesus, it is SO i credibly competitive. 

12 hours ago, Hphphphp said:

Hi everybody,

ADMISSIONS DATA

Average Number of Admits

3%

75%

Thanks for the information... that means Yale is getting about twice as many applicants for their MFA programs over UCLA then.

I am so excited to announce that I was accepted into UCI Tuesday evening! Some of you might know I was originally waitlisted, but I received an email that funding has changed and they were able to add another spot for their incoming cohort! I still cannot believe this is real! Look forward to seeing some of y’all in California! :)

Edited by Artist99

2 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said:

Thanks for the information... that means Yale is getting about twice as many applicants for their MFA programs over UCLA then.

And accepting at least 3 or 4 times as many depending on the discipline. 7 times more painters though. Yale graduates 21 painters every year, and UCLA graduates 3 or 4. Also, do you know where are the stats for Yale? I can only find very dated ones. 

3 minutes ago, Hphphphp said:

And accepting at least 3 or 4 times as many depending on the discipline. 7 times more painters though. Yale graduates 21 painters every year, and UCLA graduates 3 or 4. Also, do you know where are the stats for Yale? I can only find very dated ones. 

I went by the very open stat of Yale having 1100-1200 applicants approximately every year so my estimate is not as good as yours. Plus COVID may have changed a lot of the stats for the past year.

1 hour ago, SocialKonstruct said:

I went by the very open stat of Yale having 1100-1200 applicants approximately every year so my estimate is not as good as yours. Plus COVID may have changed a lot of the stats for the past year.

Yeah, this is a screenshot from the waitlist letter they sent. They said fewer than 5% were admitted, so between 4% and 5%? And this is considering that they only had about half spots open. 4%-5% is more than I thought.

51BF310C-6845-48F9-A6DC-53A1DF172415.jpeg

Edited by Hphphphp

6 hours ago, Artist99 said:

I am so excited to announce that I was accepted into UCI Tuesday evening! Some of you might know I was originally waitlisted, but I received an email that funding has changed and they were able to add another spot for their incoming cohort! I still cannot believe this is real! Look forward to seeing some of y’all in California! :)

I heard UCI is fully funded (for domestic applicants at least). Congratulations!

Does anyone know about ArtCenters decision making process. 
I checked the application portal and it says 'Decision Sent' but I have no clue if it's through email or mail, considering I am an international student I am weary if it's through mail. 
Also if I even got accepted of rejected - there were no interviews for me.
Any knowledge?? 

Just now, dgrkrk said:

I heard UCI is fully funded (for domestic applicants at least). Congratulations!

They are indeed! I am so grateful for that fact. I really did not want to take any loans out for my MFA program. 

Y'all be sleeping on UCI, but they have an amazing cohort of faculty, facilities, and are a fully funded 3 year program! 

I highly encourage others to apply to UCI if you anyone is apply to MFA programs next year! :) 

1 minute ago, Artist99 said:

They are indeed! I am so grateful for that fact. I really did not want to take any loans out for my MFA program. 

Y'all be sleeping on UCI, but they have an amazing cohort of faculty, facilities, and are a fully funded 3 year program! 

I highly encourage others to apply to UCI if you anyone is apply to MFA programs next year! :) 

I actually did my undergrad at UCI and I loved it! :) Can't speak on the art dept because I had a non-art degree (trying to pivot now) but I'm sure it's a fantastic program. Let me know if you have any general questions about the school/campus/area/anything!